Skip to content

I think I might have found something to unite the Gasroom

Comments

• I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio and even I'm up in arms

• More room for 'we go again' interviews that illuminate and inform the fans.

• I have no wish to be illuminated @Wendoverman. I’m happy just to be enlightened every now and then.

I could possibly offer a more constructive (enlightened even) response to @eric_plant’s post if I could get the flipping link to do its job. I think they normally only work if they’re in blue.

What’s it all about, anyway?

• I very much want us all to be united. It’s a lovely warm feeling, apparently.

• Agreed. Yet another sign of the BBC’s contempt for football below the Premier League

• For some reason this link refuses to download for me. What have I done to upset it?

• What has @Rasputin got that I haven’t? Scope for a bit of wittery there.

• Same for me, just copy and paste it into your website address slot @micra

• (edited the opening post to fix the stupid broken auto-linking @eric_plant, hope you don't mind)

• The tradition surely dates from the time when for those attending a game, it was pretty much the only way of discovering the scores. It was always really annoying if the live game had overrun and you only succeeded in getting back to your car in time to hear the Scottish league 2 scores.

Nowadays though the vast majority of us have internet on phones and can look up scores, scorers and fantasy league points far more conveniently than having to listen at a defined time to the radio.

Not surprising to see it go tbh.

• uk/news/entertainmentuk/news/entertainment-arts-62397375-arts-62397375

many thanks @Wendoverman. Took me a while to work out what/where my website address was (!) so copied and pasted to comment box. But I got there in the end.

Henry Winter is great, Charles Dagnall has an irritating voice and I’m inclined to agree with Adam Crafton. But, having said that, I remember in my youth, eons ago, the happy feeling as the familiar signature tune (Hubert Bath’s Out of the Blue) played on the car radio and John Webster read the results in a range of tones that enabled you to know whether it was a home win, away win or draw before you knew who the away team were.

John Webster was the first announcer in the early ‘fifties, James Alexander Gordon took over in 1974 and retired in 2013 after handing over the reins to Charlotte Green.

Just three announcers spanning 60 years. Quite incredible (in the sense of extremely!)

In more recent years, the station of choice for me and my passengers post match has been Three Counties of course.

RIP The Classified Football Results.

• edited August 2022

This was tongue-in-cheek btw. I'm with Crafton; I doubt many people will notice. It was a nice tradition, but the world moves on and all that.

• I do wonder about the significant of people who don't have access to results on their phone, e.g. those with sight loss.

What next, do away with the news because we can all access that on our phones too?

• You’ve still got nearly an hour to pop ‘number’ in @Twizz !

• You would think three or four minutes of someone reading the results out is hardly a cost centre,

Waiting for weather reports to end as 'Nowadays everyone can look out of their window...'

• Oh, don’t be silly @Wendoverman. 😜

• My favourite one is 'If you don't want to know the results, look away now' at the end of the 10 o'clock news. A couple of points:

1. Who is getting that far into the day without finding out the footy scores? Impressive tbf.

2. Looking away is only going to be any use if you're deaf - in which case, you won't hear the warning, and the subtitles won't be quite quick enough.

• Actually, mea culpa. Reports are very different to forecasts and we’re not really that interested in what the weather’s like elsewhere. But it’s pretty hard to do a forecast just by looking out of the window.

Even I would struggle with that.

• Like the BBC. once it is gone (and believe me since old Ma Thatcher threw a hand grenade into TV in the 1990s, Tory governments have always looked at ways of cutting the remits for the amount of news required in broadcasting acts ), even the most voracious critics will miss it.

• Very well put. There is also the point that the internet coverage is so bad in many football stadiums (not so much AP - thanks Rob) that it's not always possible to keep your eye on results before you're back at your car anyway.

• To be honest, although I am kept up to date by the Gasroom about Wycombe when I am not at AP, I manage to get to MOTD often without knowing the scores...but then again, when I am not working I am not a telephone hugger at the weekends.

• No chance of hearing the 5pm results in recent years if you've been at a Wycombe game. A really useful service when driving though. Seems petty to remove it and a real kick at the lower leagues.

The BBC should be looking at the 5.15 pm output as when I do get to the car they are always (and I mean always) talking about the lunch time game from hours before.

• I do find this rather depressing news. I stopped listening to 5 Live regularly years ago, but Sports Report remains the best way of getting football results if you're in the car - particularly given that mobile Internet is often impossible to access in full stadiums.

If it was replaced by something of value (a three minute run through of every notable development in non-league football for example - then fair enough, but instead it will be more inane interviews or pointless views of Terry from Bracknell.

• Sorry, I meant that as a joke because the news is bleak af these days

• I getcha, and I am sorry for taking you literally @ReturnToSenda And yes...the news has been unremittingly bleak (it seems to me) for a few years now...although obviously losing at Bolton and not having an experienced keeper puts political turmoil, extremism, economic collapse, armed conflict and the world becoming an oven into the shade! ☺️

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2022

I am invariably tuning in around 5pm after a match or on my way home from work and I hear this service leaking out of passing vehicles all the time. I don't think it is very helpful of observers to point out that this content is available elsewhere, do they feel that motorists are all going to pull over at 5pm to check the BBC website for the scores? Or have they have they simply not considered who the audience is and what they will be doing?

• BBC showing once again how hopelessly out of touch they are, well at least with me.

• As someone who had the honour and privilege of presenting the iconic Sports Report in my BBC radio days many moons ago, I am saddened to hear this news. I know there are now so many ways of getting the football results, but some traditions are surely worth keeping and I believe this is one of them. What next, drop the TV results service from Grandstand? The classified results are part and parcel of winter Saturday afternoons and should remain so.