Skip to content

Max stays!

Comments

• @micra I didn't play at any level beyond being sent to the other end of the field with the fatties and asthmatics to 'kick about a bit and keep out of my way' while the PE teachers coached the school team, but I have watched a lot. Vokes is very good. Max is very good. I thought Wheels was very good before he was very good.

But like life it's all open to argument.

• Max is exactly the right amount of unhinged to be a great keeper.

• Excellent news on Max, I can only conclude that we had an option to extend as I find it impossible to believe that there were not Championship clubs willing to offer him three or four times the salary and give him a platform at a higher level t’boot. Will be watching tomorrow with a warm glow that we have secured Max’s services for next season.

I cannot get behind the talk about missing out on Bishop being a blessing in disguise though, that’s simply an unknown. If we go back to the start of the season people were referencing the impressive season he had with a poor Southend defence in front of him and that his time at Man Utd could only have improved him. Moreover the same staff that picked out Max had singled Bishop out first. Wherever Bishop goes next season (assuming ManUtd have irked him sufficiently for him to leave), I will be watching his performances with interest to see what we might have had.

• We could still sell him...

• edited April 2023

I would love to read a book penned by ‘Close Quarters’ Neil Harman interrogating how loosing out on a keeper at Man U led to unearthing a keeper of Max’s ability.

• I don’t think I would be trying to engineer a deal but if an offer came in and all parties are happy and it keeps the club in the black and Bishop came in as a replacement, that wouldn’t be the worst thing that ever happened at AP.

• I believe Gary Holt tipped us off about Max, after we were scrabbling round for a keeper.

• Wonder if there is a release clause too .

• Max seems very comfortable around this area and I suspect he will stay unless an offer from a top championship team turns his head.

• We have to remember none of the players we love were pulling up the trees wherever they were before which is why we got them and it may be that, despite some newspaper talk, none of them are on anybody's radar. Just a thought. And yes, like Wing, contract or not we could still sell Max if Man U need a sixth goalie or something.

• I think we massively overestimate the interest in our players at times but then we had two nicked on frees at the end of last season with little notice and sold one for our record fee earlier in the season. Wing being linked away was on the back of a run of half a dozen bangers in close succession, he's been quieter since and that may help us retain him.

• edited April 2023

I actually worry more about losing him with Blooms as manager as I sense we might start playing out from the back - which Max seems more comfortable with than kicking long, based on the times I've seen him receive the ball to feet under pressure. His long distribution is so-so, but if he ends up in a system which emphasises short goal-kicks then he could look like an even more fantastic GK.

• @StrongestTeam are we talking Tools and Stockdale? Pity about both. As for Mehmetti, not unlike Gaz we were losing him regularly for about a year! (His departure was no surprise in the end though...)

• Bristol City don't seem to see what they have in Mehmeti, as he is generally a sub now (I am sure their fans are having Nick Freeman style debates even as we speak). Hopefully he can kick on there and force them to play him by his sheer speed of development.

• We are. And you are right. But this is the right place for obsessing about minute details. People move on. Let's start worrying about Blooms recruitment abilities or if there's any wriggle room for him in the budget :)

• I think we overestimate the demand for Wycombe players. I just don’t think other clubs view our lads as ‘ready for a higher level’ very often.

• Great News. For eye is the best signing of the season. So glad he’s hear next year.

• Great News. For me he is. Apologies for the spelling error. Going back to sleep.

• I was wondering if he wears glasses.

• Probably just as well he doesn’t.

we used to hear about players losing contact lenses during matches. Have they gone out. of fashion?

• You don’t here fans shouting ‘you need specs ref’ much anymore.

• I thought Mehmeti going in the end actually was a surprise.

We all expected it for weeks then thought we'd got away with it, only for Mickey Bell's favourite big club to nick him late on. Not at all down to that chief exec who went there obviously.

• Making those spectacular saves wearing spectacles would be quite a spectacle for spectators.

• I'm not sure we should speculate on such special scenes.

• I was going to say “you’re so kind to offer such effusive praise” but the edge wore off a little when the penny dropped that you were punning ! Not sure if words that were in my original comment count as puns but thanks, anyway.

And the coffee suggestion still stands. @ReturnToSenda might like to join us as he rates the place (and us of course!). I can only speculate.

• Max stays (on his line) - not!

But we forgive him because he saved us multiple times through the season.