Skip to content

Ipswich fan in peace - Saturday questions re: pitch

Comments

• Coldest I can remember as a Town fan was away at Stoke. Ridiculous stadium design with the open corner.

• edited December 2022

I can’t recall any particular freezing occasions/matches but in general I think I’ve always been a bit of a woos (?) in terms of feeling cold at games. I do distinctly remember an away game against Slough about 50 years ago (at what I think was called the Dolphin Stadium) when I was shivering on what I thought was a cold evening but, when I checked afterwards, I found that the temperature had been 7 degrees (45 degrees in those days!). It was quite windy though.

• edited December 2022

Interesting to see that the forecast maximum temperature on Sunday is 7 degrees Celsius. I look at that now and think “ah lovely, a mild day at last”.

I assume (and hope) that the snow on the Adams Park pitch has not been disturbed because it acts as a blanket. With four more nights of hard frost in prospect and daytime temperatures only rising to a couple of degrees above freezing for five or six hours each day, an uncovered pitch could be very hard indeed by Saturday. My understanding is that the undersoil heating needs to be put on a couple of days ahead of kickoff and that would be quite a gas bill.

Perhaps someone should ask Anis Mehmeti’s agent if they think we can afford it. After all, a stunning performance against the main rivals of his former club could make him even more attractive to bidders.

• The nil-nil draw at Sandy Lane v Tooting in 86-87, was absolutely freezing. As was the game v Barnet on St Patrick's day at the Hive a few years back.

Sheff Wed away last season was pretty nippy.

• Swindon away on the Boxing Day. Good lord that was the coldest I have ever been. I remember at the end of the game my thighs hurt to walk up the steps as they were so cold and frozen.

• @FriendlyTractor try Kappad in wycombe Town centre. South Indian restaurant, its very very good.

• Yes, and the fish soup is to die for!

• Yes I remember that Boxing Day in Swindon. Utterly shit game too

• Didn't Brownie nearly score right at the end?

• edited December 2022

I second that, a bit grumpy, but the food is always cooked fresh and not reheated preprepared stuff that is just masked by adding more curry powder that is on offer at most other similar outlets. Parking for ease can be at Eastern Street car park next to the Union Baptist church which only leaves about a 150 yard walk. Recommend you arrive at the restaurant circa 12.00 which will leave time to order & still arrive at the ground in plenty of time to find parking. Good luck with the food, but not the match. 😉👍️

• Can’t remember to be honest and like @Mandown said I don’t think it was a classic. That said, I think it was when Swindon were flying and it was a 90min backs to the wall job led by Big Tel so would have been a good point?

• We were on a bit of an unbeaten run at the time weren't we? I think we'd just signed Gary Blissett on loan as well

• Taller than you think, Gary Blissett.

Always found him along the Mark Lawrenson/Tony Ellis lines that even when he shaved his moustache off he still looked like he had one.

• I remember he was about the last footballer I saw who wore sweatbands, and he loved to throw out an elbow when he went up for the ball.

• Sat 11th Jan 2003, a 0-0 away to Mansfield.

Sat in the car with the heater on shivering for about 15 mins before I could drive home, absolutely freezing.

• Thanks all for the advice and info. Got my fingers crossed that around the ground will be safe enough.

• An unexpected bonus on this thread was the recommendation by @bigred87 of Kappad, an Indian restaurant in the High Street, slightly ambivalently endorsed by @EwanHoosaami. It gets good reviews - not seen any references to grumpiness! - so, if you’re interested, @FriendlyTractor, it might be wise to book and also to confirm that, as today, they open at 12 pm on Saturday.

The car park which @EwanHoosaami refers to is in Easton Street, opposite the law courts.

• Drewe Broughton wore sweatbands, he looked the part until he played. But everything was in slow motion, turning, running, jumping.fouling.

• He looked like he was ready to play Andre Agassi in the US Open!

• Didn’t he go on to have success at a higher level after playing for us? I can only think he wasn’t fully fit.

• Apologies I didn’t proof read that before posting. Should have read “a bit trumpy “. 🙄

• Interestingly the Kappad menu offers a side dish called a High Wycombe Garden Salad.

The mind truly boggles. Maybe a collection of grass clippings, empty crisp packets and a lump of dog shit.

• @FriendlyTractor Look not further than Funky Elephant for your pre-match food on Saturday. A pop up in the car park selling some of the best football scran going. Curried goat is superb. Not sure where it will be located but you will get a warm greeting wherever so don't be put off it is in the 'home' area.

And coldest game? Swindon away, as mentioned above during the S%%%h era. The very mention makes me put an extra layer on.

• Good point, and another who didn't mind throwing out an elbow when challenging for a header

• In short, no. I was sad enough to look this up, but whilst he was a league player, L2 was his level.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=10693&season_id=140

In other news, I wholeheartedly endorse the Kappad recommendation, been a couple of times, both enjoyable.

• edited December 2022

Are Funky Elephant a certainty to be there this Saturday? if so I can definitely recommend them!!!

• Yes - they'll be at the games on 17/12, 24/1 and 11/2

• Mansfield away sometime in early 2000's, fog hung in the air all game and went to stand up to leave at full time and the old knees wouldnt work! Coldest I've ever been at football. Not fun. But a hot tub back at the hotel and then a night out out in Nottingham made up for it.

• The pitch should be fine as I'm told by an insider 😉 that the club's gas bill is unbelievable with having the pitch heating on all this time!