Skip to content

Comments

• What an absolute honour for us to have had him play for us at the start and end of his playing career.

Absolutely gutted it’s ended this way for him and I hope the club put on something for him in the close season.

Thanks for everything Alfie.

• A true privilege to watch him play.

• "Just a precaution"...

What a player and how absolutely gutting this must be for him. Hope to see him around the club in some capacity in the immediate / long term future.

• Very sad news! A lovely statement from him, actually very moving and yet again the club and staff come across so well.

Looks like he knew this day would be coming sooner rather than later, even so it must be a very tough time for him. Let's give him the send off he deserves against Barnsley!

Best wishes Alfie and thanks for all your efforts in the quarters, it's been an absolute pleasure to watch you.

• edited February 2023

Yep, not sure why the club felt the need to straight-up lie about that. Should have just said nothing in this rare instance.

• It’s very sad news. What a season he was having up until that final injury.

“I had some time off around Christmas after feeling some pain in my knee and the pain hasn’t gone away. I went for a scan and unfortunately the damage was done”.

Might be worth remembering Alfie’s words when frothing about the club lying about injuries and demanding regular updates.

In this case, we appear to have done the decent thing and let Alfie accept the inevitable on his own terms.

• Such a waste of a excellent talent. I'm glad that I was able to witness his talent during his first and second spell and the change & develop throughout that time.

Good luck for your next move and chapter Alfie!

• I’ve said it before but Mawson always made me think of the old Liverpool chant about having a team of Jamie Carraghers. I can’t think of any Wycombe players I’d rather have 10 of in my team.

He’s the only player I knew would score their penalty against Southend.

Genuinely upset that I won’t get to see him play again.

• They didn't lie though did they? As Alfie himself says they needed time and a scan to work out exactly what it was. Sounds like the club has been nothing short of classy in the way we've handled this, and the tributes from GA and Rob Couhig are a lovely touch.

All the best Alfie - thanks so much for some wonderful memories. Most importantly, thanks for coming back.

• Ainsworth has been managing the club for 10 years. He's always handled things incredibly professionally. Can we please give him the opportunity to handle important news (such as this) without throwing toys out of the pram? Let Alfie have his moment without this unnecessary background noise.

• But for his terrible luck with injuries, Alfie could have played for one of the top Premier clubs and possibly regularly for England.

Would be great if he could stay at the club for the rest of the season, as the advice he could give to the likes of Forino would be invaluable.

• Sadly it seems this was the inevitable conclusion of his absence.

It has been an honour to watch him turn out in the quarters this season & his statement above is a great testament to the club & its staff.

It is with genuine sadness that we see him retire.

• Absolutely terrible news. It must be such a tough decision for Alfie but I know he will be successful with whatever he does in the future.

Alfie is one of the best centre-backs I have seen at Wycombe in my 33 years of watching the blues and I would like to thank him for giving so much to the success of our brilliant club.

All the very best Alfie we will all miss you greatly.

• An honor to see Alfie play. After he left us he was always one of the few ex-players I regularly checked in on, we all knew he was a fantastic talent the moment he came to us. And the lovely story of us getting him originally just made even more Wycombe. When we rattle off the best all time players he will be in most people's top handful I'm guessing.

When he came back every game he played I held my breath and hoped that maybe, just maybe he was going to defy the odds but I think we all had that sinking feeling last year when his name first didn't appear on the teamsheet.

Sincerely hope he is going to be ok and can now start a new journey. He's ticked more career boxes than most but at 29 it is still very young to be an ex-pro.

• Gutting for him first of all, not even 30 and your main professsion has gone. At least he did make it big so hopefully is still set for life.

But also just so Gutting for us. I guess we all knew we wouldn't have him for a long time but probably assumed it'd be one season then back onto better things.

• I'm not gonna get any more into it on here as it's inappropriate. Agree to disagree.

• Amidst the rightful sadness, it is amazing to think that Alf was galloping down the left wing towards the terrace, to set up Mehmeti for the third goal against our friends from Peterborough in mid-October. A moment that somehow encapsulates this roller coaster season for club and individuals alike. What a player, so lucky to have enjoyed both his spells with us. All the best for everything - COYB.

• One of those better to have loved and lost then never have loved at all jobs.

We were probably very fortunate to get this half a season. Must have been really tough for Alfie as he probably had to do heavily reduced training and feel it not being quite right in and after games. And eventually just too much to deal with.

• I hope, when we lift the play-off trophy at Wembley in May Alfie will be able to be there and join in the celebrations with the rest of the squad. Will always be one of the finest players to don the quarters.

• edited February 2023

Seriously, this season is fucking cursed! How many more kicks in the teeth will we have to endure?

I mean, it’s nothing in comparison to what Alfie Mawson has been going through these last couple of months.

Even though it ended in such crushing disappointment, I’ll always remember the 2014/15 season with a smile on my face. One of the main reasons being the emergence of Alfie Mawson. His performances were simply sensational, he was a real joy to watch.

It was like he’d like never been away during the first half of this season. His assist for Chris Forino-Joseph’s winner at Oxford a particular highlight.

I’m really struggling to write this post and genuinely feel tearful.

Thank you for everything Alfie. You’ve been very special.

• The curses will only make it all the more special when we go up...

• Let's not forget, in this situation, that Alfie quite possibly suspected when he came back to Wycombe that it might not be a spring board to a new lucrative contract elsewhere but as the final chapter in his career.

That he should make that decision and give us those final months is quite a tribute to both himself and the WWFC family.

Thank-you Alfie, it's been a pleasure to have you play in the blue quarters. Hopefully, it'll finally be a promotion winning season too.

• The last 4-5 years most have been so tough for him. Really feel for him and has has already been mentioned, hope financially he’s well set up from his Swansea/Fulham contracts.

You don’t see centre backs like him very often in the lower leagues and It was a privilege to watch him play for us. On top of that he comes across as such a decent person. Thank you and all the best, Alfie!

• Truly Gutted at this news. Very sad day. I’ll never forget the goal at Luton it was one of Wycombe’s best ever. Thanks Alfie it’s been a pleasure watching you. Take Care. Regards.

• edited February 2023

Very sad news, but also lovely tributes both here and from the club. For the club to help Alfie fall back in love with the game even while he helped us fight for another unlikely promotion is a very moving end to his playing career. I wish Alfie every good thing in life going forwards, and hope he is often seen around the place.

• desperately disappointed for the lad to have such a promising career cut short, but as everyone has rightly said, it was a privilege to watch him in the quarters, and we were exceptionally fortunate to have this late unexpected reprise to his WWFC career.

• Difficult to know what to say really. I feel sad for myself, which is a bit selfish really. It's first and foremost sad for Alfie.

Hope he's ok, and that he knows how much happiness he gave us all.

In my 4th decade of watching this great old club and he might just be the best player we've ever had in that time. He's certainly one of a small handful that are in that discussion.

But yeah, if I'm lucky enough to have grandkids one day I'll tell them about when Alfie Mawson used to play for Wycombe Wanderers