Skip to content

Mawson retires

Comments

• I'm absolutely gutted. What a privilege it has been to see him play out the final days of his career with us. What an honour was to watch him take his first steps in the game with us. What a player.

• I'd love for him to stay around as a Coach. While he's only 29, I reckon he would have the respect of the whole squad, while being an excellent middle-person to help GA and Robbo give a player's perspective on tactics coming up. I hope we can arrange this for him

• I would absolutely love that. Alfie hinted towards it in his statement. I wonder if he's got any coaching badges though. Either way, I'd love him to stay in and around the place if we can make it feasible.

• Absolutely gutted at this news today, I think that what makes it worse is, when he's played this season he's looked incredible and more often than not head and shoulders above everyone else ! To go straight from that to never playing again hurts, even more so for Alfie.

Alfie, thank you so much for the time you've been with us, both before and this season. It's been an absolute pleasure ! I'll be happy to say in the future that I actually got to see you in person.

• Totally agree. We’ve lost Bloomfield as a coach. Hopefully we can find a role for Mawson.

• edited February 2023

If there's a slight positive out of this it's that you know Wycombe will give him all the support he needs going forward. I don't think other clubs would be so accommodating.

• edited February 2023

Such a shame but so very impressive to have played for half a season, week-in, week-out, giving it his all when he would have known that one misstep, one over-exertion, could cause so much pain that he would be forced to retire. And so it came to be. That's true leadership. Alfie Mawson is a footballer with real nobility and has done himself proud over his whole career - and this season in particular.

• So sad for Alfie.

I have followed the side on and off for the best part of forty years and he definitely gets in my all time 11.

Thank you Alfie

• I remember thinking "Who's this young kid in defence?" at his league debut at Newport away many years ago and it wasn't long before his was the first name I looked for on the team sheet. Too many amazing moments, most memorable for me was the goal away at Luton but that's just one of many. Glad I got to see his first and last games, absolute legend.

Thanks for everything Alfie and hopefully you remain a bit of a fixture round the place going forward (there'll always be a pint waiting for you in the Vere!).

• Using such a sad announcement to have a totally unnecessary dig at the club is not your finest moment.

• Just arrived in Accrington. Absolutely gutted for him, gutted for the club, the fans and football in general.

Am glad he found his love again coming back to Adams Park.

all the best Alfie. Hope to see you at Wembley in May when we win it this year!

• All the very best to Alfie we’ve been honoured to have seen him play for us.

• It was a privilege and a pleasure to see Alfie in the famous quarters in both of his spells at the club. He is one of the most talented players I have ever seen play for us and a smashing lad off the field. I’m sure there will always be a warm welcome awaiting him whenever he chooses to return to Adams Park after such devastating news. He is a class act.

• I hope Alfie reads these tributes and realises how well-deserved they are.

• Can't add too much more to the feelings already expressed but want to highlight what a testimant it is to his talent that everyone is speaking so highly of his despite him "only" playing 65 times for us. And also shows what a wonderful, warm and welcoming family WWFC is.

Feel so bad for Alfie, I hope he has every success in whatever it is he chooses to do next. In the short term, fingers crossed that it staying around the team a bit to help us towards the playoffs.

• Obvious exceptions aside, this is probably up there with the saddest moments we've had in our league days.

Just that mixture of top tier talent and being what should still be the peak of your career is an upsetting one.

• In football terms this devastating news. Poor old Alfie, such an honour to have him in the quarters.

• edited February 2023

Hear hear to all the tributes. Thoroughly well deserved. Sad for us but much worse for Alfie. He was as upbeat and positive as only he could be in his short video statement on WanderersTV but he seemed to wipe away a tear at the end. He’ll certainly not be alone in that respect but let’s hope he comes to terms with his situation as happily as possible.

I’m sure he can feel the love.

• Sad news for us, sadder for him, since he clearly relished playing this season. What a privilege, though, to have seen a player so good play for us in not one, but two spells.

