Skip to content

Alfie Mawson actually does sign

12346Ā»

Comments

• @micra Much like šŸ† that emoji has multiple meanings. You might need a cold bath!

• You can call me Spider @ReturnToSenda. Why? Because itā€™s years since I had a bath. I discovered about ten years ago, after breaking my wrist, that I couldnā€™t get out of the bath. Sad but true. šŸ•·

• Yeah, could possibly be talking about the ref, based on that article. Don't remember him hinting at the ref in the radio interview though. Maybe I just wasn't listening properly šŸ™„

• On paper we have an incredibly strong starting 11 L1, definitely one of the best in the division. Ultimately what consistently costs us is silly defensive mistakes. If we can work on that weā€™ll have a cracking season, all it takes is a nice win on Tuesday and we will all be in a good mood for the rest of the week!!

• If all eight of the ā€˜injuredā€™ players remain unavailable, some might question whether we currently have ā€œā€¦an incredibly strong starting elevenā€.

Letā€™s hope that, whatever the eleven/eighteen, we perform well at what hasnā€™t always been the happiest of hunting grounds. At least it will be ten degrees (Celsius) cooler than Saturday.

• I think even the professional optimists on here couldn't claim we have a strong 11 if everyone was out injured!

• 1st half and until our goal Mehmeti was having a joyful game on the left. Horgan was playing some great stuff behind the striker and drifting here and there to support both wings. GMac was doing GMac things on the right with some energetic support from Grimmer. Delicious stuff. And then GMac decided to drift (or was told to drift). Suddenly Horgan was not in space. Mehmeti had GMac stood next to him. Our right wing was exposed. I just don't know why we did this. I assume it was a tactical change else Gareth would have been doing his pieces. But this one little change basically buggered our 3 biggest threats. I'm still mystified as to what went wrong and why. It was champagne stuff until it happened and then it became luke warm Blue Nun.

• Of course but youā€™re missing the point.

Iā€™m really more interested in whether folk think that the starting eleven tomorrow would be significantly stronger if, say, particular players amongst those currently unavailable were to replace one or more of those who started on Saturday.

Iā€™m trying to heed @HolmerBlueā€™s suggestion about playing nicely. I feel a bit cheated by Carol Kirkwood and her colleagues for having promised cooler weather today. Itā€™s up there in the thirties yet again.

• we have a really strong 11 and would be a match for anytime in this league, I feel if we got a goalkeeper like Foster (who dickinson could learn from) the below would be amazing

GK Foster

CM Taf , Forino , Mawson

Wingbacks Obita Mcarthy

CM Scowen

MF Anis Horgan Gmac

Vokes

• The 3 CBs as a combo have potential to be the best in the league.

Wing, Thompson and Gape as options too.

• If you've got Tafazolli and Mawson you don't need a 3rd centre half.

Leave out Forino and put in Gape/Wing/Thompson

• edited August 2022

tl:dr starting 11 has always been fine. Depth in defence has been the issue since Jan/feb.

Contrary to perhaps many peoples thoughts after my previous posts, and even before Mawson joined, I think we had a good starting 11. one that could challenge for promotion - if, and thatā€™s a huge if, they are all fit.

The issue for me has always been the depth in defence - not actually because Stewart left, it was an issue before then. We saw it in that Jan/feb slump last season where one or both of him or taff were out and we had a terrible run which could be argued cost us a real shot at automatic promotion.

Going forward and from the def mid onwards (Scowen, gape, Thompson, Wing) we almost have an embarrassment of riches let along an attacking front line.

my entire frustration this preseason, is that we hadnā€™t got an ooc Cb in place ready to rectify last seasons hole at the start of the window. Seems a missed opportunity or, for some reason, we couldnā€™t find one in there entirety of the game of football willing to come. Iā€™m not talk a Mawson or a Stewart or a Taff, but a solid enough average decent league one/top of league 2 Cb.

An issue which has then been exacerbated once stocko and Stewart left because, for me, Centre defence and new keeper partnerships need a preseason or 5 to 10 games to start gelling by which point it could be huge uphill climb

• Leave out Forino? I donā€™t think so! If we sign an experienced goalkeeper (you never know!) and he, Mawson and Tafazolli are all fit, Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™ll play three at the back plus wingbacks. McCarthy/Grimmer on the right and Obita on the left (with Parsons understudying). Forino is far too good to be on the bench.

• Thanks, Eric!

• Forino is an excellent prospect but far from the finished article (have a look at Shrewsbury's first goal on Saturday for example)

If you've got centre halves as good as Mawson and Tafazolli there is no need whatsoever to play a third.

• Its interesting that JJ doesn't feature on any of the dream XI's that have been named above. He's conceded 2 pens in 2 matches and while his reading of the game is excellent, his physical's no longer match up to the demands of the style that we tried to play on Sat...

• Iā€™ve given you a thumbs up for at least showing the courtesy of a reasoned response., @eric_plant.

• Until Taffs says 'Hey, Alfie fancy a night out? The boss doesn't mind...'

• So what if you want to play with wing backs? Do you still play 2 CB's? It's ridiculous to discount a player because the other 2 are "good anyway", without making any consideration for the system we may wish to play.

Thiago Silva, Koulibaly and Reece James are all pretty good but they manage to all get a game in a back 3.

• I donā€™t agree with a lot of it, but thatā€™s your most eloquently put post on the subject @TheDancingYak