Skip to content

Which sport were you best at?

Comments

• For a sport you surely have to move more than a few yards, at some sort of effort level.

Although I'm now suddenly wondering about Bowls. Game or sport?

• There are some terrifying stories of injuries sustained during bowls matches, when the bowler drives the jack.

• Simon Garner wasn’t a sportsman? Shame on you sir!

• Rugby is about as relevant as a sport as 'Kick the can' . As the main object in both of the games, doesn't roll in anyway that it can be considered a skill by those who kick it.

• Was reading the comments and was about to defend Simon Garner... glad to see others have already done so !

• See, told you all this is a fun game. I wonder if a thread of C**t or W****r would see us all through the summer.

• Matt Hancock

• Breaks the first rule. They have to arguably be either, not both.

• Finding a both is part of the game, but he’s defo just one of them.

• Piers Morgan an example of both?

• Interesting shout, but I’d still only have him in the first. Twice.

• Graham Linehan is both

• @Chris many would argue he is neither, I accept he is the latter, curious why you think he is both?

• edited May 2023

I’m having great difficulty understanding the basis of definition of categories. Must be an age thing but I’m sure I qualify for both, at various times, in the eyes of fellow Gasroomers (and others!).

Shame that this thread has taken such a sad turn. Very much a reflection of the age we’re living in, I suppose.

• @Erroll_Sims Putting aside the content of his argument that trans rights are in conflict with womens rights (I strongly believe they are not), his behaviour is unacceptable.

He was banned from Twitter in 2020 for hateful conduct, he returned post-Elon and was banned again which is some feat considering what is now allowed on there. He enables and encourages harassment of people he disagrees with. He is a bully. He makes inappropriate references to child abuse and the holocaust. He frequently belittles people based on their appearance.

It’s sad for him that he has become so obsessed with trans rights that he spends his entire life battling on social media. It’s also sad for his family, friends and co-workers. But mostly it’s sad for the people he targets.

• edited May 2023

I don't think he has any family, friends or co-workers left @Chris. His wife and kids have left him and he's begging for money on YouTube every week. There's a quite epic timeline of his descent into madness over on Cook'd and Bombd - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=102224.0

• I like Darts and it’s a feat of relentless accuracy and concentration. But that also applies to chefs, and cooking isn’t a sport.

Cycling is a genuine sport. Athleticism and danger in abundance. Road cycling is amazing. 200km stages day after day, mountains, stray dogs, random spectators getting in the way, riders continuing with broken bones. Plus an insane scoring system and random judges making up rules as they go along.

• I've definitely come around to cycling being a sport. Also helped by that fella laying flat on his bike like superman while on a downhill.

• That’s a hell of a charge sheet.

I saw him ranting about Stewart Lee a year or two back but didn’t know he’d gone rogue.

And thanks for the C&B link. I haven’t been on there for years and had forgotten all about it.

• Phew! Just started to read out the list of alleged charges to mrs micra. After the first 20 she said “stop, that’s quite enough!”

All news to both of us and disappointing in the sense that all we did know was that he was one of the script writers for Father Ted which gave us many a laugh back in the day.

We’ve always had a rather childlike and silly (unsophisticated) sense of humour - witness in particular Dad’s Army - as well as, for decades, being addicted to Fawlty Towers (repeated endlessly) and, best of all, Only Fools and Horses (ditto).

• i forgot to call it football forgive me please

• Linehan’s been involved in some great stuff but has completely lost his way. An absolute horror these days.

• I do like watching Linehan's YouTube videos though, it's like watching a live nervous breakdown as he shakes with rage at the fact that some rando celebrity hasn't jumped to his defence. Always reminds me of the old Alexei Style character Bobby Chariot - "I'm sleeping in me Jag you know, I'm on pills for me nerves."

• edited May 2023

The thing is with these people (Linehan, Andrew Lawrence, Morrissey, Lawrence Fox, the banjo man from that poshoes folk group) is that they are not 'cancelled' it's just that they lose the wider audiences that retain empathy or conscience. They can still make a good living playing to their base.

I would imagine a lot of people who would quite happily have kicked fey, outsider, shoe-gazing Morrissey to death in the 1980s and 1990s, or shoot Mumford and Sons in their tweed trousers will be taking their white supremacist tattoos, Bully XL dogs and teenage girlfrends along concerts to wave flags and sing 'This Charming Man' or (insert M&Sons song here) or at a small theatre near you to laugh at things 'no-one is allowed to say', or on a News channel with no viewers, now they are no longer poncey liberal actors, comedians or musicians but proper foreigner hating, Brexiteer, transphobic 'English' Twitter bullies like.

(Some of the above is generalisation for effect.)

• @Chris fair enough, I do think Linehan has taken the vitriol too far & is doing his argument/cause no favours - a charge that can also be levelled at TRA's who resort to violence, death threats, abuse etc. to those who oppose them.

My issue with the likes of Linehan, Lozza Fox, Lee Anderson, India Willougby, Katie Montgomery et al is their inability to engage in an honest conversation/debate around their position & they invariably resort to lies & the continual inane spouting of ridiculous mantras that have little or no foundation in reason.

• “very fine people on both sides”

• There's an obvious one we've all missed. That jumped-up gold-chain-wearing, Rolex-toting weapons-grade fuckwit we all lovingly know as Al*n Fucking Sm*ith. I thank you...