Skip to content

Sunderland 6 Wycombe 4

13»

Comments

• Technical point but is Wing signed up until end of May or just end of the regular season?

• @WanderingDays said:

@bluenotes said:
    I don't hate O'Nien, I just don't rate him as any better now than when he left us as a League 2 player. He was 23 then, he is 27 now. He should be at the top of his game. If he returned to us he would be fifth choice behind Thompson, Gape, Scowen and Wing.

Compare his development with that of Thompson over the same period. O'Nien is still a little boy in a mans game.

As for the play-off final, what makes Sunderland such big favourites? Over 46 games they finished one place, and one point above us.

I rate and like all of those four Wycombe players you just mentioned, but it is laughable and one-eyed to say that O'Nien would be 5th choice if he returned. I would put only Scowen ahead of him if we were ranking those five players

1. Scowen
    2. O'Nien
    3. Gape
    4. Wing
    5. Thompson

What on earth makes you put O Nien above Wing out of interest?
    Wing has played over 100 games in the championship, across 2 teams, whereas O Nien has never been close.

• These interlopers like @Scallywag joining our chats is good practice for the big day. Just like JJ did with his ‘who me?’ at MK let’s just smile and wave smile and wave by not engaging we just leave them nowhere to go with their feeble attempts at wind up. We can enjoy the day out with zero pressure, they will be choking with fear at yet another underachieving season. Imagine, even IF they win they will still not be up in the league their miss guided entitlement believes they should be in.
    Oh and as for visiting The Gasroom, this is our house our rules?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Technical point but is Wing signed up until end of May or just end of the regular season?

Not just technical. I’d like to see him sign a new contract but I guess he won’t be signing another one until he knows what division we’ll be in. Subject to confirmation, I think most contracts expire in June - probably 30 June.

• If we're ranking O9 with our centre miss it's a hair between all of them except Scowen out front IMO.

6 weeks ago I would have had Gape a clear 5th, but he's thankfully regained his form, and tbh I think form is all that separates him, Thompson, Wing and O9

• I think Wing is an altogether different style of midfielder - has time on the ball, can pick the odd killer pass and capable of scoring a few screamers from outside the box in the course of a season.

• We don't need 09 any more, at all. I am not clutching my pearls over him being a naughty boy, but we have moved on. He is a L2 Wycombe legend, but how much we have achieved without him dims his star a little bit.

• @micra said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Technical point but is Wing signed up until end of May or just end of the regular season?

Not just technical. I’d like to see him sign a new contract but I guess he won’t be signing another one until he knows what division we’ll be in. Subject to confirmation, I think most contracts expire in June - probably 30 June.

He might be waiting to see if he plays at all or what other offers he gets before he commits but you'd like to think if he played in the semis he's good for the final at least. Could be handy way beyond that.

• @Malone said:

@WanderingDays said:

@bluenotes said:
    I don't hate O'Nien, I just don't rate him as any better now than when he left us as a League 2 player. He was 23 then, he is 27 now. He should be at the top of his game. If he returned to us he would be fifth choice behind Thompson, Gape, Scowen and Wing.

Compare his development with that of Thompson over the same period. O'Nien is still a little boy in a mans game.

As for the play-off final, what makes Sunderland such big favourites? Over 46 games they finished one place, and one point above us.

I rate and like all of those four Wycombe players you just mentioned, but it is laughable and one-eyed to say that O'Nien would be 5th choice if he returned. I would put only Scowen ahead of him if we were ranking those five players

1. Scowen
    2. O'Nien
    3. Gape
    4. Wing
    5. Thompson

What on earth makes you put O Nien above Wing out of interest?
    Wing has played over 100 games in the championship, across 2 teams, whereas O Nien has never been close.

I guess I just haven't seen very much of Wing, and I really highly rate the three I've put above him. I have been impressed when I have seen Wing play though

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    May god forgive you for putting Curtis at 5.

Just an opinion. Scowen is clearly first, and I've always rated Gape and O'Nien over Thompson (but only just). As others have said, there's not much in it. I think he's maybe slightly more prone to silly mistakes and brain-fades than the rest of them

• edited May 2022

Gape in this last 6 games is definitely competitive against Thompson.
    But maybe the latter being out for so long has made a few people forget his top level which is really good.

• Poundland Geordies

• @Malone said:
    Gape in this last 6 games is definitely competitive against Thompson.
    But maybe the latter being out for so long has made a few people forget his top level which is really good.

A fit and in form Tommo is very classy, defensively and creatively and it will be very welcome when he is back.

• For what it is worth I just don't think Luke looks happy on the pitch. I thought the same with Josh Scowen until this season.

• We are looking forward to this game whereas we did not enjoy MK away (until the 95th minute!)

It’s a free hit and we can play with freedom.

• 15 page thread alert of Sunderland fans writing about how tinpot and unworthy of their attention we are. Almost thought I was on an Oxford forum thread there!

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe-fans-opinions-of-safc.1578567/

To be honest, I love all this. Fan bases calling each other out, posturing and whatnot. Gives a little more spice to the final.

• It's impossible to call in a one off game. We've also played lots of times at Wembley recently, for some players this will be their 3rd Wycombe playoff final.

Sunderland are bigger and better and we're just the underdog. Sunderland's long awaited return to Championship vs Akinfenwa's Last dance - Beauty vs The Beast.

At the very least, our fans will enjoy the occasion and know that our team will put in maximum effort, win, lose or draw. We have nothing to lose, because if we can't beat you, we can live with the fact that we simply weren't good enough :-)

• Excellently put @Rambo16 and I liked 'Beauty vs The Beast'! Sunderland have Wembley Playoff Final experience from 2019 (and a massive history).

• @Rambo16 said:
    for some players this will be their 3rd Wycombe playoff final.

Only JJ

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Rambo16 said:

Only JJ

Who scores every time lets not forget...

• @wycwyc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Rambo16 said:

Only JJ

It was an OG in 2015!

• @Micra. Yep - I had scrolled too far down to remember his exact 'handle'.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@wycwyc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Rambo16 said:

Only JJ

It was an OG in 2015!

Was it? Can’t remember! I don’t tend to leave Wembley defeats in the memory for too long!

• @username123 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@wycwyc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Rambo16 said:

Only JJ

It was an OG in 2015!

Was it? Can’t remember! I don’t tend to leave Wembley defeats in the memory for too long!

Crossbar -> goalkeeper -> in

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@username123 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@wycwyc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Rambo16 said:

Only JJ

It was an OG in 2015!

Crossbar -> goalkeeper -> in

Cheers, it’s falling into place now!

• This JJ "who, me?" corner thing. He did exactly the same at Burton. Strolled slowly over towards the Burton fans to take it, got the dog's abuse, did the "who, me" smiling pantomime repertoire, but the ref then came across and intervened, seemingly pointing to his sleeve to indicate that as captain, he should really know better than to goad the opposition. Spoilsport.

If memory serves, something similar happened at Cheltenham when they were giving him shit and he lobbed in a corner that Vokes scored from.

He hates the Franchise too...