Skip to content

All quiet on the twitter front

Comments

• You never know, they might be storing all of the contract extensions and signings up so that we have all of our (major) deals done in one day?

Granted, this has never happened before but it would be great to have most/all of our transfer business finished before we have our major pre-season friendly.

Actually, have we named any friendlies that the first team will play in? I know the Dev squad have a few local games but nothing has been mentioned about the 1st first?

• You say that like the British didn’t have a history of doing it in the past.

i’m no defender of Middle Eastern working practises and modern day slavery. But people here still yarn for the Empire because we were great then.

and dubai, as per of the overall emirates does have its own culture. It’s might not be so obvious because it is, or was, a tiny country until globalisation came along and it was discovered they had things we want.

the western world is probably as much at fault for any dilution or perceived lack of culture than Dubai is.

• I blame our imperial past for every atrocity that happens in the modern world thus I can travel with a clear conscience to every despotic country that needs my tourism money.

• edited June 2022

You say that like I've not mentioned on the Gasroom our own shameful history many, many times in the past. And of course western culture is massively to blame for what happens there, none of that would be happening if it wasn't for rich tourists and anyone who goes there on holiday is contributing to those deaths.

• Whataboutery over atrocious human rights abuses is a bit weird tbh

• As @ReturnToSenda said I only mention Dubai which is not even a country, it’s a city in the UAE and upto the late 40’s was an impoverished fishing village with a population of half the size of current Chesham.

Culturally only a handful of buildings exist older than 1950, a fort, house and a school being all I could find.

Only 3% of the current adult population are born and bred in Dubai of UAE nationality.

You mention some excellent things to do but none of these are of cultural significance. The fort would interest me greatly though, something you failed to mention.

Many I’m sure will enjoy what it has to offer but it would be at the bottom of my list.

• @wwfcblue Are you implying that Chesham has no culture?!

• So.... have we signed anyone yet?

• edited June 2022

So you’re only measure of going to a place is it’s cultural experience and because you don’t see something you want to do, you don’t see why other people will want to go there. Is that what your saying?

Not everyone wants to go to dubai for the same reasons as you and the excellent things I mentioned directly answered you query as to why people want to go there, and not your personal requirement for cultural enrichment.

as it happens though, Abu Dhabi is an hour drive away from Dubai And has some fantastic sites you can have a look around, such as the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It’s a stunning piece of architecture at a very base level let alone it’s cultural and religious symbology.

I would personally prefer Abu Dhabi to dubai if I were to choose again. But that was about 8 years ago I went and there was a sea of change going on there too.

Dubai was built on oil. Before that it was a fishing port and that’s about it. What you are seeing in dubai is there shift away from oil (it’s running out) and a shift in becoming a tourist hotspot to do all the things I mentioned. lots of people want to do the tourist thing and aren’t wholly worried about culture. But there is some there and in the UAE if you look

• Have a day off lads. This is a football forum

• Is a lack of culture being confused with a lack of history? I see some culture in Dubai when I visit. Don't see history.

• When does the transfer window open? I read it was Friday. Is that the same for EFL clubs?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub 10th June if a club is paying a fee for the player. However free / out of contract transfers can't be confirmed until the 1st July

• So in conclusion it seems we have signed Watabouteri from Dubai.

NBTWAG?

• Someone really should put together a Gasroom glossary.

• Congratulations @ReturnToSenda on reaching a century of ‘likes’ - 115, in fact. Not sure how that computes in terms of ‘likes’ per post.

• Have you seen the weird post on twitter & story on the website about Jean-Baptiste Fischer and what he has 'learnt' while being here?

It just seems like a complete lack of class from the club. "Tell us how good we are when we don't want you"

• Yeah, I thought that was very odd - especially for paywalled content.

• And they've just gone live with the voting for player of the season as well.

I know it feels wrong to do the voting weeks before the season ends but it also feels wrong this long after the season ended too.

• edited June 2022

Thanks for this - had no idea as they haven't announced on socials weirdly. I agree it feels late.

• Ah, apparently they tweeted it but put the wrong season and never redid it

• Classly!

• Roll on the kit launch to end the moans at lack of content, then moans at actual content 😂

• edited June 2022

Just had a quick look on the O'Neil's site to see if they might have dropped a clanger and put the new kits on their site early again 🤷🤣... No such luck.... Yet!

• It's also very humid!

• Dubai that is! Forgot I was on page 1!

• We have a twitter rumour this morning !

One of a number of clubs in for young Man Utd keeper Nathan Bishop

• I'd be delighted with him, although that is only according to Alan Nixon of The Scum

• 22 years old and played for Mansfield last season Exeter are after him as well i read a couple of days ago.