Skip to content

RIP Bill Turnbull

13»

Comments

• A truly lovely man and a gentleman, had the pleasure of speaking with him on number of occasions, always had time for people RIP Bill

• Oh for one more commentary from this lovely man!

We love you Bill.

• I heard this news on a rare drive into the office for meetings this morning and I have to say it floored me. Such incredibly sad news. Condolences to all who knew and loved him, particularly his wonderful family. He will truly be sorely missed by many, and as Wycombe fans he contributed so much to so many great memories. I admit that I'm struggling a little, having now had time to watch and read some of the beautiful tributes to him. RIP Bill x

• Truly lovely man was Bill, used to sit in front of us in the Woodlands, he used to chuckle at my friend's over passionate angry outbursts synchronised with his windmill arms.

Absolute Gent, with a quick dry wit, looked absolutely at home in the Vere Suite with his pint and chatting to other supporters.

Very sad day, RIP Bill.

• edited September 2022

Have seen a couple of suggestions that we rename part of the ground after Bill. I think we absolutely should, but which bit? The press area feels fitting.

• Such sad news. My condolences to his friends and family. Always a Chairboy.

• Just seen this very sad news.

Still came as a terrible shock and the thought of not hearing him sat with Phil or stood in the Vere will leave a hole in many Chairboys lives.

One of life’s good guys and my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in Peace Bill.

• The “Bill Turnbull Media Centre” has a nice ring to it.

• Or how about the Bill Turnbull Gantry that he was so fond of and where he spent so many Saturday afternoons.

• Just so incredibly sad tonight - I never met Bill but he was clearly a wonderful, genuine man as so many who did know him have already said. We have lost one of our very best today.

All credit to the Media team today - the club tributes have been absolutely superb and beautifully heartfelt. On Radio 5 this evening they referenced the Wycombe Twitter feed and the mutual passion and love their clearly was between Bill Turnbull and Wycombe Wanderers. I'm sure they've done him proud.

• So sad to be saying goodbye to such a lovely man who had been part and parcel of Wycombe Wanderers for so long.

I didn’t know Bill personally but met him about 10 years ago when he was the questiomaster at a quiz evening in the Vere suite. The team I’d assembled was somewhat below par and Bill presented each one of us with a wooden spoon at the end of what had been a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

One amusing anecdote I recall was related by Ron Monk, a Wycombe supporter since 1945, who had been sitting next to Bill in the Frank Adams stand at a match in which, unusually for Bill (!), he disagreed with quite a few of the referee’s decisions. It was his description of the referee which tickled me. It was ‘so Bill’. He called him a nincompoop!

May I add my own condolences to his family and friends. As so many have said, he will be sorely missed.

• Watched BBC Breakfast this morning with a mixture of tears, laughs and pride for Wycombe Wanderers.

• Ditto @Right_in_the_Middle. Surprised by the emotional impact that had on me. Partly an age thing, I think. Tears never far away.

• Anyone with catchup can get Breakfast (BBC 1). The piece about Bill starts around 6.30 am - see bottom right of screen.

• Tremendous stuff from the BBC

• A lovely round-up of just some of the tributes to Bill here

• edited September 2022

Bills funeral today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-62924487

Rest In Peace Bill.

You will be missed even by people who did not know you.

• On the way back from Bill’s funeral in Suffolk and feeling very proud that so many of his family and friends who gave speeches at the service talked about his love of Wycombe Wanderers. The club was well represented by a number of people including Gareth Ainsworth and John Gorman. We are fortunate to have had Bill as a fan and fortunate to follow a club that means so much to so many people. God bless Bill, once a Chairboy always a Chairboy.

• Alas i never had the chance to meet Bill as i moved from Burnham to Somerset 24 years ago and soon became to ill to travel to Adams Park,i will never forget his chanting at Wembley in 2020 it was relentless,RIP Bill us Wycombe Wanderers fans will never forget your love of our club.

• I'm imagining a teenage William Turnbull receiving a tap on the shoulder and a stranger whispering into his ear, "Billy boy, one day you'll have a gantry named after you". "What?..." said the wild child with a response so restrained it could blow a lino's flag over the terrace roof. I'm sure, though, that loveable lad would now be handing the flag back to the ref's assistant whilst welling up with immense pride in looking up and seeing Phil commentating, Pete cursing and his hero Brownie adding expertise in the seat he once warmed.

• Bills daughter Flora is running the London Marathon in memory of him and to raise awareness of Prostrate Cancer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-64405824

• Yes, good on her and I will be making a donation. But just one small point to your message, it is Prostate Cancer, not Prostrate. That is when you are down on the floor where you are said to be lying prostrate