• I'll always remember how he completely and utterly rattled the Ipswich fans

• Four or five seasons ago, when we still produced a programme, I was asked to fill the ‘my Wycombe’ page. One of the questions was “who is the best player you have seen in a Wycombe shirt?” my answer “Alfie Mawson, he was imperious for us”. I’ll stick by that.

Thank you Alfie, it has been a privilege to watch you play in the quarters. All the best for the future.

• Hadn't seem the clip until just then and wow that just made it even sadder.

• That’s two seasons in a row one of my favourite players has had to retire. I’m very sad for Alfie, I hope he has the belief and support to make whatever he wants to with the rest of his life. It must be a terribly hard thing to have a career you’re passionate about taken away before you turn 30.

As others have said, what a privilege to see him at the start and end of his career. His comments about falling back in love with football again while he’s been here should remind us that we’re so lucky to support this club.

• A timely reminder that Wycombe's perception in the eyes of reputable footballers is outstanding. It's slowly trickling through to the eyes of their agents. We're fortunate to have such incredible leadership. Ainsworth, the Couhigs, Sam Grace and all of the backroom staff (past and present). It truly is a golden era. One I'll remember for the rest of my life.

• Don’t be sad it’s over…

What a player, what a man! Also, if anyone posts about the club misleading people, they need to show some respect to Alfie and the club, who will always try and do the right thing with best intentions.

• This is so sad, very young to end your first career.

Let’s hope a big second career beckons. I’m sure Alfie could coach and I reckon he could be a future manager. I see something of the Mousinho, Martin and Blooms in him, a determination that would attract club owners.

• A bittersweet day, so sad to hear of Alfie's retirement, but the boys certainly did the business tonight for him.

I vividly remember the day when, in my eyes, the great modern era of WWFC truly started. Away at Newport in 2014, the first game after the miracle of Torquay, and the debuts of JJ, Sido, and the young ginger lad whose name I didn't know at that point. I thought to myself 'he looks good', and I was right. A crucial part of the defence with JJ, Sido, and Aaron Pierre, not forgetting Matt Ingram in goal. That defence barely changed until the latter part of the season, and it was almost unbelievable how our fortunes had changed so dramatically from the previous season. And Alfie was a huge part of that. He could score goals too, remember Luton away. Such a shame the chance to sign him permanently didn't happen.

Fast forward to a few games into this season, and I couldn't believe that he was back with us. There was always the thought that his injuries could flare up again, but to be honest it was just good to have him back playing for us.

So to today. As others have said, it's fitting that he made his league debut for us, and he played his last league game for us. As Alfie himself said on his return, 'the stars have aligned'.

All the best for the future Alfie. You will be greatly missed.

• Logged in to see if any of my posts had received a reply and spotted this thread.

Alfie Mawson was a very good player. It's not how you want any player to have to retire from playing. Injuries are, unfortunately, part and parcel of the game and some end careers. We've had our share of them down the years and it's always a shame when a player is forced out of the game rather than reaching the point where they decide it's time.

I wish him well and hope that the injury doesn't prevent him doing other things in life.

• In his first spell with us he came up against Bayo when Wimbledon rolled into town. Not sure Akinfenwa would appreciate me saying this but Alfie had him in his back pocket that afternoon and it was the moment I realised we had some player. If only their paths had aligned and Mawson could have spent years delivering those heatseekers onto the beast's head.

• For me, without question, the best-ever and my favourite player to wear the quarters, alongside the next best centre half in Ryan Tafazolli. It was great to see him come back after what seemed like such a short time away and lead the younger players with such maturity. You look at some of the players down the years who have played in the top division and dropped down to us, with almost no interest. The club should feel blessed to have such a professional return, and whilst it was only short-term, I imagine his influence will be long-lasting.

Mr Mawson got me in hot water when I worked for a season at Football Manager (video game). I rated him higher than any of the current Brentford defender after a season with us, when Brentford themselves made the Championship play-offs. The games manager sent me a pretty intense email regarding his ratings, claiming I was biased. I am biased, but I could see why it was hard to believe someone would rate him so highly.

Thanks for the memories Alfie. You won't ever be forgotten.