Skip to content

Strange !!

2»

Comments

• In a way yes as I recall standing at Loakes Park side by side with opposition supporters all celebrating what went on with no problems arising that I noticed at the time. I just wonder what has happened since to make people so touchy? It seems that a football match is a proxy war between players bound by the laws of the game whilst many supporters seem to think that the real battle is off the pitch with no similar set of laws in place.

• Last time we were there, we were sat in the Club Wembley level. My wife (who’s attended two football matches in her life) came back to the airport lounge style tables with a tray shouting, ‘You can get Sushi - is it like this at all the games’?

Sushi production in any of Adams Park’s teabars is a terrifying thought 🤢

• I must admit the sight of popcorn at football matches really irritates me and I don't know why

• There was a guy on our train home who had a proper shiner of a black eye. he was still on the cans too so obviously saw it was a minor occupational hazard.

• There were drugs dogs doing the rounds outside the ground. A fella I front of us got the dog’s attention and he was taken away to have his marching powder confiscated.

• Had a lady sat behind me who was absolutely baffled as to why everyone was standing - in block 111, the designated 'singing section'. Barely recognised 1/4 of the faces in the whole block. Most bizarre.

• Same here. I was in 102 so it was to be expected. Likewise the two blokes behind me who spent all their time talking about Chelsea.

• As we walked in one of the drug dogs took a hell of an interest in an old fella of about 90. Possibly also trained on Werther's Originals.

• The two elderly ladies in block 111, who wanted to sit, were standing next to my son (blowing up the large balloons), who was standing 2 rows behind me.

That means @frequentstander you must have been standing behind me! Did I give you a balloon to blow up?

• @wingnut have ypu seriously never understood football segregation...or just the capacity of humans for violent disorder?

• As I have already mentioned I hearken back to Loakes Park where we all stood together and celebrated whatever came along very happily. Society has become more confrontational which is a pity. This from yesterday's Guardian sums up the situation pretty well:- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/20/football-fans-ugly-behaviour-society-pitch-invasions

• edited May 2022

Haven't read this yet, but it's Wilson, so I probably agree already

• I don't understand booze, let alone drugs, but why on earth would anyone take coke to a game, rather than just have used it before hand?!

• edited May 2022

In harping back to Loakes Park I feel like you might have missed one or two things that happened in the 70s and 80s, possibly not at LP as that's before my time but there are plenty of stories of old away tear ups that get raised here from time to time , it's post-lockdown rise is annoying but it didn't start recently.

• I know what you mean. At half time yesterday I got my son some pick n mix because it was the only "food" without a que. A small boy in front of me got his bag weighed.... £12.85! He looked shocked but returned a minute later with his Dad's debit card. I was just trying to imagine my Dad doing similar in the late 1980's, no chance.

• I passed a very dapper looking gent wearing an ensemble such as you describe, on my way out of Baker Street tube after the match. I can only assume this was your good self, and may I say, very well turned out. Unfortunately I was unable to say hello as there was an eagerness for a few beers within my party.

• That pic n mix was a real surprise to have there wasn't it.

Didn't see any prices up, so no surprise to get a wake up call! Bet that bag wasn't even crammed solid either.

• I don't understand all of the messages & posts that Wembley & club's put out about bag sizes etc. What was the point? To try & stop flares and smoke things?

It really didn't work at the Sunderland end (when they scored) and it really makes you wonder, if someone / group of people wanted to be stupid, would they even be stopped before getting in??

• People smuggle pyro in by putting it in an area where you won't get patted down...

• @a40 good chance it was me as I went back via Marylebone then Baker St for the Circle Line back to St Pancras to get my train down to Dover

• My son-in-law and grandson rose to their feet from the settee as Vokes tried to disentangle his own feet when one on one with the Sunderland goalkeeper (Patterson) but, apart from that, everything was very low key.

• He was only 29 but crystal meth does tend to do that to you.

• I was right next to the rogue Executive Box Mackem with my 7 year old daughter. Was quite disturbing really. He was an absolute tool for shouting loudly and clearly revelling in rubbing it in after their second goal. Some Wycombe fans were angrily trying to confront him and loads of Wembley staff in blue were trying badly to calm the situation.

The security eventually forced him inside but he threw some paper or something which hit me. I really don't get why he couldn't just have enjoyed the moment without revelling in confrontation, and the same goes for the Wycombe fans who wanted to scuff as well.

Luckily my daughter didn't notice too much as she'd already switched to her Tablet and headphones on about 65 mins. She did enjoy the day in all though and I'm sure she's a Wycombe fan for life. She was very upset Akinfenwa didn't get his fairytale ending.