Skip to content

Rare Wanderers Photo

Comments

• On Phil Ball's left is the sadly departed Ian Mitchell. On Rod Lavers's left is Clive Turner. I think I see Adrian Wood in the group on the right.

• This is the guy whose name escapes me. So annoying.

• The guy in the glasses celebrating with his hands in the air behind Mark Dawber used to be on St John's Ambulance duty on Loakes Park matchdays when I was a kid.

I recognise so many faces in these photos, but know the names of none!

• That's Adrian Dempsey, he still works at Adam's Park.

One hilarious incident was when he stood on the stretcher strap at Loakes Park, and you could here it rip.

I used to work with Adrian in the furniture industry, he used to consume more polo mints than Red Rum. It was a standing joke that players would see him trotting on with his stretcher, and all of a sudden make a remarkable recovery, rather than face the career threatening ordeal of being on Mr Dempseys crazed chariot.

• Adrian Dempsey, of course! I remember him from 40+ years ago. I liked his sister.

• Yes, a real ale fanatic! I've always wondered if the Viz comic strip about real ale fanatics was based on him. A chance meeting at a pub in Gateshead perhaps?

• This was after the last game of the season, 1993 probably. My and my mate and his dad led the pitch invasion - unsure if anyone else would follow. A copper, who could see we were getting ready to run on, asked us kindly to wait for the final whistle.

• LDFLDF
    edited July 2022

Another one of the old Woodlands Terrace. All these were taken at the same match, which might've been the FA Trophy semi final against Altrincham in 1991 but I'm far from sure about that. I think the celebrations on the pitch were a different day. Input welcome.

• 88 year old Ron Monk to the rescue. The name I couldn’t remember was Bill Cleere.

Hope that’s a correct identification. It certainly isn’t Ian St John!

• edited July 2022

What's Ian Brown doing there bottom right?

• LDFLDF
    edited July 2022

Ha ha, yes a popular look at the time and another familiar face I can't put a name to; same goes for his mates. He doesn't look too chuffed at having his picture taken.

• Some names for those Dulwich and Evenwood photos, kindly supplied by Dave and Lynden Finch. The Dulwich photo could be 67-68, or Corinthian Casuals there that season, where they played at that time.

• Bob Smith and his Ford Mercury.

• @Steve_Peart I remembers it well!

• I wonder where that car is now, hope it didn't return to High Heavens.

• Between the two rose and crown regulars Jim Hoyle and Malcolm Heather looks like ex barman Malcolm Essex, rather cruely knowns as Alki Malki !!

• 17 May 1991, Mark West makes his only England appearance, against Wales at Stafford Rangers. A hard watch, Westy played wide out of position, with future Premier league striker Paul Furlong up front as well.

• Kenny Lowe in the background one of my favourite opposition players. Had this rangy casual nonchalance, and was always in control of the ball.

He was just a pleasure to watch.

• Lowe was a very talented creative midfielder, with some sublime skills, and by this time was a big £40k signing for Barnet. He had a late FL career with Stoke and Birmingham and went on to manage Perth Glory in the A League for five years. Currently manager of Perth RedStar.

Also in that England game was Mark Carter, who replaced Westy as sub and scored. He remains the top England 'C' scorer with 13 goals. He was a prolific scorer for Runcorn before Barnet, who else, snapped him up. I think we tried to sign him but he didn't want to give up his fruit and veg business, before Fry tempted him. I also remember that he always looked forward to having a brew with groundsman Rod Lavers on his visits here.

• Kenny Lowes parents seem to like the name Ken, as his sister was named Kendra and an English netball star, who was awarded the OBE.

• There is a bit of an odd assortment of footie related stuff here you might enjoy browsing through .... https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7BQFQD

• Kettering 91. Three current season ticket holder in the stand.

• I have posted this a few times. Front page of the Bucks Free Press, Dec 75. The queue for Boro tickets. When the FA Cup was the most important competition.

• I recongnise the two fair haired lads as former 80's programme editor and his brother. 4 behind them is former rose and crown barman Malcolm, with his hand raised, he was rather cruelly nicknamed 'Alky Malky' by Wanderers fans in that stronghold.

• Stuff retro kit day; we should have a game where we all come dressed like that.

• Or like an even earlier era, when it was full formal attire. Maybe wait until the weather's a bit cooler, though...

• I remember being in that queue for Middlesbrough tickets. As a season ticket holder I complained at the AGM the following summer that no preferential treatment was given to us and that we had to take our chances of getting a ticket like everybody else. Obviously inherently unfair bearing in mind our average gate was around 2 1/2 thousand and 12,000 tickets were snapped up. The club chairman at the time Jack Smethurst (no not the star of Love thy Neighbour) viewed me as some kind of 70s militant union official for daring to raise this subject. One of the other committee members gave a slightly more diplomatic response saying they were wandering up and down the queue picking out season ticket holders they knew by sight. ! (I wasn’t spotted )Different era !