Skip to content

Bolton (H) build up thread

(with your permission @Shev )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96yVHkEPNy0

'The police are behaving like pigs...so to speak'

Comments

• one day in the future kids will be doing montages of @bluntphil, his Mexican friend, and the guy who does very questionable regional accents

• You mean to say @bluntphil doesn’t ring round his extensive bbc local radio contacts to get bespoke oppo views from each region game by game!

• I love watching these reruns of Dave Higson's commentaries for the club's video company back in the '80's/90's - the man was a fan, a Scout Leader, community volunteer, a rank amateur commentator and a natural comic genius - but didn't know it. Favourite bits of commentary include "hang on a minute - I'll tell you the score" and "you'd better not be supping cans at the back of the coach lads" (referring to the players). Often parodied but fondly remembered.

• I really like Bolton, in large part down to two of my best mates being Bolton fans, but also Higson, and their attitude isn't one of big club arrogance. They seem to enjoy being the underdogs thumbing the nose at bigger neighbours in Manchester and Liverpool. Out of our playoff rivals, if we don't succeed I hope they do. Hope we win 9 nil on Saturday though obvs!

• Barring the last sentence :) ...kind words - and an interesting perspective as many fans of other clubs think of us as big time charlies because of our history but the reality is that these days we're building back, grateful we didn't go the same way as Bury. To mark our 5000th league game on Saturday, the Times ran an article about our lucky escape:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-bolton-wanderers-went-from-brink-of-liquidation-to-5-000th-league-game-2wrmftfbf

The (now unrealistic) rivalry with the like of Manure goes back to the 50s when we were competing with them but nowadays there's just a general resentment as Bolton was subsumed into Greater Manchester in the 70s and as the town is surrounded by loads of clubs, they eat into our catchment area so the new owners have done a cracking job of getting back to being a local community club to encourage local kids to support the team. It's a good time to support the Wanderers as we seem to be finally heading in the right direction - and a few will no doubt get carried away with that - but for us old timers, we're just happy that we still exist and on a better (if modest) financial footing.

• I like Bolton, real fans!

• Thanks for the interesting backstory, @wanderlust. Good luck with everything AFTER Saturday!

• I hope we still like Bolton after Saturday....

• Owned by a Beaconsfield family who love the club and have changed things dramatically since they took over.

They also sponsor our home end.

• The sons are both Wycombe supporters.

• Apparently Shazza - our Chairwoman - lives in a place called Penn? which is apparently near Wycombe, her kids have a cosmetic dental business in Beaconsfield and Vernon Kaye lives near there and appears in panto at Xmas. I never knew....

We could be twin towns 😉

• Yeah, Ollie was in my year at school

• @wanderlust Yep, Penn is a very nice village just outside of High Wycombe. I understand family who own Bolton are also Wycombe fans, so an interesting fixture for them no doubt!

Should be a cracking game! If it's anything like the standard of the Derby game last Saturday, we're in for a real treat.

• I'll always have a soft spot for Bolton just for Jay Jay Okocha, one of my favourite players of all time. Helps that they seem to have really nice fans too.

• Shame that era in their history is rather tainted by the whole Dr Richard Freeman thing

• That dental business is the main sponsor of the home end at Adams Park.

• edited February 2023

Jay Jay didn't score that many goals for us but that team was full of wonderfully skilled players and an absolute joy to watch - whilst the media branded us as a hoofball team. Oh how we laughed especially when the likes of Jay Jay and Youri Djorkaeff were rinsing Roy Keane et al :)

We got Jay Jay on a free transfer towards the end of his career and he still comes to the club whenever he's in England and played (and scored) in a charity match 18 months ago to raise money for MND as Gethin Jones' mum had it. He's loved in Bolton.

• A team full of wonderfully skilled players being branded a hoofball team by the media sounds awfully familiar.

• Penn & Tyler's Green FC won the Berks & Bucks Youth Cup in 1999 with an extremely handsome young man playing up front. Before women and booze took over

• OK guys please be gentle. With no Six Nations games on this weekend, and with no rugby team to support after Wasps went into administration and are relegated to the Championship starting next season, I thought I'd get a ticket for Saturday's Bolton game - my first visit to football at Adams Park since I did a pitchside commentary for a pre-match display of Mini Rugby, before a match between WWFC and Brentford, a 4-2 home win if i remember correctly.

So my question is, which stand should I book? I don't want to get mixed in with the Bolton hoi polloi, so is the Frank Adams stand the right one for a (very) occasional Wycombe supporter?

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2023

If you prefer sitting and like a wide selection of crisps, join the hoity toity in the Frank Adams. If you prefer standing, questionable banter, and a pint in the Vere at Half time, join the hoi polloi on the terrace

• Thanks. As I'm classed as a posh git, it'll be the Frank Adams stand, and I'll bring some prawn sandwiches to go with the crisps.

• Great to have you on board @bargepole and hopefully you will get hooked! Should be a ding dong do on Saturday!

• If you listen to the supporters of most other L1 clubs, we basically play rugby, so you'll probably have a good time.

Just don't come in red chinos, and refrain from singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

• Sit by me please. I like Sensations and also Quavers.

• Did anybody else find the BBC reporter on Pre-Match Drills somewhat patronising?