Skip to content

RIP Bill Turnbull

Comments

• Very sad news and fitting that his family have drawn attention to his passion for WWFC in the media announcements of his passing. I saw him at loads of away games. I remember that emotional speech he gave on the pitch before the last home game v Stevenage of the 2017/18 promotion season. Really had me choked at the time. Best legacy for Bill would be for every male over 50 to visit their GP and demand a prostate cancer test. Do it.

• Such sad news, he will be sadly missed by so many.

• Horrible news. Will miss my elevator pitch style chats we had in the Frank Adams stand and various away grounds.

• Oh shit, only just seen this.

So sad, condolences to the family.

Rest in peace Bill

• Bill being at Wembley was such a gift. The celebration video shows a tiny clip of him celebrating. A moment of pure joy.

• Very sad news indeed. Bill did so much for people in the same predicament and fought hard against his cancer for over 4 years.

RIP Bill.

• I'll never forget hearing Bill chanting "Chairboys" on his own in injury time a classic WWFC moment,RIP Bill everyone involved with the club will miss you.

• edited September 2022

Awful news. RIP. A WWFC legend for his play-off performance alone.

• Very sad news. RIP Bill, a true and passionate Wycombe fan.

• Very sad news. I first remember being aware of Bill when he presented Weekend Breakfast on 5 Live during the 2001 Cup run and for several years he was a regular at Evensong at St Mary's Church in Beaconsfield. He was a kind man with a good heart and his loss will be felt in many places.

• I was told that, even towards the very end, he was still eulogising about Wycombe to visitors - even to those who had but a passing interest in football. Or as he would probably put it, boring the pants off them by banging on about the Blues.

A true character, a great journalist, a warm host and a friendly face. He will be missed.

• What terribly sad news.

• Incredibly sad news. Such a top bloke in so many respects. RIP Bill.

• Awful news and a loss of an amazing TV personality. RIP Bill, you'll be gone but not forgotten

• Terribly sad news, Bill was an absolute gent, sorely missed.

• Very sad news. Never met him personally, but would often see him at Wycombe matches always with a smile on his face. I enjoyed listening to his commentaries. One of those people who just seem to have a lovely warmth about them. Will be missed by all.

• Terrible news, a true gentleman, great character and a real Wycombe supporter and commentator. Will be greatly missed by all at the club. Sending love to all his family.

• very sad news. Never spoke to him but saw him at away games. A friend commented once that they thought the bloke a few rows in front looked like Bill Turnbull off the BBC. When I said it was indeed Bill they noted he was clearly a proper supporter and not your typical celebrity fan who turned up at their matches.

RIP Bill. Proper supporter and proper gentleman.

I’m sure the club will organise a befitting way we can pay our respects.

• Oh no, how very sad, rest well Bill always a Chairboy.

• RIP sir. My indelibly etched memory of his excellent commentary will be from this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTO63Vx4PGQ

WW 1 - Swindon 1, Tommy Mooney getting the stoppage time equaliser, much to the chagrin of the Swindon fans who had been giving him dog's abuse all game for being a Judas etc.

I'm probably paraphrasing, but the comment was, "MOONEY MOONEY WHAT'S THE SCORE, they were chanting - they're not so noisy now!"...you obviously have to read it shouted enthusiastically in Bill's inimitable tones for full effect, but it just stuck with me for its pure jubilation and (perfect) lack of objectivity.

Anyway, as everyone has said, a great ambassador for the club and a sad loss.

• Rest In Peace Bill, a well respected Chairboy

• RIP, such a young age to pass away.

• Terrible news... Rip Bill 💙

• I was also at the event in 2019 at Adams Park giving the rare opportunity for supporters to have a kickabout on the hallowed turf to promote Sergio Torres's DVD. Despite it having been just over a year after his diagnosis for advanced prostate cancer, he was haring around putting some fellow Chairboys just about half his age (ok, me) to shame. This was hands-down my favourite memory of him, though his commentaries over the years and his heroics single-handedly roaring the Wembley heroes of 2020 to victory will also stay in the collective memories of Wanderers forever. On the rare occasions I ended up chatting with him he was nothing but a total gent who was as passionate and knowledge about the club as anyone - just as he always came across on screen.

This picture from the kickabout at AP will always stay with me, showing Ballroom Bill having to cover for my appalling positioning as a centre-back (see the lump in the quarters obscuring the base of the floodlight pathetically jogging back).

RIP Bill - sincerest condolences to his family and friends. I hope they take strength from the depth of feelings in the tributes from a huge range of people across the country.

• Such very sad news. RIP Bill

• Such sad news to Hear, 66 is no age these days and when he was with us breath such enthusiasm and enjoyment into everything Wycombe wanderers. He’ll be sorely missed.

On a personal note, I read the BBC article this piece:

”He said inspiring men to get tested for the illness by publicly revealing his own diagnosis was the "one useful thing" he had done in his life, admitting he was "cross with myself" for the pride he had felt at not visiting a GP in four years”.

After reading it I immediately booked myself in at the Doctors for the appointment You’re offered once you hit a certain birthday that I have been putting off for the last 12 months as this really struck me.

Let’s make sure we’re not doing the same thing Bill was cross with himself over and make sure we are getting those check we all know we should be having, but always put off. Rest in peace Bill.

• I must admit it has also inspired me to book a check up I've been putting off for months/years.