Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• They should have signed Bolt when he considered taking up football.

• Jordon Ibe spotted at the Friday night game at Chesham United….

• Will next week be the week we have some resolution to this conundrum ...

• Luca Woodhouse from National League South is apparently into his second week of trials with us, it's his 18th birthday today so I'm guessing another development squad signing.

• So they new GK is Josh Blunkell, wooow

• edited July 2022

We have also signed a player called Luke Blunkell (which has just popped up on the club's app). According to Suffolk News (local paper to Sudbury) he had the interest and trial with Bournemouth at some point last season. Seems like a very promising young keeper.

As both Dickinson and Blunkell have both been training with the squad for most of the pre-season, does that mean that we'll start with either of these and if/when Bishop signs, he'll come in once he has become familiar with the squad?

• We're not going to start the season with a youngster with zero EFL experience in goal

• Why not? They all have to start somewhere? Plus Dickinson had a few games in the Pizza Trophy last season so he won't be a complete novice

• Jesus....hope this is not true

• edited July 2022

Because that's not good enough for a team with promotion aspirations. It sounds like Bishop has been in the pipeline for ages, hopefully announced today. If we don't have a no1 ready for the start of the season, Gaz will have a few questions to answer (but I'd be amazed if it came to that).

• One week till the new season and not a single first team signing has been made. What are they doing?!

• He's a "new" keeper yes, but he's not "the" keeper we're awaiting.

• Mellor seems to be a squad player as opposed to a development guy.

Hope so anyway!

• Welcome aboard @Mehmessi. I’m flattered that you have chosen for your username a play on Anis Mehmeti’s surname which I coined during the Championship season and which I’m proud to say @bluntphil attributed to me (without actually naming me) during commentary.

• Blackman signs for Exeter, another one that got away, Exeter were probably will to pay better wages ...and we have 2 GK s on YTS wages lol

• @Wanderers82 Lets just see where we are standing when the transfer window shuts, we might have saved the club quite a bit of money!

• As if we needed a reminder of what we're up against financially, Ipswich have just signed Leif Davis from Leeds for a reported £1m+.

• Lot of clubs in league 1 rolling the dice again. Still, what's the worse that could happen?

• Ipswich have finally clicked since Kieran McKenna took over - extremely stingy at the back, were slightly blunt in attack but have added Ladapo and Harness. If they're not challenging for at least play-offs, something's gone very wrong.

• It seems as though League 1 is becoming as competitive if not more competitive and unpredictable than the Championship as you can look at the league and you can see a lot of difficult & strong teams with fallen giants still here + joining us this season and small clubs that are up & coming. Some of these clubs have taken the gamble on splashing the cash (that they do & don't have) and brought in big names (for this level), some haven't made as many transfers that other would expect and some have gone about their business quietly and could spring a surprise or two along the way. This is why I prefer football outside of the Premier League where everything is almost structured and pre-arranged. The EFL is where some of the great games can be found and the stories written.

• For me , this Jamal Blackman news is the most concerning thing I've seen this summer. If he was willing to sign for Exeter it strikes me as extremely likely his agents would have approached Wycombe as well. We know that Gareth likes signing ex-players and has previously raved about Blackman's time here; that the club philosophy has moved away from bringing in loanees; and that he chose Stockdale over Allsopp last summer because he valued experience between the sticks. I would be very surprised if he had not wanted to sign Blackman - with his Championship and Wycombe experience - rather than take a loanee, even one of the calibre of Bishop.

Which leads me to wonder whether the barrier was financial. It strikes me that a significant saving has been made by taking Stockdale off the books, ditto Akinfenwa. Maybe Stewart as well? So surely we could afford Blackman's wages.

In which case, I'm wondering whether Rob Couhig has decided to reduce this season's wage budget. We missed last season's target of promotion and we won't be getting parachute payments this season so I can understand if that's the case. I also suspect the days where we'd hear of a budget cut are long past (was it the last season of Trust ownership that someone let it be known the wage budget had been reduced by 30%?)

But I would raise an eyebrow - I suspect Gareth would too but would be far too diplomatic to do so in public - if the chairman were to publicly set the target as promotion once again, while behind the scenes reducing the wage budget.

I guess we'll never know.

• Some interesting and thought provoking observations. I agree we would have made significant savings with Stocko, Stewart and the Beast going. Also I suspect Bloomfield maybe on lesser wages being on the coaching staff. So potential money to spend. Bishop is clearly promising ( if we get him!!) but Blackman was good for us and experienced. I’m surprised we didn’t go for him. Surely we can compete with Exeter on wages. Slightly nervous with this transfer window. I know@glasshalffull , there are plenty of days left but if we leave it to late, we may drop unnecessary points early on , in what again will be a very competitive league.

• Have you ever thought about taking up olympic long jumping @aloysius? Because you've made some really big leaps there.

• @aloysius cannot help but feel you're making up your own story there and then getting angry about it.

• Blackman's best ever season was that one he had with us. Doesn't look half the keeper he was now.

• I would be amazed if our budget this season is as high as last, we have to cut our cloth accordingly and make sure we have a sustainable club.