Skip to content

Strange !!

Was in block 114 row 10.

Had 5 empty seats next to me. Then 15 minutes into the 2nd half, 2 Herbert's came into the row looking for somewhere to sit. They must have been about 16 years old.

They sat in our row, everyone was stood up, they sat down, so couldnt see anything. They lit up cigarettes. Showing not 1 bit if interest in the game at all.

The fan in the row in front rightly told them to put their cigarettes out, 1 of the chaps did the other one smugly ignored him. A fight nearly ensued.

However, these 2 guys who stayed in the row for about 15 minutes showed not 1 bit of interest in the game. No singing. No emotion. No shouting. No watching. No team colours.

Any idea what the hell they were all about ?

Comments

• Probably high... did the fags have a funny smell ?

• Nope. No drug or alcohol smells.

No idea who they were and what they were up to. Never seen them before and definitely not invested into the game, southern accents as well .

• Stadium workers on a break?

• The stranger thing in my block was the number of empty seats and rows. Sure they were not available for sale and assumed sold.

Saw lots turned away at the gate. Did they have non working tickets there and were moved?

• Saw a few people moaning about tickets not working. But they seem to have got in, presumably in the original seats..

• Middle aged bloke couple of rows behind us spent the entirety of the first half asleep, head lolling all over the place, then didn't reappear second half. Probably had his liquid lunch a bit too early. Sweary knobs directly behind us spent all their time shouting about paedos and c*nts and finding themselves highly amusing but left as soon as the second goal went in. Loyal supporters obviously.

• Took me a while gettin in, but thankfully got in.

Was in block 109 row 26 but couldn't sit in the seats as everyone was standing and the kids couldn't see.

• Whilst we are on the strange topic. I had a guy in front of me who spent 90 minutes stood up, staring at the Sunderland fans (20 or 30m away) and performing a series of hand gestures and mouthing obscenities. I don't think he watch a single minute of the game.\

And I think there would be very little chance that a single Sunderland fan could see his actions.

When I get home and the good lady her in doors says 'how was the game?' I can recount specifici highs and lows of the match. This guy can share with his loved ones (maybe not) how he is a top class mime artist in a very specific art form.

Strange!!

• If we're honest they had about enough tickets for people who genuinely go to games (maybe not all games but occasionally and big games) , an equivalent for us would be maybe 12 or 15,000, hopefully there's some who will stay with us out of the 10k or so that only came for the occasion but there will have been a few people along who didn't really care, wouldn't have known the songs, maybe up for a bit of agro or not entirely supportive, to be expected really, we get some of the ticket money if nothing else.

• The swathes of "fans" who left when the 2nd went in can bore right off.

Probably done their once a decade game.

• I had a season ticket regular next to.me who spent the whole game shouting at Stockdale to get back in his goal.

He left when the second goal went in too

• edited May 2022

I was sat in block 213 row 10 & had a couple behind me who apparently are regular followers who spent pretty much the whole game slagging off everyone - our players (useless & not worth their wages), their players (apparently all time-wasting, diving, cheating c***s), the ref (a blind, bald bastard), their fans (northern muppets & worse) as well as calling for VAR. The couple next to me knew them but said they thankfully didnt see them that often as they couldnt put up with it at every game.

Late in the second half security somehow let a couple of rogue Mackems wander into the back of the next block, from the Tier 3 boxes which as you can imagine caused some friction to say the least.

• I suppose out of 23,000 you'll always get a decent set of wronguns.

• It was a very strange day all round. I had anticipated a train up full of light dark blue singing banner waving building to a euphoric stadium atmos!

The train was like an outing to a Primark flash sale, how hard is it to find something blue in one’s wardrobe? No singing just a bunch of bewildered families looking embarrassed they missed a connection for Luton airport.

And the walk up to the stadium wasn’t much better, felt like the ‘day trippers’ were some how intimated by the passion and numbers of Sunderland fans. Which continued into the ground.

The team might not of shown up, not really sure the fans did either.

• Never forget a game on the terrace at Adams Park years ago, when we scored and an old couple in front of me hardly celebrated and then just moaned about the oppositions poor defending. What is the point, save your money and stay at home.

• I too found the atmosphere in our end very underwhelming.

In block 114 the only chant i could hear from us all game was "wanderers".

I suppose the problem is that in seated stadia, people who want to sing are dotted all over the place, i was in a row where not 1 other person was a singer - i noticed that before kick off whilst stood on my chair with my flag round me belting out "chairboys" on my own !!!!

I noticed as well apart from 1 young chap with a foam hand,1 chap in front in a wwfc polo top and me, my row and the row behind and the row infront out of about 40 people no one else was wearing any kind of wwfc at all .

Contrast that with the sunderland end.

• Maybe they were opposition fans who wanted to watch the game on a terrace? I know of a few Wycombe fans who do the same when we are forced into seated areas when home fans have standing options.

• edited May 2022

Lots of it about, remember a horrible couple of goons in front of me giving everyone stick just before Eze banged in two worldies at Cambridge and then applauding everyone off the pitch and trying to kiss up to all the players as they came round to applaud the fans.

There was a Southend away game a while ago where I answered a young hungover fans question about the train before he sat down, slept most of the journey in between bouts of throwing up on the floor. Was most surprised to see him at the end of the game lively as anything screaming abuse at the opposition.

Some think they're entitled to slag everyone off constantly and this somehow helps, some are only out for a day on the piss. One man's well behaved is another man's dull I suppose.

I'd imagined a bit of a siege mentality yesterday being in the minority like the scenes at MK but in the end the extra numbers diluted the support a bit, looked lively directly behind the goal, was pretty quiet more centrally.

• Nope definitely wycombe, like erroll_sims mentioned previously, those "fans" that for some reason only see the negative in literally everything, even their own players.

• I personally do not wear tees. polos or football shirts, my normal attire is sta-prest, check shirt, harrington or flight jacket & pork pie hat

For the game yesterday, I dug out my light blue/dark blue check suit, an appropriate check shirt & my dark blue pork pie hat so I xould show my allegiance to my team (in my own individual style)

• Sadly, some people of all ages just want to drink heavily and fight. We were spared swearing but there was a minor altercation about standing. On my few away jaunts I have noted 'real fans' who seem to have no interest in the actual game but seem willing to spend a lot of money travelling and drinking.

• There are u fortunately quite a lot of @trevor's within our "supporters".

• 1000s of tickets weren't scanning around 1.15 but they got it fixed by about 1.45, was an issue with the system rather than the tickets.

• I heard about some fighting right in front of a wycombe hospitality box and security were called in. Can anybody shed more light on this? I know of families who moved their kids when this happened.

• As I said 2 random Mackems appeared at the back of block 212/211 (in front of the Tier 3 hospitality boxes)around about the time they scored their second, it understandably lead to an altercation and a lot of rubber necking and raised voices, there may have been a couple of punches thrown but I only saw bits of the aftermath as I was trying to watch the game.

• But it would be strange had they not celebrated. Why should they get in trouble for doing that?

• Because they shouldn't have been in the Wycombe end?

• edited May 2022

The idea of segregation at games must really baffle you.

• Well all was ok up the back of block 109. Decent friendly atmosphere.

Rest of the ground sounds like Hades!

• 109 was decent until I stumbled and dropped my falafel everywhere (yes, I'm a millennial)