Skip to content

Bolton (H) build up thread

Comments

• edited February 2023

Same language different manager. “We know what to expect” and the word strength used regularly.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23327613.bolton-wanderers-boss-ian-evatt-wycombe-wanderers-trip/#comments-anchor

Ainsworth will have a trick up his sleeve with this one! I expect us to use the wings a lot with Chem and Hanlan out wide and a six man defence with Wheeler in the hole behind Vokes

• LDFLDF
    edited February 2023

I've noticed there's no attendance prediction thread for this match. I hope Railway Steve's OK.

• No red chinos, if this game is as exciting as you guys think it will be, I don't want to have an embarrassing damp patch 😲

My usual attire for live matches is an olive green Barbour jacket, dark brown corduroy trousers, and Caterpillar boots.

Even better, Mrs bargepole works for Dreams, and has managed to blag a free ticket from the sponsor allocation, so I'm in the Frank Adams stand, block M, with a freebie.

• Remember you are coming to a football match , and if you remember how attending a football match at Adams Park was portrayed by the BFP (in comparison to a Wasps match) then be prepared for fights between the two sets of supporters before, during and after the game, smashing up local properties and if you need a piss post match you can use one of the house gardens along Hillbottom road, as apparently this is what football supporters did every home game back in the ground share days.

• Ah yes, the ground share days, 2002 - 2014. I attended most Wasps home matches in that period, when we won 3 Premiership titles and two European cups, despite operating on a shoestring as tenants of WWFC.

This may not be a popular opinion on this site, but when Steve Hayes owned both clubs, and there was a proposal for a new stadium complex at Booker, it's a shame that WDC blocked it. If it had gone ahead, Wasps would still be in the Premiership (the move to Coventry was a vanity project, always doomed to fail), and WWFC would have a 20,000 seat stadium to play in, suitable for Championship or even PL football.

And it would probably have had plenty of toilets, so no need to piss in anyone's garden 😲

• edited February 2023

Uh oh. And it was going so well!

You're right, that won't be particular popular on here.

• careful @bargepole! You're stepping into a minefield there with those comments! The firm belief amongst most Wycombe fans is that the new stadium would have been a disaster for the Wanderers. We own Adams Park, but would have been tennants at the proposed stadium. It's all very well have a 20k stadium if you've got the fans to fill it, but keeping in mind we're playing fantastic football at the moment and still only average around 5500 and rarely get attendances above 8k, there'd have been no logic in us leaving a stadium perfect for us to take a chance in a stadium we were never likely to fill. It would have ruined the Wanderers and most likely we'd have taken Wasps down with us, as the finances of the 2 clubs seemed to be so closely entwined.

• You were doing so well until then... don't push your luck. There's not one person on here that wanted that ground... oh, and we all hate Wasps

• The Community Stadium would have sunk WWFC in debt with little chance of earning enough money to service the debt.

We would have been tenants in a stadium we did not own on the back of selling our own ground to finance it all.

Good Reading here https://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/news1011/stadium-update-21jan2011.htm

Delighted you are coming tomorrow and hope you come again, it could be a very exciting run in towards the Playoffs.

• As a block m inhabitant myself I suggest you don't air views like that out loud tomorrow 😉

Also best not to call a throw in a line out, the prawn sarnies sound nice though 😆

• edited February 2023

Polite reminder that egg-chasing is not a real sport

• It must rank somewhere below cheese- rolling, which we covered the other week.

• The bill overlooking AP would be ideal for cheese-rolling

• OK, I get that most Wycombe fans were opposed to the proposed move. And I certainly won't be wearing a black and gold shirt for tomorrow's game.

But that's all history now, we are where we are, and I'm looking forward to seeing Wycombe get into the playoffs, and maybe another Wembley final.

• Mr Bargepole, Drinking each other's piss and shouting "let's smash the oiks" is not considered football etiquette.

