Skip to content

Man of the Match - MK Dons (H)

2»

Comments

• Oh how I miss a good old fashioned 442 with proper wingers

• Of course he didn’t. And nor would I. But Vokes was unavailable so it would probably have made sense to play his apprentice had he still been at the club. That was the sole premise of my original comment. It was purely hypothetical.

One thing I never do is get heated. Frustrated through incomprehension probably best sums it up. And yes, Rizla thin skin, I suppose ! All that lèse majesté, how dare they !

• edited April 2023

The glory days of central defenders whose primary job was defending. Full backs who could have a sortie forward, but could actually defend too. Two centre mids who could do a bit of everything, rather than the loathsome "holding" mid, or "attacking" mid terms. Wingers who played on their strong foot side and tried to actually cross it and beat a man.

Then two actual strikers, making the point of crossing more useful, rather than lamping one in to try and pick out one striker against 2 or 3 utter monster defenders.

Glory days.

• I still don't understand the place of the modern "wing back" really. I used to play left wing in the sides I played for, (mostly picked because I was the only natural left footer available), never beat a defender per se. Push the ball 1 yard to the left and lump it in to the two forwards simple! 😉