Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• Must admit I didn't even realise he was a loanee. Thought we had a tonne load of development keepers!

• Was there a disclaimer about some food/kiosk stuff couldn't be changed while it was still in contract?

Do we know if that contract is now ending?

• This is very true, I always seem to forget it in the heat of the moment though

• The comments on here are hilarious. Some of the same characters who have been idiots all season. This was a nothing game. Taffazolli is a great player. The team gave and always give 100%.

League One seasons are long. I'm all in favour of players saving themselves from injury and cruising for the last few nothing games. We missed out on promotion because our best two players left and we get a boatload of injuries. No lack of effort. Not due to Blooms.

We need to start preparing ourselves to properly support MB and whatever team he puts together over the summer.

• Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially on here, 1 game or 1000 watched but can you imagine if the club listened to even half of the suggestions? They'd be sacking managers quicker than Watford and going through players quicker than Barry Fry on the 90s. Not asking for anyone to share any opinions but maybe a little balance.

• We haven’t had a ‘boatload of injuries’.

The reality is that we haven’t had anymore injuries than anyone else. We just haven’t got a squad to deal with anymore than 2 injuries at any one time and that’s been our big problem all season.

Hopefully MB will be given time and budget to build a more robust squad for next season.

• edited April 2023

So simultaneously the team gave 100%, as always, yet at the same time players were cruising the last games to protect themselves in a nothing game.

Brilliant.

• Maybe if players are choosing to save themselves they should a) tell the manager, b) tell the fans ‘hey guys don’t hate on me I’m gonna give a strong 40% but you know I’m off to Dubai soon so need to keep a bit in the tank’

Maybe if a player is out of contract saving themselves is not really the perfect message

• Yes this is his moment, he told us that the 75% prevented these big investments well that’s not the problem now.

Rob hasn’t done anything to really rile the supporters and he seems likeable enough but he has made promises and we should expect him to make good on them.

• Even if the players were allowed to cruise, wouldn't it still be disconcerting that Cheltenham's cruise control is so much better than ours?

My most significant concern is that in our upward rise we have always had X factors, players who were almost unplayable on their day. Bayo, Fred, Uche (though I was not as high on him as others), GMac in his pomp, and Mehmeti. That always gave us a bit of a wildcard edge. The current squad is talented, but without that unconventional maverick that opposing teams struggle to plan for. They don't grow on trees, either.

• Yes, we shouldn't overlook that we've just been battered two weeks in a row by the sort of average lower table sides we'd have earmarked as definite wins earlier in the season. Plus the fact they've been on the beach for weeks.

While we shouldn't get "too" down, we can't just blow it off as "end of season malaise".

• This is pretty much my hope for next season. Avoiding a relegation battle whilst developing a coherent playing style.

When Scowen re-signed I had that warm feeling that a team with him in it would always be hard to beat. The evidence of the past two Saturdays has significantly cooled that expectation.

• My hope for next season is one that sees us being competitive enough to not stress about relegation whilst developing some younger talents ready for another go the following year.

All within a budget that doesn’t endanger our very future.

• Now I’ve calmed down after yesterday I haven’t seen anything articulate or intelligent about yesterdays utter crap performance. I’ve been supporting Wycombe for a long time and had highs and lows. But that was definitely not acceptable. I’m still going to Portsmouth next week to support my team but my God do they need a Bomb up there you know what.

• I had been wondering how we managed to come 9th when the season has felt like such a struggle, and then a friend pointed out the following:

26 games at beginning and end of season combined = 26 points

Middle 20 games = 42 points

So we have basically gone Relegation form, Automatics form, Relegation form over the course of the season! Coupled with our (at one point) first half promotion form and second half regelation form within games, and we are quite the enigma!

• Well, if everyone is massively downing expectations, then yes, we might have a decent season 😁

• I think it will be a scrap next year, as I see the top as getting weaker (Wigan Blackpool and Reading replacing Ipswich, Plymouth and another big club) whereas I see the bottom as getting stronger (Orient, Stevenage and perhaps Northampton and Stockport replacing Morecambe, Accy, Forest Green and Cambridge). I think it is going to be even more of an "anyone can beat anyone" season, but especially tough for anyone battling relegation, as there are not going to be many obvious contenders for the drop at the start.

• Let’s not forget that the team that got us to within touching distance of the playoffs included Mawson, Mehmeti, Vokes, McCleary and Obita, all of whom were unavailable for selection by Bloomfield for the majority of his games in charge. Also, we were 7th when GA left and we will finish 8th if we beat Portsmouth next week, so not exactly a disaster. Yesterday was awful, but let’s keep things in perspective.

• Hey! Some of us are massively uping our expectations. I usually have us nailed on for relegation the following season by the end of April

• We've averaged 1.25 PPG in 12 games under Blooms, compared to 2.33 PPG in Gaz's last 12 games - which were arguably tougher. Injuries and departures have obviously had an impact, but we've had key players out all season. There's been a concerning and undeniable drop in quality.

• Yeah, you'd definitely have ditched Gaz way before Torquay

• edited April 2023

Reading that it sounds like we've barely had any difference in results 🤣

In reality, Gaz had already lost Mehmeti and Mawson, yet oversaw a 5 game winning streak, beating teams above us. We left that Bolton game utterly cock a hoop, as we were right on the borderline of the playoffs and had incredible momentum.

Since then we've barely won a game, none on Saturdays, totally lost sight of how we play, and have slipped as far off the playoffs as we could reasonably have done.

Roll on the summer though. Sign a centre back and an attacking mid and I'm back on the playoff train.

• The Saturday thing is weird. I’ve no idea what a normal week of training looks like, but I wonder if Blooms has changed something that has thrown everyone off.

• I thought the stat was wrong, remembering Forest Green. But of course, that was a Bank Hol Monday!

• We’re nailed on the win at Portsmouth at least.

• I don't know. It could be a weekend jinx rather than just a Saturday!

• The penalty shoot out in the World Chess Championship was a classic. The equivalent in football would be nine perfectly taken spot kicks and then the drama. The tenth guy steps up and places it to the keeper's left, who also lunges that way for a comfortable save to take it into sudden death. But, the goalie plays safe and pushes it onto the post, and the ball runs back along the line before spinning in off the far upright for a dramatic victory. Emotional scenes ensue and I think a locker or two may have taken the brunt of the vanquished's disappointed. My feet were sweating in the dying moments! Sport at it's finest.

• Watching chess can give you sweaty feet! Who knew?

• Wasn't there talk recently that someone was cheating, by hiding a device about his person and then someone external pulsating said device to designate a computer suggested move?