13.19%
    13. Vokes (sub)
        0.00%
    14. Freeman (sub)
        2.20%
    15. Gape (sub)
        0.00%

Comments

• Could have been a few but thought Alfie was superb. Honourable mention Jack Grimmer and as usual Wheels, Josh.

• Thought it was a fantastic team performance today with everyone doing their bit for the team.

The stand out individuals for me were Grimmer, Mawson, Wheeler & Scowen.

Thought Obita & GMac put in much better performances on the left.

Good to see Hanlan score & Gape make a comeback following injury.

• I gave it to Hanlan for an exceptional goal which I did not see coming at all, but for those that voted Mawson, yeah, absolutely, fair shout, he did a spectacular job in mopping up at the back and getting us out of sticky situations, which were not few in number.

Shout out to Wheeler as well, I've not always been a fan but he had a great game and flipped perfectly between attacking and defensive duties.

Scowen did what Scowen does, and I think won the battle of the evil scything midfield terriers (vs Morsy) - no mean feat.

I thought Obita made some good defensive interceptions as well.

• I’m very much with @Erroll_Sims’ second paragraph and the whole of @PBo’s post. Like him, I’d not previously seen what David Wheeler brings to the party but, oh boy, hasn’t he excelled over the last few games.

it’s finally come down to a choice between Wheeler and Hanlan but, for his sensational goal and because he’s really livened things up since replacing Sam Vokes, I’m going for Brandon.

• As usual it was between Scowen and Mawson, they should just have their own competition really, great goal for Hanlan, but didn't do much else tbh. Good to see Mrs Freeman has got her vote in again

• Wheeler for an exceptional 80 minutes before fading understandably.

I have tried to do this on the basis that this is the Josh Scowen Man of the Man Award and everyone else is playing for runner up

• To be fair, I thought Nick Freeman showed more composure and intelligence in the short time he was on than several other players showed throughout the game. I’m sure he deserves more minutes and, if and when Anis departs, I’m sure he’ll get them.

I thought Anis had a poor game today by his high standards.

• Controversial nomination for player of the match. Jasper Chattenden. Absolutely brilliant co-commentator. Intelligent, articulate, extremely quick witted and full of relevant knowledge and interesting insights.

• Good shout, but I think it may have to actually be the Mowen Scawson Award.

• Mawson slightly ahead of Wheeler, both were magnificent. Freeman's cameo was also fantastic at a point where we could barely get a touch of the ball, incredible composure.

• Nick Freeman with one of the passes of the season in the second half. Just a little fake, a pause, a pass so perfect someone should paint it and hang in a gallery. I’m a huge Nick Freeman fan and just wish we could accommodate him better.

• Well I was going to vote for Mawson who is just a level above but…Brandon Hanlan, on his own, changed the game and won us the three points…that’s a MOTM performance for me.

• If I could give more than one thumbs up, I would !

• I have it to Wheeler, but could have been so many. It appeared to me he was doing a man to man job in the 2nd half in their Captain number 5, and was winning that contest which swung it for me.

• Grimmer for me! Was worried when there was no Tafazolli when the team came out. He was superb!

• He did very well, a couple dodgy passes early doors and then never put a foot wrong

• edited December 2022

Been mulling this one overnight and wish I could vote for more than one. Whilst Hanlan scored an incredible goal, he was also asked to essentially look after their two centre halves on his own and had to track back on several occasions which should also be taken into account. Wheeler was also incredible with the amount of distance covered and blocks that he put in. G'Mac was also outstanding in his defensive duties so understandably his attacking work was limited. Scone was well Scone and ably assisted by Lewis Wing but without the distance covered by Josh, Obita had a better game at left back than usual. However my vote goes to Mawson, without his masterclass in defending and his constant organsing skills, I'm sure we would have been looking at a defeat?

Oh, forgot to mention, Stryjek, he was faultless in what he had to do and that save on minute 90 was not only top drawer but was the difference between 3 points and 1 point.

• Agree re Stryjek - what an assured goalkeeper he is.

• Scone got us out of a jam on numerous occasions and never once crumbled, etc

• Butter don’t forget about the rest of the team

• It was a Jammy goal though!

• Stryjek is a great keeper for us and the fact he is only behind our last great keeper supports that. I'm still at a loss as to what happened at the start of the season on that front with Bishop. If Stryjek was available for us in July why did we procrastinate for so long, compromising Dickinson's development and results along the way. Throwing away points in a league that is so tight seems daft to say the least. I would love to know what really happened and how we got to this happy ending.

• The plan to sign Bishop on loan was so advanced that he spent a week training with the squad, had arranged local accommodation and attended the first home game whilst the final details were being completed. That is when the Manchester United manager changed his mind and decided to keep him at Old Trafford. With the benefit of hindsight you might argue that we should have had a plan B in place, but imagine the response if you said to another keeper ‘We’d like to sign you but only if the Bishop deal falls through so please don’t sign for anyone else just in case.’

• Went with wheels myself for his movement, tirelessly running and pressing ipswich.

Special mention for GA for coming in the Vere after the game, really miss the players Q and A.

Good three points, slightly dampened by the cold and the crazy mess that was the FA.

• We took the cost saving gamble of only trying to have 1x top notch keeper on the books, and because Utd buggered us about it backfired. It was our own fault, you can only control the controlables. The proof in the Christmas Pudding is that if Max twists his ankle getting the turkey out of the oven on the 25th then we have a below par GK (for a top half league 1 team) between the sticks against Brizzle on Boxing Day. Blame Utd as much as we like, but it doesn’t change the fact that in our greatest promotion achievement ever we had BOTH Alsop and Stockdale on the books.

• And also, I’m glad we’ve got Max. He’s not on loan, is a great age for a GK and performed very well having been thrust into a pressured environment where we were throwing points away. I’d love him to stay for the long term.

• The Allsop/Stockdale scenario was a one off situation for a club of our size which is trying to encourage the development of younger players who see a pathway to the first team. What would your decision have been if finances dictated that we could either sign an experienced keeper who was prepared to be number two or sign Alfie Mawson?

• Well it’s interesting you say that. I feel we have been too light defensively too, highlighted by the fact that even when we have Taf, Forino and Jacobson unavailable we still play a right back in Grimmer at centre half and keep Wakely on the bench. We know Taf is made of glass and I think we would all agree we have seen more of Mawson than we ever expected based on his last 3 seasons, thank goodness.

You can’t defend EVERYTHING we do Alan, you can have an opinion that differs and still love your club. So what would I do you ask? Well, I’d identify our priorities in the ‘plan’. Do we want promotion asap which the owners clearly think we are capable of pushing for, or do we want to nurture for the future. If finances are too tight for both then there is a decision to make isn’t there? So if it’s to do our best to go up, then I’d be doing my best to shift out on loan deals Kai Kai, Horgan, Teejay, Wakely, Dickinson, the other young keeper, Al Hamidi, and any others who never get anywhere near the first team team 11 or minutes even when we can use 5x subs.

Kid yourself as much as you like, but it’s never a straight choice between Mawson or another goal keeper.

• My post was coming from the angle of if we knew max, if we could afford max, why bother with Bishop. He would not have been free, he would not have been ours, he can’t be THAT much better than max. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I’m intrigued at what point someone said ‘there’s a bloke in Scotland who barely had a look in at Sunderland a while back.’