Skip to content

I think I might have found something to unite the Gasroom

Comments

• It will be interesting to see if a commercial operator - Talksport perhaps - sees a sufficient demand for this service to justify airtime and if so whether it is still doing it by the end of the season. Frankly I doubt it. The internet continues to change the world, often in a a negative direction but in this case where football scores and results are available on demand rather than just at 5.02pm probably in a good way.

• The more likely outcome will be radio five backtracking on their decision to ditch it

And rightly so

• The only thing surprising about this to me is that the rest of Radio Five isn't being axed with it. They've been in a lowest common denominator race to the bottom with TalkSport for years now.

• @DevC Why would TalkSport take on a public service? They aren't funded by the public to provide such a thing.

• @DevC - ps, do you advocate for the BBC to give up transmitting all forms of information that is available elsewhere? The news, arts, plays, music? It's going to be a pretty thin BBC if they follow your logic.

• Commercial operators see no point in a lot of things...which is why there is hardly any children's programming on ITV, and why so many treasure the BBC.

If Commercial broadcasters could legally ditch news and sell enough advertising during wall to wall Britain's Got Talent they would soon decide 'there is no demand for news'.

• A good number of news providers have given up news too but that's a different story

• No but views have been expressed above that there is a significant public demand for this .

if there is surely a commercial operator - say Talksport - would see a commercial opportunity in attracting that demand to its station, try to retain them for a bit and then sell them some advertising. If Talksport do not it surely suggests that their judgement at least is that few actually want this.

• I haven’t listened to TalkSport so far this season, but they have been reading the classified results on their Saturday afternoon show for many years. This is a poor decision by the BBC and one I think they will come to regret, much like when they dropped the iconic Sports Report theme tune Out of the Blue only to relent and reintroduce it after complaints from their audience.

• Once again premier league and pay-per-view alter long standing traditions to the detriment of the rest of us.😡

• So there is already a classified results service available to those who want it at presumably the same time?

sorry what is the problem then?

• edited August 2022

Sports coverage on five live is brilliant, I think

• Totally agree it’s a disgrace. Once again the BBC thinks that we’re only interested in the Premier League I wonder what was going on this Saturday. I got into my car after watching the FA Cup match at Burnham and usual music came up. We got the Premier League results of course We were then told that because there was a game on commentary at 5:30 they would use the short time they’ve got to analyse guess what Premier League matches and then it was back to as you say “ we go again” and “ there are a lot of positives we can take out of this“ Utter nonsense. I will tune in to the station such as talkSPORT in the hope that someone will take over the reading of the results.

• For you there is no problem @DevC market forces have spoken. Nothing to see here. 😉

• That’s not the point, the BBC is the national broadcaster and should be providing this service to their listeners. If you are suggesting that they should drop programme content just because it is available on other channels there would be long periods of silence on their output. Dropping the classified results could well force a large number of their target audience to switch to TalkSport who I am certain will relish the chance to take advantage of this misguided decision.

• edited August 2022

They already are providing a score service to its customers though on its website along with goal times scorers teams substitutions attendance and a short report - they just choose not to bother repeating a worse service that their market research has presumably identified is largely unwanted at a busy time on the radio.

life moves on and what was once needed eventually becomes obsolete - just like listening to scores when they remember on radio Luxembourg or calling “ringing the blues” or buying a newspaper or that weird opening music radio 4 dumped a few years ago or playing the national anthem when BBC1 closed down for the night.

That’s my view anyway. Other opinions are available and just as valid. Over and out

by the way I agree with @eric_plant - radio 5 live is generally pretty good.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2022

News content - already available from Reuters but why go that far when Facebook will tell you that you were right about everything anyway and hook you up with the material to prove your point.

Music - available on Capital, ClassicFM and Kiss, plus l've got a subscription to Spotify, doesn't everyone just use that these days?

Arts/Science/Culture - go to the library/theatre/museum, find a Ted lecture.

TV - basically the same as ITV, so you won't miss us. Besides, BBC4 is just a bunch of repeats these days, they stopped commissioning new material a while ago in favour of broadening the amount of shows they could shoe-horn Stacy Dooley into.

Never mind the fact that everyone pays in to the BBC for them to provide content as a public service for the whole spectrum of society. To get back to the specifics though, what are they going to be filling the airwaves with instead of Sports Report?

• It's not really obsolete if people still enjoy listening to the results being read out, even if there are other ways of obtaining the information. I suspect they'll be brought back before too long. An equivalent would be dropping the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4. Totally feasible - you don't go to sea relying on the radio for weather these days - but there would be so much uproar from its listeners that it would never be contemplated.

• There is a whole sector in the age group between 70 and 100 who are of not the Internet age, and some not that keen on TV, but love their Wireless. Many of these people's health, prevents them from venturing far, and often are housebound. It seems rather cruel to deprive these people of what was a national institution the 5 o'clock classified results. But no doubt all the BBC execs are too busy make sure they tick all their diversity boxes, to worry about our frail pensioners.

• I’m going to listen to the iconic theme song on repeat until they reverse their decision!

• Such a shame, listening to the results whilst driving home were as much a part of my football day as getting to the ground or checking the team sheet. And did it really take up that much time.

• Bloody hell how did I not spot that autocorrect error.

• Is it obsolete if lots of people like the idea of it but never listen to it? Probably

If the Gasroom's fine followers of classic literature will allow the comparison: Many people my age enjoyed the final episode of Neighbours last week and railed against its closure. Most hadn't watched a single episode in two decades.

• It lost all credibility for me after Bouncer's Dream. (I did not even know it was still on.)

• Nooo! This is a step closer to my mortal fear that they will axe the Sports Report signature tune 😞