Skip to content

Man of the Match - Ipswich (H)

2»

Comments

• Did think Bishop was out of contract at end of season so maybe we'd have got him as a prospect but we've seen with Mawson the first time, Muskwe and Josh Knight amongst others that it isn't that easy and he could easily have renewed at Utd or gone elsewhere if he had a good year.

Although you can see the reasons and we don't know exactly what Utd were saying we definitely left ourselves short at the start of the season.

League position quite remarkable tbh with that, quality of some performances and injuries. Mawson and Stryjek playing almost every minute and being immense since they did come in helped massively.

• Thanks for your advice, but I am not ashamed to defend the club in the face of what I regard as unfair criticism. We don’t have the resources to employ experienced cover for every position. There are 72 clubs in the EFL and it’s difficult to attract players as reserves when they know they could play in the first team elsewhere, especially when we don’t have a reserve team in a competitive league. There are rules about squad size and budgets to consider, and when everyone is fit I think we have a more than adequate choice of defenders. Without our development squad there would be no Mehmeti and no Forino and I believe we have four or five players from that squad currently out on loan, as you have suggested.

• edited December 2022

Let’s just agree to disagree, because I’ll never budge from my view that teams serious about promotion should have 2x goalkeepers pushing each other on, week in week out providing competition for each other.

We have about 7 centre mids on the books and only 1 decent keeper, plus this was all covered back in September/ October.

• In an ideal world I would agree with you wholeheartedly, but we don’t have that ideal world and let’s not forget that we can still use a loan keeper if necessary or sign another keeper next month.

• Think Tyla now counts as a “professional goalkeeper” and hence we wouldn’t be allowed to play a loanee if Max got injured.

Agree though, can’t afford two seasoned GKs - one will need to be a kid - Tyla is fine. May be better for him to loan him out again in Feb though.

• You are right but what if Tyla was injured or ill?That is a different scenario.

• If genuinely injured or I’ll, yes a loan is possible. I believe they check though.

• Careful @DevC ! What can you possibly be suggesting.

Promising as Tyla looked (and the central defensive lineup may not have been as solid as it is now, perhaps), I would be worried if we had to depend on him for more than a couple of games. But, to be fair, I’ve not seen him in action since early season and, for all I know, he may have been getting rave reviews wherever he has been performing.