Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington

Comments

• 1 home win in 12 v Accrington, followed by 2/2. Is the curse officially lifted now?

• Superb performance by Stryjek, Mawson, Grimmer & Taffs at the back, Scowen was truly awesome again, lovely work by Mehmeti & great to see Vokes back on the pitch.

Decent win against a good side

• Really? I couldn’t take that too often.

Great maturity by Scowen to restrain someone twice his size. Ali Al-Hamadi was certainly fired up and looked a much bigger threat than Sam Vokes whose best work was defending corners - I think Stanley had a dozen.

MoM ? Difficult but I’m going with Jack Grimmer.

• Not vintage but good result and defended well as a whole.

Special mention to Max and Grimmer, two rocks today.

Would have liked to see AAH for Vokes slightly earlier in the second half as his pace would have scared the life out of that defence, but given the aerial threat of Accy I can see why Vokes played the 90.

We’ll need to play better going forwards against stronger sides, but on a wet Tuesday evening against a team who likely came for a draw, you’d take a scrappy 1-0 every day.

• edited September 2022

I couldn't watch tonight, but I see we blocked 10 of Accrington's 18 shots (which seems crazy). A bit of a backs-to-the-wall job at times?

• Also, losses for MK, Oxford, Derby and Peterborough.

What a lovely evening

• Definitely - brilliant defending, and we still managed to create much the better chances.

• Maybe it’s your ticker Micra! I love watching those kind of performances. Some moments of class, some backs to the wall defending, hunger and desire for every single ball, some passing that wouldn’t be out of place further up the pyramid, some professional moments that you wouldn’t necessarily expect from our younger players (AAH towards the end a fine example)…

Honestly, a really enjoyable game.

• I'm struggling with how to word this, but no team has blocked 50%+ of a higher shots total in L1 this season (if that makes sense!).

• edited September 2022

Pretty well all the time!

We did have half a dozen dangerous counter attacks but couldn’t beat their excellent goalkeeper and solid well-organised defence.

• Fair few long range / harmless efforts that took deflections rather than being blocked is my recollection

• Yeah, the blocks stat could do with a bit more context. But still, sounds like we were seriously solid!

• There were frequently 15-18 players in our box. 11 corners.

• edited September 2022

As in, of all the instances of a team blocking 50% or more of the opposition's shots, no team has faced a higher total than we did tonight (18). I'm too tired to be looking at spreadsheets! I was just trying to make us sound impressive (to be fair, it sounds like we were).

• Well, that might be a slight exaggeration but when the single camera was focused on their corners you couldn’t see how many players were outside the box.

• Yes @ReturnToSenda solid - I couldn’t actually see them scoring - just the fact that it was only 1-0 plus memories of Shrewsbury that made it more nervy perhaps. All round good performance against a typically battling opponent

• Isn’t it easier just to say nobody has blocked more shots than us in a single game?

• I think GA kept Sam on for his ability to defend. I agree that AAH looked more threatening in attack though.

• At what point do Taffs and Mawson get a collective nickname? What are the names of those ancient statues guarding the entrance to a harbour? Or am I getting mixed up with Lord of the Rings?

• Scrappy 1-0 at home to Accy on a wet Tuesday night. Don't you just love football?

• He threatened to flatten that defender who thought it was an all-in wrestling match. Thank goodness for Josh’s intervention.

• edited September 2022

Back 5 put in a tremendous shift today.

Scowen superb as ever

Anis One man force of nature upfront.

why are we playing Wing ahead of Horgan?

Great to see the debut of the Bill Turnbull Gantry

Man of the match? Definitely not the bloke operating the tannoy during the national anthem what a farce!

• 3pts, clean sheet. I thenk yeow...

• Classic midweeker against a lowly northern team barely any atmosphere, raining etc.

But we saw it through decently and probably unlucky not to see one of our breakaways see the win through a bit easier.

Mawson and Taf look a hard partnership to get through, Vokes 90 mins, all positive.

And only 2 points off the playoffs.

• Freemen for Wing should have come much earlier in my opinion.

• But at the end of the day 3 good points and now only 2 points off the playoffs.

• Real backs to the wall stuff at times. That said, we hit them countless times on the break and could easily have scored a few more.

Odd game in a way. Absolute torture to watch at times, but upon reflection it was quite a decent match. 2 fully committed teams, game always in the balance and chances at both ends.

We'll need to improve, but I'm sure that will come with fielding a more settled side on a regular basis.

• I was not there but it sounds like it was the usual league one fare to me. And a much needed win. Often after a break we seem to lose. When were these delightful on the eye, easy, fast flowing games that we dominated from the first whistle that some posters are yearning for ? I must have missed them