Skip to content

Man of the Match - Derby (H)

2»

Comments

• All of them were amazing but JJ rolled back the years. Had Collins in his pocket. The number of times he just nipped in and broke up play.

his positional play when the ball was being thrown in was excellent.

Having been in and out the side this season, that was some performance.

• Scowen was like a third centre-back today yet still managed to be everywhere. Ridiculous.

• You have to wonder what the hell Sunderland's management were doing if they couldn't get a tune out of him. He's simply phenomenal.

• This is quite a remarkable positioning map. You can see what Gareth Ainsworth was saying about a lopsided formation now. Sam Vokes and Josh Scowen both played much deeper than you'd think.

• I get far too giddy at times but I genuinely think that Scowen gave one of those all time great performances in a Wycombe shirt today that will be talked about for years to come

• For me Scowen was head and shoulders above everyone else today. I felt that he was unmatched in his ball-winning ability and his energy around the pitch.

Thats not to say that the rest of the squad didn't play well. That was JJ's best game for a long time, McCarthy seems like he might be back in form.

From Derby's players, I thought their No. 6 had a great game for them. He seemed to get in the way of most of our shots in the 2nd Half, reminded me slightly of Anthony Stewart.....

• edited February 2023

Their 6 is Eiran Cashin - I'm sure he'll be snapped up by a Champ club if they don't go up

• He was really good today wasn't he?

• Only made his debut just over a year ago, youth product

• Not trying to wind anyone up, but I thought he was quite poor first half. Second half he was absolutely outstanding though. Could see why they rate him so highly.

• Fair enough. Standing on the Valley Terrace I noticed him more second half

• Scowen is just a machine. It was the reverse fixture earlier this season when I felt we missed him most. Had he been on the field I don’t think we concede either goal that day.

Back to today, I went for Wing. He was also outstanding, even before his goals.

I’ll return to normal service and vote for Scowen yet again on Tuesday.

• Well, what a great game of football that was. A game we thoroughly deserved to win and a performance that could so easily have produced a score line far more in our favour.

Had we scored a second from that great move when Scowen sent Jmac in to cross or during that fantastic period in the second half when GMac ran them absolutely ragged, my MOTM, I think we just possibly could have run out comfortably winners.

Superb performance from 1-11 on the pitch and great to see TJ do what he did.

Finally, Gaz and his team go from strength to strength off the pitch on a day when football was the real winner

• I also went for Scowen, but I also totally and utterly take my hat off to Jack Grimmer and Joe Jacobson for holding it together at the back against an in form and dangerous attacking unit. JJ’s becoming like a lower league Bobby Moore in the final years of his career, his reading of the game and use of all his experience is just astonishing.

The only time they got bent out of shape all match was the first Derby goal where neither of them are anywhere near where they should have been, with predictable consequences, but that happens from time to time.

It was a bit of a risk from Gareth to go for the back four rather than stick with the three from the Port Vale match on a safety in numbers basis, but it absolutely paid dividends. Fantastic stuff, what a manager.

It was also great to see that a front four of Vokes, McCleary, Hanlan and Wheeler can be really threatening and with the likes of TJay, Campbell and Freeman around to augment it there’s plenty of room for optimism for the rest of the season.

• I’d have given a second thumb if I could @Theatre_of_Chairs .

• I reckon JJ is as good a central defender as anyone at our level these days and he was even challenging/blocking their ‘keeper at a corner in the first half.

• Just as an advance warning to everyone, in line with what someone suggested a few weeks back, the season long MOTM race is going to be renamed the Scowen Trophy whenever he departs, and I am not even joking.

• Belatedly I have cast my note for Jack Grimmer. My basis being everyone yesterday deserves at least one vote! Just need someone to vote for Jordan Obita!

• I’d like to think that the “whole team” option which someone suggested recently is likely to be the favoured option for the majority of fans for all the remaining games. Perhaps as the second of two votes per person. If that option did win or come a close second for all our remaining matches, the playoffs would be guaranteed.

• I have chronicled my admiration for Scowen many times and although he was superb again yesterday I went for Wingy this time because of his goals and all round display.