Skip to content

EFL Playoff Chat 22/23

Comments

• There's only 12 teams that haven't come from non league to the top flight though I would say.

• edited May 2023

I can't imagine how this feels for fans who followed them through every division. Though I think the Prem is overhyped and overblown with a lot of arena library stadiums, it still must be amazing for Luton fans (after next season) to remember league visits to Maidenhead and Manchester United within such a relatively short space of time, seeing the full spectrum of stadiums from five divisions.

• Villa, Derby, Stoke, Blackburn, Sheff Wed, Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea...?

• Bolton?

• Here's hoping we had a sell on fee with Fred that involves Luton getting promoted....

• edited May 2023

Quite looking forward to seeing City/Utd/Liverpool fans crammed in to that away end next to someone’s living room.

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2023

With respect, a poor effort.

You go from Lancashire down to the West Midlands then the East Midlands.

Preston, Burnley, Blackburn, Accrington FC (not Stanley) - The mid Lancs stripe

Down to Bolton and Everton

Don't forget Stoke

Then the West Midlands Wolves, Baggies, Villla

East Midlands Derby, and the oldest, Notts County

Should be a year 8 lesson imho

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2023

Chelsea are one of the youngest League clubs, founded in 1905!

(Not as young as Leeds, a city that resisted assosiation football for a long time)

• Liverpool famously came out of Everton

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2023

You didn't mention Spurs but the only non-League club to have won the Cup (post League creation) in 1901

• Dammit, Liverpool were non-League for one season.

Weren't Accrington only in the 'top flight' when it was the only flight?

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2023

Founder members Accrington FC descended into 'Non-league' rather quickly, before disbanding. (I think the second division was created in their last League season)

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2023

Accrington Stanley have certainly never played in the 'top flight.'

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2023

The 'hotbed' of football in Lancashire that existed in those formative days continues to cause problems for former mill towns. Rochdale relegated out of the League, Bury thrown out of the League, Bolton lucky to survive, Stanley revived by milk. But next week we will witness the first ManC v ManU Cup final

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2023

Or Alnwick v Newton Heath as older readers will recognise

• Congratulations Carlisle!

Now, any chance we can get Beany on co-comms for the home game against them?

• I see the equaliser was scored by Omari Patrick, son of Adrian Patrick (Both Slough born), I used to run against his Dad in the late 80’s before he went on to Commonwealth gold in the 4x400.

I was hoping Stockport would come up as it’s an easier away day than Carlisle.

• First time two finals in one season have gone to pens in

• Anyone else notice how for the most part, the teams that finished higher up the league have held serve?

Conference final: Notts County (2nd) beat Chesterfield (3rd)

L2: Carlisle (5th) beat Stockport (4th)

L1: Final is Wednesday (3rd) v Barnsley (4th)

Champo: Luton (3rd) beat Coventry (5th)

No "snuck in at last minute" clubs getting promoted this season, and only Coventry prevented all finals being between the two teams directly below the autos.

• Thought Stockport deserved to go up but great scenes for Carlisle. Green and white away kit next season?

• I'd rather have the really smart yellow one that we wore for the playoff semi up there.

• Harry Isted is putting in an incredible performance in goal for Barnsley, including one genuinely world class save. One of the best I've ever seen.

Barnsley have been down to ten men for seemingly ages but Barnsley are hanging on in there. Second period of extra time just started

• And a world class goal to win it for Wednesday.

• Congratulations to Wednesday.... our unofficial twinned club

• Barnsley didn't deserve that. Sometimes it's just written in the stars

• Long ball shite

• It was one of those saves where you had to watch the replay because you couldn't really work out what had happened and then when you saw the replay it was better than you could have imagined

Genuinely world class

• Really wanted Barnsley to win, so much braver than Wednesday. And Windass just came across as a complete arrogant and brash bellend too.