Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• Wrexham need defenders, not strikers.

4 games in to the season and they’ve shipped on average 3.25 goals per game.

• Hopefully they can spend their way back to a "romantic" upward trajectory.

• Luke Freeman has just been released by Luton. Would he be worth a short term contract here to give us an experienced wide option for the squad?

• Luke Freeman

• Actual lol

• Jack Young to Ayr? Loan or transfer not sure.

• Great player but out of our range I think. Still good enough for the Championship and would imagine that he's got a fair few suitors given his skill set.

• Reports that Wrexham have made a second "improved" bid for Hanlan. I suspect any willingness by us to sell would be partly influenced by the severity of Taylor's injury.

• The very bad side of me did wonder on Saturday whether Brandon's much livelier sub appearance than in the Orient game had anything to do with the fact that there is interest and potential people watching. Hopefully it was just that he wanted to do well, espc against Barton

• Or maybe he wanted to get one over his former club?

• well, you'd expect with comments like these from the reprobate man-child Barton, he'd be at least a little pumped up...

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/highwycombe/23395548.joey-barton-insults-wycombe-striker-ex-rovers-player/

• Anyone who has heard of Barton knows he's an arse, those unfortunate enough to have had any dealings with him will have extra motivation.

Would be interested to know what the management would want to let Brandon go and move on to other targets, his appearance at the weekend wouldn't have done bidders any favours.

• I guess it is prob dependant on us lining up a replacement. Whether its Uche or someone else or Matt might favour sticking with TJ? Recalling Mellor is out of the question as he can't be recalled in this window

• edited August 2023

Mustard is a more effective impact sub than TJ, ship the lad out on loan to get some game time.

• I am guessing it will come down to 2 things. When will Taylor be back? Is there an option on the cards on Matt's wish list?

If Taylor is out for months, then we MUST get someone in if Hanlan goes. If there is someone on Matt's wishlist that he would love but can't have because of resources and Hanlan brings in those resources then all good with me.

Phillips looks like he has a goal in him and Tjay must be able to score more than five in a season.

• Based on Saturday or the last 6 months to a year? Hanlan looks more like he has potential to go on a run now but has delivered very little recently. Also the financial difference in letting TJ or Brandon leave could be very different.

If Wrexham think they can wave a celebrity in front of him and he'll get all excited and we'll let him go for nothing they can do one.

• edited August 2023

The relative merits of Mustard to Wrexham is a different point to the one I made. I’d retain both but TJ needs game time, arguably at a level where he can learn more.

TJ is a solid annoying terrier for defences, an on form (perhaps not regular enough) Hanlan is capable of terrorising defences (as he did on Saturday). Different gravy, potentially.

• I’m really undecided on Hanlan. If we could get a replacement in because Wrexham are willing to pay big money then I could happily live with that. That said I’m not sure the problem is solved by a striker, it would be solved by the right service to the strikers we have. The problem then becomes if you have several strikers with different service needs unless you have a very adaptable team it doesn’t work.

We have Vokes and hopefully Taylor as seeming 1st choice. Can we work out a way to supply them effectively? If so then do we want a backup/impact sub who is very different in style? Arguably you want two or more. Like for like Vokes/Taylor swaps when goals are needed and a hold up player for protecting a lead. I don’t think Brandon is either of those players.

Do you build a system around players or get players who fit a system? Managers who can’t commit to one or the other have a tendency to put out teams who look confused on the pitch.

I think the Gaffer is a ‘right players for my system’ manager - find them or work to shape the ones we have. Can we shape Brandon into it?

• edited August 2023

For what it’s worth, I‘d be quite keen to let Brandon go. It seems like Dale Taylor isn’t out for the long term - he’s just been called up to the NI squad for next month. A good opportunity to get a relatively unimpressive higher earner off the books. Good move for all involved.

• How do you know he's a higher earner out of interest?

• Cup games, International call.ups and injuries will come so for me, unless they need the money for The Player, we would be better hanging on to everyone until January and see where we are.

• I don’t. I’m making a guess based on us paying a fee for him to a rival club with a bigger fan base than us and then having the confidence to give him a three year deal.

• A three year deal may just as well signal a lower (guaranteed) wage. The double whammy of a high earner for three years isn’t our normal approach

• Richie's ears will be twitching. Will probably be a BFP story on Friday.

• edited August 2023

Irrespective of how one feels about Uche, it would be nice for him to actually get to play in front of an AP crowd (not counting that one Covid game).

I actually wasn't his biggest fan in the Champo, as I thought he could be a little too selfish, but with how we are struggling to create too much right now, I have come around to the idea of an absolute Adonis picking up the ball from midfield and running at the opposition with huge strides before unleashing a vicious shot...

• Selfish? He almost single handedly kept us in the Championship. Uche about 10 times the player Hanlan is. Would be a mega signing.

• Possibly uninspiring scoring record aside...Uche could still be a handful in League One. If we have the dollar...

• edited August 2023

As in "shooting from near the touchline at an impossible angle rather than passing" selfish - you don't remember that? I do think we would have stayed up with a full season of he and Taffs, for sure, for what it's worth.

• I agree - he was on pace for about 12 in a full Champo season, so no reason he couldn't get around that in L1.

I think we need someone who simply causes havoc and is a bit of a wildcard, which we have missed since Mehmeti left.