Skip to content

Farewell Curtis

edited May 2023 in Football

A great servant and quiet genius, the beating heart of mid field. We’ll miss him

He just announced his departure on Instagram

Comments

• Wait, what? Curtis has gone?

Ah man, he is one of my all time favourite Wycombe players, so calm and dependable.

What a shame he was hit with such devastating injuries these past few seasons. Not many teams could cope against a Curtis / Josh midfield pairing.

• What a shame. Thought he was a cracking player (when fit).

• Not surprised, but what a phenomenal player. Deemed surplus to requirements by Notts County in League Two, shone for us all the way up to the Championship.

• One of those genuinely sad ones. Superb on his day when fully fit but increasingly rare. Hope he can get fit and find a new club. Thanks Curtis and all the very best.

• How was this communicated btw? I can’t see any mention of it on the WWFC website or Twitter.

• From the wording of the message it would seem that this is pretty mutual. Probably the right decision from his and our side.

Good luck in the future Curtis !

• Thanks Curtis for all your efforts. Hoping you manage to keep fit and find a decent club.

Who can forget that thunderbolt against Oxford.

https://www.facebook.com/wwfcofficial/videos/341870914377719/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

• edited May 2023

What a shame. Great player for us. Hope he finds another team that appreciates him!

What with him from County and Kashket from Leyton, Kevin Nolan's judgement worked out well for us!

• Ahhhh that’s a bummer. Super player. Brutal luck with injury. He will do well for someone.

Gape v Thompson. I dunno it’s a close call

• It was expected but it doesn’t make it any nicer, especially as we didn’t have a proper goodbye performance. What a superb midfielder. I’ll even miss his pirouettes in our own half.

• He'd be a great fit for Notts County if they make it to league 2 next year.

• edited May 2023

A great signing and a brilliant player, rarely have we had someone in that defensive midfield role who is so good on the ball and makes mugs of people, let's hope next season he gets games somewhere, same with Gapey if someone signs him on a free and he gets fit someone is getting a massive bargain. And 🖕 Kevin Nolan. All the best and thanks.

• Sublime player .

• Ah, what a sad day. Absolute legend, even with limited appearances over the last few years. I can say nothing but wish him the absolute best. There are some fine Curtis moments, but the last gasp winner against Morecambe for 4-3 must take the cake!

• Has been tremendous for us, and could have gone onto be one of our all time greats, but for his underlying injury problems.

Will be remembered fondly, because his workrate and standards never dropped, just his availability.

A sad but inevitable day.

• Others on the way... incoming

• edited May 2023

The club have just announced Gmac and Tafazoli are signed on but among those leaving are Freeman, Horgan, Wing and Willis

• I thought Wingy was still contracted?!

• Such a shame, easily in my top three players in the current squad. I remember rubbishing his signing after the first couple of appearances, wondering where our ambition had gone in taking on a such an out-of-his-depth reject, only to gladly eat my words as he rapidly powered on into the first name on the teamsheet. Such a dependable, calm, rock of a midfielder with exceptional reading of the game and a fantastic confidence in his ability to take on any player and win. A fantastic, selfless servant of the club who will always have that season gracing the Championship to remember.

• Mellor still here, I thought his contract ended 2023!

• Shame to see Curtis go. Some great moments and a proper team player. I wish him all the best.

• Almost Steve Brown-esque in looking a headscratching signing at first, but once he was established he was real quality.

No doubt the total commitment style helped get those injuries, but an always to be remembered high contribution to the cause.

• So sad to see Curtis go. I've been watching this team a very long time but he's one of my favourite ever players and one of the best to ever wear that famous quartered shirt

• Absolutely this.

Almost Steve Brown-esque in looking a headscratching signing at first

But not this. I remember having this argument at the time after one of his very early (maybe first?) appearances away at Barnet where I thought he was a brilliant signing - all the traits that everyone came to love were on display straight away.

• A real high quality player, as shown by looking very at home in the Championship. Such a shame injuries made his departure inevitable.

Really hope he's able to find a good club and put his injury problems behind him.

• Very disappointed to see Curtis leaving, a really outstanding footballer. If someone had offered us a million quid for him at the end of the season in the Championship I wouldn’t have been surprised - he was that good that year.

You have to wonder to what degree it was a fitness related decision. Maybe, maybe not.

Hope he gets back to his best - ironically if he does they’ll be a set of fans at his next club wondering how the hell we let him go, much as we’ve often wondered of Notts County.

All the best Curtis.

• I'm probably meaning more the time it took him to get established, rather than him having any ropey appearances early on like Brownie did.

Memory may fail me but did he not come in when we were league 2 and barely get a look in, but then when he got in stayed in?

• Totally agree @eric_plant snd we've had some decent midfielders. Me too @drcongo I seem to recall jumping to his defence early on.

• This is more how I remember it too, as far as not many appearances in 17/18.

Just looked, and he played 132 minutes in 7 sub appearances in 17/18.

• yeah, seems “mutual”, in that he’s been fit for weeks but MB hasn’t found space for him in his game plans. Feels like a mistake, probably my favourite player in my time watching (only the last ten years), I hope he gets a job that matches his talents and humility and he kicks on