Skip to content

Match day thread: Tottenham (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Impressed with Wakely, Young & Pattenden; thought Parsons played ok & Leathers looked good in his short cameo. Al-Hamidi worked hard but too often drifted wide; Kalinda looks a big unit, sensibly kept it simple & I thought looked ok if very raw.

& now the lottery of penalties for the bonus point

• And the bonus point stays at Adams Park!

• Overall I think it was a poor match but a good run out for the development squad boys, a number of whom look very promising, all of which augers well for the future of the club.

• That was a relative thriller for this tournament - I made it almost 25 minutes!

Joking apart (actually, not joking, I turned off after 25) I do think our development squad is in strong shape, and we will see another breakthrough this season. I think the average of one star/future good sell per year is doable with the talent we are bringing in.

Does AAH count as development squad or is he first team?

• Decent and dominant first half. Poor second half with very little quality on both sides, but a lot of huff and puff. Wakely, who the last time I saw him play was so immobile I thought he must’ve been injured, showed today he must’ve been injured on that occasion. He looked decent today, and had some potential - good in the air with two good feet. Hopefully he can progress. Pattenden looked a good player again, a fighter and pretty decent in the air too. Liked the look of Leathers when he came on too.

• Probably not injured, just feeling the benefit of a third first team outing this month. Like any of us the more they get to do their jobs the more young players start to feel at home and show us their true ability.

Some come on leaps and bounds and inevitably others don’t, but you have to give them a fair chance

Wakely looks like he’s got more than enough to be our fourth choice centre half. He’ll hopefully get a few more cup matches this season and also a few league matches under his belt.

Then maybe this time next year, he’ll be one of our three main centre backs.

That’s gotta be better than bringing one in on loan and sending them back to their parent club at the end of the season for them to get all the benefit of the chances we’ve provided.

• I enjoyed that game tonight - especially watching some of the younger players. I thought Jack Wakely & Ben Kaninda were excellent in the middle of defence.

Disappointed with Spurs - I thought they lacked imagination up front but thought their keeper was excellent, as was their #49 in defence. On a balmy August evening it was much better to be out in the fresh air than stuck indoors!

• The spurs keeper looked good. Possible future loan signing?

• edited August 2022

Goalkeeper is Josh Keeley, Republic of Ireland U19 international, signed from St Patrick's Athletic this summer

• AAH is still a long way short of a League 1 striker. Keen and fully of running but at this stage of his career not much of a goal threat. Need to bring in a replacement for when Vokes cannot play if we are serious about being promotion contenders. Wakely looks ok as 4th choice centre back.

• Agree on Wakely, looks mature and I would be comfortable if he had to step in due to injury,

• Good match tonight. Especially impressed by Jasper Pattenden again, also Jack Wakely was pretty decent. Didn't think Spurs offered a great deal up front, passed it around at speed quite nicely but little end product. Their goalie was good though, a few good saves, particularly one from Connor Parsons. A few promising prospects for us out there.

• Pretty much agree all round. I was more impressed by AAH on Saturday when he had balls played to feet, I know he scored a great headed goal the other day but he seemed to mistime quite a few of his headers to win the ball when it was hoofed long to him.

Was surprised how much the Spurs kids defenders hoofed it, I would have thought that kind of thing got you 50 press-ups at the Spurs academy.

Overall, a highly forgettable game, but I wanted to see more of the dev squad players, and that’s what I got, so fair enough.

I can’t recall the last time a player signed the same day as their debut (Kaninda)…nice work!

• All the quality was in the first half, including one mazy dribble by Parsons, leaving defenders in his wake and looking fleetingly as skilful as Mehmeti. Nick Freeman played as a deep central midfielder and, typically, hardly put a foot wrong. Horgan ran the teenage Tottenham defence ragged and McCarthy looks to be more or less back to full match fitness. Interestingly, for the second game running, he finished up in the left back position. He’s not always been too impressive in that position (to put it mildly) but, with the recent shortcomings in that area, perhaps he will move there temporarily.

The second half was extremely scrappy and I got bored but I’d paid me tenner and I was really only interested in casting an eye over some of the development players and squad members such as Pattenden, Young and Al-Hamadi. The first two really look the part but I’m disappointed to have to say that I too am not convinced that ‘AAH’ is ready for regular first team duty. Wakely was impressive; Ben Kaninda a long way short of first team standard but he’s only 18 and will no doubt come on in leaps and bounds. Big and very tall and no doubt still growing.

• Was last nights match on WWTV only for residents and tourists in Vipienne?

• Everyone. It’s generally only Saturday 3pms that require a trip.

• Kaninda definitely grew into the game, his first few touches were a little ropey but fair enough, he’d been thrown in right at the deep end.

Hope the lad finds his feet here.

• Glad to hear Wakeley is still a good defensive prospect.

• I've just watched the highlights on Youtube and its interesting to see the similarities between our No.24 (is it Leathers?) and O'Nien in their mannerisms. When he was digging the ball out of his feet to then get the shot away, I recall O'Nien reacting and playing exactly like that before his move up north.

• Really pleased to hear about Wakely’s progress.

• He was very impressive. I was surprised to see him so far forward (outside left/Mehmetisville) at least a couple of times more or less straight from the kickoff. That seems to be the way both our young central defenders differ from their predecessors - much greater mobility and license to enter enemy territory.

What an entrance from Adam Leathers. I knew nothing about him at all but he looked strong and skilful. Interesting comparison by @Otter87 with Luke O’Nien. Didn’t spot that myself but he could do a lot worse. Looks to be another strapping youngster. 6’ 2.5” according to transfermarket website. Described as a defensive midfielder but his first action last night was taking the ball into the Tottenham penalty area! He’ll be 21 in November.

• I think Leathers looks really promising

• Glad to hear there were some good individual performances last night, but what’s also good to see is that a side of mostly U21s held their own (and by the sounds of it should probably have won in 90 minutes) against one of the top U23 sides in the country.

Pre-2020, we had no choice but to field senior players in this competition - which perhaps explains why we usually comfortably beat the Premiership kids - but last season the Development Squad had the shit kicked out of them in the group stage, particularly by Aston Villa. Obviously you can’t base too much on one game, but this, coupled with the performances in the League Cup, suggests we have much more quality in our U21s now and the fact that several of these players are only 18/19 years old is pretty exciting. Obviously they’re not all going to go on and make it as Wycombe players, but some of them definitely will.

• That’s a very good point @Jonny_King, one I hadn’t really thought of. As you say, very encouraging.

• I think we may now be slightly loth to take on a loanee goalkeeper and, in any case, who’s to say Max won’t stay for several seasons?

I think the days of Wycombe taking players on loan are largely (if not entirely) behind us. After watching some of our development squad players and fringe players over the last few weeks, I’m pretty sure their development and gradual drafting in to first team matches is the way to go.

Given that we are broadly following the Brentford approach, it would be interesting to know whether they have had many inward loans over recent years. They’ve certainly made some terrific outward loans, starting with Aaron Pierre and Alfie Mawson of course.

• It's comparable, only 4 real regular senior players then, Forino without the experience he has now.

• How was Max with the pens?

• As if the tinpot trophy wasn't tinpot enough already, actual Tom Huddlestone came off the bench for United U21 at Carlisle last night.