Skip to content

Gasroom Playlist Picks

Comments

• Wonder if this inspiring little ditty will be on your list, Alan............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64z16Vd69Vs&ab_channel=GriefTourist

Looking forward to your list , mate.

• Ok, no one will be in the least bit surprised to learn that in music- as in most things - I’m a complete dinosaur. My era was the 60s and that’s when most of my favourite tracks were recorded. Believe it or not I had a spell as a DJ on local radio on Merseyside, played football Sunday morning then raced off to present a lunchtime music show called Ring a Winner (still dressed in my kit!).

The Wanderer, Dion.

I was having a meal on a post season tour with the mighty Chairboys in Portugal when the restaurant musician started playing this song. I started a sing song and inserted ‘I’m a wanderer, a Wycombe Wanderer’ into the chorus. A couple of years later I wrote special lyrics to the tune when we reached the FA Trophy final against Kidderminster. Fellow fan Ken Townsend arranged for the team to record the new lyrics at the famous Abbey Road studios. We planned to release a record to raise money for charity but Michael Jackson’s company, who owned the rights, wouldn’t allow it and my chance of appearing on Top of the Pops as a singer-songwriter disappeared.

You’ll never walk alone, Gerry and the Pacemakers.

My first football obsession was Liverpool FC and I started supporting them when they were in the old Second Division playing at a decaying Anfield. My next door neighbours had three sons, two Evertonians and a Liverpool fan so I became a red to even things up - what a great decision that proved to be! A gang of us watched games from the Kop and you had to get there early to get a decent spec. From 2 pm till kick off we would sing all the big 60s hits as they were played on the tannoy and this was always the last to be played, as it still is today. It’s the song I’ve sung more often than any other, usually after a few beers to lubricate the vocal chords.

You’re still the one, Shania Twain.

Bet that surprised you! I had to prove that I’m not completely stuck in the 60s and I’m a big fan of Shania. I’ve seen her live a few times and have tickets for her UK tour in September. Apart from her music, I’m a huge admirer of her as a person. She’s the opposite of a diva having had a really tough upbringing in Canada. Both her parents died in a road accident when she was still a teenager and she had to bring up her siblings alone. This song was played at the funeral of a very dear friend of mine and I always think of him when I hear it.

There are so many of my favourite artists I could have chosen…Beatles, Hollies, Beach Boys, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash etc, but I’ll still with these tracks and if he hasn’t been nominated yet I will go for Malone as next in line.

• https://youtu.be/Pn4kAb3DAhs

The best not Hollies song they never performed.

• Superb darts @glasshalffull. That does impress me much

• Nice one @LX1 !

Lovely nostalgic and thoroughly familiar songs @glasshalffull.

Such a relief not to see a list of previously unheard of groups/bands and having to dip into YouTube Music to have a quick listen (and usually pull out pretty quickly!)

The bands I grew up with had mundane names like Bill Haley and the Comets, Mr Acker Bilk and the Paramount Jazz Band, The Johnstons, The New Seekers and the Modern Jazz Quartet.

Love each and every one of the groups/artists you list in your last paragraph.

• Honestly, I could happily post on a thread about The Beatles all day long.

• edited March 2023

I had a weird dream a little earlier In which I was trying to figure out the names of the excellent quartet of musicians who (until recently at least) masqueraded as the Bootleg Beatles.

Had to get up early (8am) to sort out Luna, son-in-law’s Jack Russell. We’re looking after her following Jon’s spinal surgery last Wednesday. He’s doing well, despite naughtily (some would say foolishly!) discharging himself six hours after major surgery. He is a truly remarkable man.

• I’m short of downwards thumbs.

That do impress me much @LX1.

• edited March 2023
  • Some of the old Black and white footage of the kop singing along to she loves you and others is amazing and the team weren't doing too badly, must have been great times.

• Not sure if it is musical snobbery, but personally I am unable to suspend belief enough to enjoy any tribute bands, @micra . Each to their own I suppose.

• I've noticed that @DevC has nominated Malone but it needs to be @Malone so a notification is sent. @Malone now notified: we're looking forward to your selection.

• edited March 2023

Great playlist picks @glasshalffull apart from the last one, that don't impress me much ;)

edit note: having just re-read the back story to what you wrote, my apologies if that joke was innapropriate.

• Some are so good (Magic - a kind of Queen, Counterfeit Stones, Illegal Eagles etc) that if you sit back, close your eyes (not essential) and wallow nostalgically in the music as part of an enthusiastic, participating audience, you’d be surprised how rewarding it can be.

• No problem, I’m about as far removed from an easily offended snowflake as you will find.

• Looking back up, it was @glasshalffull .

I'll go slightly different, and pick 2 songs that I cannot hear without thinking about Wycombe Wanderers.

Mr Blue Sky, by ELO and Mike and the Mechanics Looking back.

Both take me back to early sort of years going to Wycombe games in the mid 90s, as they were played every single time I went so are permanently fused into my memory to do with Adams Park and that glorious time.

The latter actually from the mid 90s, but I had to actually check the former, 1977 apparently!

I go @Right_in_the_Middle if you're still knocking about?

• LDFLDF
    edited March 2023

Bah, what a swizz @Malone - that's only two. Nice backstory though and I have a fondness for Mr Blue Sky too.

• We could easily fill endless pages of forum-waffle on people's favourite Beatles/Post-Beatles songs. Probably one of the few places where a significant proportion of people can actually remember them!

• My duo just released an independent single, which is on YouTube and iTunes and will shortly be on all of the streaming services. It is more Adele than my usual folky sound.

All opinions welcome - I have a thick skin, so tell me if you hate it, as well as if you like it!

Dusty Crown - YouTube

• You have a lovely voice @Shev

• It’s not my normal type of music @shev but I really enjoyed it.

The lyrics were interesting and the song followed a good structure.

Do you play the guitar and drums?

• A little bit rock a little bit country. What's not to like?

• Decent @Shev I see what you mean about Adele there although I think there’s elements of folk/country too. I could see it taking a country twang rearrangement quite well!

• I play the guitar, and also played the keyboard for the strings (I don't really play keyboard/piano, but it was a pretty simple sequence of notes).

It was originally written very acoustically - almost Spanish in style.

• Really liked that @Shev

Love her vocals, that's my kind of voice

• Thanks @HolmerBlue! I agree on her voice - it has a really nice tone.

• Very good, Mrs Ital who is a big fan of the Shires and Carrie Underwood enjoyed it very much.