Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington

Comments

• Nowhere near the parachutists that was amazing and I still remember Martin rushing out of the changing rooms and shouting at poor Mark (Austin) to get those f_____g parachutists down NOW!!!!

• edited September 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Seen plenty on twitter calling for Rosenior to be sacked. You have to question their sanity.

• I think Wing improves game on game. Showed a great turn of pace when he broke through and if hadn't been for a decent save he would have scored a cracking goal as a result. Gape and Scowen are terriers physically and can break a move and pass as good as anyone at this level but we need that taller presence in the middle of the park and Wing is exactly that. Playing Horgan instead of Wing in the centre is a hard combination as they are all so small.

Still a very bare squad. And it is worthwhile recalling the names not in the squad. Hanlan, Wheeler, Kaikai, Mellor, Thompson. All would be there and there abouts in a starting or finishing 11.

• We're definitely a bit bare when it comes to attackers who can make a difference at the moment.

Once we have the names lifted about back we'll be in great shape, plus McClearly of course.

Wing hasn't quite got going back to the form that he showed early on, but no doubt it'll come.

A miserable midweeker against a team we've often struggled against probably isn't the game to judge many on.

• Given the best nicknames need an obscure root (Tools, Mustard) I’m pushing for ‘Pepsi’ for the new keeper. Cue pile in……

• Parachute gate or national anthem gate which was worse? Get your votes in now!

Back to the football win against a side that we don’t often beat at home. Come May we look back and it was another valuable three points. Another clean sheet ,Max had another impressive night We had to wait a while for him and Alfie to arrive but well worth it.

• I hope @trevor and @Wanderers82 are OK as we haven't heard from them since last night's win!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2022

The warming up, kicking balls about over the heads of old fellas during the remembrance speeches, last post and silence irritated me for a couple of years...sadly I was not here for the Parachutists and missed the historic first God Save the King (Dub version).

• I think Wing should have passed. Mehmeti was in space and clear.

• edited September 2022

I agree, I was screaming at him to knock it through to Anis, a bit greedy, also it didn't really bother the keeper at all, it was straight at him. I'm happy to have Wing though, looks decent and better than some are making out. I cant help but feel for Horgan though, whenever he plays we mostly agree we look better with him in the team, then he doesn't get a game again for ages

• Like most big teams who end up in Lge1, the fans of said clubs seem to feel they are owed a promotion back to where they belong. The first sign of mid table mediocrity and they call for the managers head and more signings.

Derby have made some big name signings of players who are at the very end of their careers but they have a very thin senior squad of only twelve Over21 players, we have twenty one. To me their squad looks either old or inexperienced and I would be amazed if they finish anywhere near the playoffs.

If we beat them Saturday I would not fancy the walk out of the stadium afterwards.

• I think they'll be comfortably mid-table, then mount a promotion push next season. Their fans should count themselves lucky they still have a team to support at all.

• I'm coming as Alan Swann

• From the highlights, our goal and shots on target resulted from winning first or second ball from long kick or throw in and from direct pass from GK.

We can create decent moves. Maybe a result of deep press, soaking up pressure.

• I may well miss Saturdays game as I am at a ska & reggae festival this weekend that I help organise

• I know it was a clean sheet, but how did Max look?

• For all the defending we did he only really had one save to make, a relax save at his near post. He commanded his area well and seemed to instill confidence in his defence. If Martin Taylor was a 20 something now i'd imagine he'd look a lot like Max.

• To be fair, if the roles were reversed, I don’t think Anis would have passed.

I think Wing has done well in these latest 2 games both going forward and tracking back. He just needs a goal to get him going. I’m a big fan of Horgan but last night was not the game for him but I have a feeling he may start against Derby

• You may be right @Mandown but I think Gareth will go for the same starting 11 and formation.

• edited September 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A few other bits I took away from yesterday:

• Grimmer looks like he's put on about 5kg and looks stronger for it; perhaps we'll rarely see him as a full back in a four in the future
    • Mehmeti's strength / use of body for his size is fantastic; he's also put some extra weight on
    • Mehmeti's stamina / work rate / pressing has improved considerably this season
    • Max's kicking was much better last night; potentially because Vokes makes such a difference as he owns his 10m diameter like no other striker in the league
    • Max's tone management was superb; always in full control of the game's emotions, most notably when he created a crucial stoppage on c75 mins to take the sting out of the game and give GA a chance to reset tactically
    • Tactically, it was fascinating to watch. Accrington went from a 5 at the back with no traditional striker, to a 4 at the back and overloading the midfield, to finally bringing on a traditional number nine. We dealt with this pretty well, switching Tafa and Mawson where required, bringing on Freeman (albeit 10-15 mins late in my opinion), giving Mehmeti further freedom later on in a striker role, allowing AAH some good minutes
    • Obita flourished in a 5 at the back role and was a critical offering of balance
    • McCarthy, although not as technically proficient as others in the league, is absolutely vital for his work ethic, general teamwork and outstanding attitude. He's a real leader now. The glue to hold the team together and keep us moving in the same direction.
    • Gape and Scowen on second ball duty are just unfair. Imagine having to play against them. It would be cruel.
    • When Vokes is winning everything and Gape + Scowen are winning all the second balls, the initial lofted diagonal balls are like a cheat code to win 30-50 yards of ground up the pitch

All this said, we were not at our best yesterday, but I'm very pleased we remained fairly street-smart. It was like Wycombe of 2-3 years ago.

Time to get scoring from set pieces again...

• When I got home my wife said you must be pleased, they won. I said pleased with the win but displeased with the performance. As others have posted, replacing Wing with Freeman should have happened earlier and I wish GA would be more positive. Having said that, I appreciate comments earlier that we have had problems with Accrington before which perhaps explains the caution.