Although i do understand why the wet chino brigade had to get obliterated before the game, so it could numb you from the pain of the fondle fest pastime.

• I thought he was ok until he began wittering on about big clubs

• It would have been an unmitigated disaster for WWFC, rattling round 3/4 empty stadium, second fiddle as mere tenants to Wasps. No thank you.

• Hmmm ... surprising then, that in the ground share days, Wasps were getting average gates of around 7,500, compared with 5,500 for the football. Must be a fair number of deluded people in the area.

For England international games at Twickenham, they could sell 4x the 82,000 seat capacity. Not sure you could say that about England internationals at Wembley.

• edited February 2023

What is surprising about a Premiership Rugby Club with a virtual monopoly within a 15 mile radius attracting 50% (maybe less) of the average gate of second/third tier football clubs ?

• This is the South East, a rugby stronghold, and in Wycombe you're talking about a club having to compete with the London football market. In most parts of the the country, there's no way rugby crowds would exceed football crowds in number.

The Twickenham/Wembley thing isn't really a fair comparison as most England football games are qualifiers v unattractive opposition or friendlies - you'd easily be able to sell it out four times over for major tournament matches.

I was being facetious, but I do firmly believe that football and rugby should not intertwine in any way - Wasps have proved that on multiple occasions with their leeching over the decades.

• You put it better than I did @ReturnToSenda.

Chalk and cheese.

• Doubt whether it would require a police presence.

• I know many Wasps fans who enjoyed going to Adams Park but never followed them away or have ever set foot inside the stadium in Coventry. England rugby games are very well supported, as would a game for England’s men’s team against Top 5 opposition (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy or France).

You could counter your argument with Man Utd will get more total attendance this season than the whole of the Premiership rugbys attendance for 22/23 added up. That’s 11 teams with a lower total attendance than one football team.

• Cheers to whoever flagged up that documentary the other week, it was a fascinating watch.

• I think it's worth noting with regards attendances that Wycombe play many more home games than Wasps (possibly twice as many in the league?). Midweek games of which we have several through a season, tend to be very poorly attended compared to Saturday matches and this does have an adverse affect on stated average gates. With club rugby having much fewer matches, a home game is more of an 'event' compared to football where you'll often have 2 home matches in the space of a few days.

Anyway @bargepole enjoy the match. It should be an exciting one! Hopefully you'll want to visit Adams Park and watch the Wanderers again soon!

• I'm not disputing that football, as the national sport, is far more popular and well-supported than rugby, by a factor of 7 or 8 times.

The average Premiership rugby club is comparable, in terms of gates and player wages, with average L1 football clubs. Leicester Tigers, the best supported club in the country, fill their 20,000 capacity stadium for most games, with the other clubs below that number. Also, there are 92 fully professional football clubs in the top 4 leagues, compared with just 11 rugby clubs in the Premiership, and maybe another 4 or 5 in the Championship.

But enough of these comparisons, I'm now fully focused on tomorrow's match, and in particular where to park near the ground.

• edited February 2023

You're comparing a title winning top flight rugby team with a 3rd or even 4th tier football club.

How do your or any top flight rugby club's attendances compare to top of premier league football crowds?

Massively doubt your claim about 320k or so demand for England rugby internationals. But even if that was true do you really think the recent semi final in the Euros would have been lesser for football?

Not surprised in effect stealing another club's ground felt a good idea for your club.

It would have been utterly disastrous for Wycombe. We took years to just about survive once the Wasps mess was unravelled.

And we may not have survived if we'd ended up as tenants to Wasps on a white elephant stadium.

• edited February 2023

The recent international against Italy was not sold out at Twickenham, that would never happen in a football match against Italy at Wembley. You could sell all 90,000 tickets to the Italian community, let alone Englishmen and women.

In the last European winning season for Wasps in 06/07 the attendance for League games was 13000 lower than ours and we were in League 2 at that point.

Keep the stats coming.