Skip to content

Throwback Max

What a joy it is to see a keeper, that displays the virtues of keepers off old. Catches most of the time instead of parrying, punches when he cant claim a clean catch, makes himself huge in the goal with wonderful positioning and cutting down angles. Kicks long and high out of his hands. Just need Max to adorn one of those lovely green keeper jerseys now. What a time to be alive witnessing 'The Pole in the goal' reinventing the art of goalkeeping.

Comments

• I only saw the very brief highlights, but two reflex one handed saves were game winners.

• Exactly, why he should rightfully be man of the match

• Those were two excellent reflex saves. As many have pointed out, his positional play and his ability to cut down the angles is something to behold.

Max is an exceptional keeper at this level.

• The one at the end particularly was brilliant and if he hadn't got so much height on the save it could have embarrassingly dropped in anyway and made a mug of him. Shows really good awareness of the space and his position. Kicking very good yesterday too.

• Absolutely spot on and I love that nickname ‘The pole in the goal’.

• He is so understated and just gets on with his job. A breath of fresh air. Could turn out to be the best keeper we have had since the great Martin Taylor.

I must admit to being a bit down when Stockdale and Stewart left us but I wouldn’t have them back in place of Max and Alfie.

• He's the best Polekeeper we've ever had....I'll get my coat.

• An incredible keeper at this level

• Did we pay a fee for Max?

• I think it's dependent on appearances, performance etc. Nothing up front.

• Much as I loved and admired Anthony, I wouldn’t have him back in place of Chris, never mind Alfie. Great to see Aberdeen in third place in the Scottish Premiership, of course.

A controversial question. Would everyone on here prefer Taf to JJ as the left-sided centre back ?

• Not a controversial question. Yes, although JJ still looks pretty comfortable there.

• My preference would be Taff over JJ but hugely depends on who is fit

• Ironically, the younger man, obsessed with physical fitness, seems more injury prone than our current skipper who, in my humble opinion, still reads the game superbly well and, arguably brings more to the table.

• The problem that I've had with Tafazolli, this season, is that he hasn't looked comfortable playing alongside Mawson. He's need pushed out of position and it seems to have unsettled him. Also it's been stop start so no chance to get his eye in yet.

We know that JJ is unlikely to last beyond this season - in fact his badge pump and clapping of the fans yesterday felt a little bit like the start of the long good-bye.

So we need to hope that the Tafazolli, Mawson, Forino triumvirate comes good. It should be awesome.

• I doubt we'll keep hold of Mawson for next season if we don't go up

• Thought they looked pretty good next to each other in the Fleetwood game, but that one aside I'd agree with you.

• The saves Max pulled off yesterday were much easier as he was already in Pole position.

• We're nicknaming him 'the Polecat', right?

• I'm absolutely delighted with Max. What a find! Best GK in League One.

• The Polecat. What a brilliant fucking nickname!!

• I doubt if we can hold on to Forino either. Is he out of contract at the end of this season?

• Yeah I am beginning to move Forino into the Mehmeti category - “very surprised if they are in light/dark blue in February.”

• Tafazoli looks very uncomfortable as the left sided centre back in a three, and Joe seems to be having one good and one game littered with mistakes. And that to both his and Taff's lack of pace, its somewhere I expect will looked to be strengthened in the Transfer window.

• edited October 2022

I think we'll ride out January fine, but I fully expect to lose at least one next summer. Forino is also OOC in 2024, I believe.

• Don't think JJ's had a bad game at centre back has he?

• He wasn't great yesterday !!

• Max was my man of the match yesterday and his strength / speed in making instinct saves is the best we've had since Jamal Blackman. His presence and ability to close down angles while intimidating the onrushing attacker are the best since Paul Hyde.

But I'd far prefer Stockdale in goal. If possession must do one then it becomes even more important we have a keeper who can distribute effectively. Even though yesterday was his best efforts at that so far Max kept punting the ball long to an opposition player, and too often he seems to skim the ball, sending it low into the centre of the pitch where anything can happen. So far he's managed to stop the shots that have resulted because of his strength and instincts. But I don't think it's a coincidence that Vokes is having a far less successful season than he did when it was Stockdale firing balls at him with missile precision.

• Possession must do one ? In the name of Henry, what is that all about ? I’m starting to think the polecat is the best since Martin Taylor and, for all the speculation about losing Forino and/or Mehmeti, I think there will be plenty of interest in him come the window. Might be time to offer him a contract extension.

• All 4 of the current centre back options could easily have moved on by next summer for different reasons.

Need to enjoy them all while we can.