Skip to content

Gasroom Playlist Picks

Comments

• Great story @YorkExile - and clear you are being more than a little modest in your telling of it!

• I saw The Selector down The White Horse in the 90s. Great gig, up close and personal. No fighting by then, unfortunately.

• Did you have any Wycombe/Col U "bants" with Lamacq when you met him?

• If that gig was early 90's ( I think Bitty McLean was the support act) They were incredibly tedious. As a teen/youth loved UB40, but saw them twice live, and was extremely disappointed.

• I think it probably was about then. I'll be honest I'm not a massive reggae fan so probably never should've gone in the first place though

• Slightly OT but I see The Sultans of Ping are touring the 30th anniversary of Casual Sex at the Cineplex on Nov 11 in Islington.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning.

Any Gasroomers fancy going? I might be going on my own as none of my friends are interested and it’s over 18s only so I can’t take either of my kids!

• I played the recorder at school. I can still taste the pink disinfectant from the bucket it was pulled from, and feel the bite marks of the phallus on my tongue.

• @eric_plant Amongst heavy competition, was about to say 'best so far', but the third choice was lost on me. Strong darts going for the second greatest England World Cup song ever though. Respect.

• Great thread by the way. So looking forwards to @trevor’s contribution.

)And genuinely not joking)

• edited March 2023

This has got me thinking. The best live performer I've ever seen is probably Jack White at the Apollo (also saw him at the o2, although that was probably a bit too big for him), but blink-182 were phenomenal on my one and only trip to Reading festival in 2014. Wildcard choice: Carly Rae Jepsen at Somerset House last summer was a hell of a lot of fun.

Worst: the Strokes left me thinking 'Is this it?' with a pretty lacklustre performance in Hyde Park a few years back, overshadowed by support act Beck big time. But I think I've been lucky not to see anyone truly bad.

• I saw The Strokes at a festival once and they were abysmal.

• Have a listen to it, it will put a smile on your face

• edited March 2023

I love a good tribute band. The Bootleg Beatles were fun (saw them in Watford - I think - in the late 90s), but the best for me was 'The Magical History Tour' in Las Vegas, where the tribute band was backed by a full orchestra and went through the Beatles' eras chronologically, performed absolutely perfectly. Great stuff.

• 'Fair Enough' doctor c nails it once again.

From wiki...'Fair Enough' were formed in Swindon during the noughties 'britpop' continuation. Made up of friends Clive Cooper and Will Smith, Fair Enough built on the cultural influences that were affecting the Rodbourne district of Swindon during the revolutionary times of political acceptance. The popularity of first hit 'Shed Wrestling' featuring Wycombe journalist Ian Baker was partly attributed to the coincidence with the new cultural phenomenon of YouTube, which propelled previously 'normal' mundane British acts of drunken behaviour into the international internet arena.

• Outing of a fellow Gasroomer. Is that a Yellow or Red Card offence ??

• Alas not. Our chat centred on us trying to get him to play us a bit on his show. I'm not sure I'd have been too popular with my bandmates had I derailed the conversation with such japes. Turns out he never did play us, so I might just as well have gone in hard.

• I had a few beers with him once (sort of a mate of a mate thing)

I wasn't going to mention anything but the conversation turned to football (as it always does) and one of the blokes there asked me who I supported. Lamacq immediately broke into a smile and recalled how not that long ago he'd been followed through Liverpool St station by a group of Wycombe fans chanting "scum" at him (in jest, it must be added)

Really nice bloke, as it goes

• Not many more iconic voices on radio than Steve Lamacq

• Bob Dylan Wembley summer of ‘84. Supported by UB40 and Santana. Nobody shone that day, although we were back row at the top back of the stadium so to be fair it was hard to see and hear much. Santana was dull as ditchwater. That said he was the same at the Albert Hall a year or so before so we knew what we were getting. But worst performance I’ve seen was Meatloaf when he supported Deep Purple Knebworth ‘85. He’d broken his leg a few gigs back or something and was in plaster. Bottles were thrown at the stage, it pissed down all day.

Best gig - impossible to say. So many wee good for so many different reasons.

• edited March 2023

Best bands I've seen live: R.E.M, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Suede, Editors, Biffy Clyro (earlier stuff), The Killers (nearly forgot them).

Worst: One Direction (accidentally ended up seeing an encore), the horrors (lived up to their name), Angels and Airwaves (great music but Delonge can't sing live), Manic Street Preachers (music was fine, they're just so boring live).

• Only time I saw the Manics was supporting Oasis at Maine Road. It was a little lacklustre.

• Curiosity got the better of me and i downloaded that track - Toxicity. Scared the living daylights out of me. Such as they are.

• edited March 2023

Just to clarify. The album was Toxicity. The actual “song” was The Prison. Approach with care.

• I was referencing the single toxicity @micra. That prison song should definitely be approached with caution!

• Bloody hell Micra, I've just listened to 30 seconds of the Prison Song. was that really one of your choices? An interest in Jazz doesn't surprise me, given your eclectic and considered comments on here - which regularly raise a smile - but that seems completely 'left field'.

Do keep being surprising

• Bad luck with the manics above, have seen them a few times, mostly at Wembley, always been great.

• Worst Splodgenessbounds at the White Horse, Max was well under the influence and wearing a neck brace, kept bumping into things, after 3 songs he disappeared, upstairs and the gig was over.

Best live Act probably James, although seen SLF give many brilliant performances and Sultans of ping at the Astoria were tremendous.

• Impressed that we've managed to get micra to listen to Phoebe Bridgers and System of a Down

• @micra I reckon you'd enjoy Slipknot