Skip to content

Throwback Max

13»

Comments

• How unobservant of me! I corrected the original post with the new nomenclature.

• One of the issues with crowning someone the best in this way aside the obvious is that it also brings in Loanees as we've had loads of them who have played more than a dozen games, some quite brilliantly. Heaton for example.

It doesn't matter anyway, he'll no doubt be an awful signing and a waste of money for a bit for some if he drops the ball at any time in the next decade.

• Not to fan the flames (yes, I know I am fanning the flames), but Stocko finished last season with 148 man of the match votes in 46 games. Max has 125 votes in 11 games. That is obviously partly down to how much better we were going forward last season and also arguably how certain players have regressed and made the award less competitive, but it is still notable.

My view is that they are both fantastic, and we have had the best keeper in the division both seasons. Stockdale fit the Wycombe mould off the pitch so well too, and was instantly iconic in personality and attitude as well as ability.

• @Shev ”fitted” please, we have some standards here.

• I do like the nickname Polecat. I think also he could just be called Phil - in honour of Phil Catchpole. YSWIDT.🤔

• I think we should call him Biskup

• I suspect Sheffield Wednesday fans think they have the best goalie in the division right now, whereas they all thought he was overweight, rubbish and past it after the first set of matches and wanted someone else in immediately.

• Just watched the last few minutes of Livingston v Celtic. Jack Hamilton, making his debut in goal, looked to be very much in the same mould as Max. First clearance I saw went straight to the Celtic ‘keeper and a minute or two later he dived very bravely straight into the legs of the oncoming Celtic striker. They breed ‘em tough at Livingston.