Skip to content

Farewell Curtis

13»

Comments

• Agree with this. I was ridiculed by some fans (not on here) when I nominated him MOTM on behalf of the sponsors on his 2nd or 3rd appearance. Quality player, lovely guy and so very humble. He leaves with a lot of well deserved gratitude and good wishes.

• Can still name them all. Where as I’ll draw a complete blank when it comes to players from 5 years ago.

• I can't remember who played last week.

• Went to every single game that season home and away, even though I had to work every other Saturday till 11.30.

Even turned up to an end of season 5 a side tournament at Clarence Park, St Albans, unfortunately Wanderers had pulled out, but it wasn't publicised.

One of my favourite ever seasons, and probably the season that saw us finally start to show genuine ambition after a number of years treading water.

• It was my first full season. Great to see Jason ‘Zico’ Seacole in the pic, giving off major geography teacher vibes.

• Michael Mahoney Johnson instead of waiting with 100s of others to get Ray Wilkins was my most curious decision.

• @arnos_grove (or anyone else...) Not specifically testing your above claim - but it's been driving me nuts thinking who the guy is on the end of the bottom row next to Neil Price. I'm just not picturing him at all. Please put me out of my misery...! (I've got all the others...)

• George Link, Declan's Brother.

• edited May 2023

Oh, of coooooourse...!

Dear oh lore, and I got Declan as well....

I bet I still wouldn't have remembered George, even if he'd been sitting next to him... (I mean, as a pair of brothers, they're a bit like William and Harry, to be fair)

• Is Anthony Riley missing from that picture?

It was my first season too and the memories are hazy, but I can’t see him there. Had he left by then?

• He lost his place to Kirk Corbin, He moved to VS Rugby. I'm sure he played for them when we won at Butlin Rd in the FA Trophy in 90/91.

• edited May 2023

Andy Graham is the tall high foreheaded chap two places to the left of Gary Lester.

There’s a long screed about Andy on Google including some memorable photos for which I’ve been trying (in vain) to copy and paste a link. I’d long left Wealdstone when he fetched up there but he was evidently an almost instant hero in 1985 before transferring to the better stuff at Loakes Park.

• Andy Graham didn't drive and his fashion sense was a bit like Jarvis Cocker's. Often sore him in the Blues club in flared slacks.

He missed the coach at the normal pick up point on that memorable Monday night at Bognor. So he missed out playing on that never to be forgotten evening.

• Crikey, Chas. What a night that was. Travelled there with Tony Stallwood, a guy I’ve not seen for about 15 years. Not sure 🤔 if it was sea fret or not but it was pretty foggy and we feared the match would be called off.

• It was very foggy, especially the 2nd half. Bognor's big centre half, I think his name was Billy Gill had been giving Wycombe players and fans gip that night.

There is a classic photo of Noel Ashford gloating when Gill heads through his own goal to give us the winner.

Because of the sea mist, there was a delayed spell to whether the ball actually went in. We responded to our players reactions.

• Did they not have the rights to the real Nirvana frontman?