Skip to content

Sunderland 6 Wycombe 4

Comments

• This one is so bright, he signed up with his real email address. If anyone wants to sign him up for some spam, lemme know.

• What I most want to know about Sunderland is where you can get the cheesy chips for a quid.

• Reckon yous will sell the car park out at Wembley lads?

• @drcongo said:
    This one is so bright, he signed up with his real email address. If anyone wants to sign him up for some spam, lemme know.

Don’t be like that hun x

• edited May 2022

@OxfordBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    09 is a niggly 100% player who gives his all. He did for us...he does for them. He did well for us and we got money for him. He's no more of a shit now than he was before.

100%. The grief 09 is getting on here is hilarious. We loved him when he did all this shit in a Wycombe shirt, now he's a bellend because he does it in red and white stripes?

It's almost like we support someone playing for us, and don't support them when against us. We used to celebrate goals he scored for us too!
    I'm flabbergasted!> @Scallywag said:

Safc fan here, I’m confident. Mainly because we are class and yous are shite. have a good day all.

I relish adding you to the below list

Oxford fan moaning to me on the way out of their ground at our "antics".
    Wimbledon fan moaning to me about a "league 2 game" and how we had "no chance" of getting into the play offs.
    MK fan upon leaving the ground Thursday, "no chance" in the final.

The idea of you having another season at league 1, paying players 15-20k a week doesn't half warm the collective cockles.> @ReturnToSenda said:

It's going to pens btw

Guaranteed to be done by 60mins then.

• @Scallywag said:
    Reckon yous will sell the car park out at Wembley lads?

It's "you" you dozy twonker.

• @Scallywag said:
    Reckon yous will sell the car park out at Wembley lads?

Doubt it. 20 mins on the train. Enjoy the traffic.

• edited May 2022

@Safc_in_peace said:
    It is true that we are confident, as you will be. Any team getting to the play off finals on the back of a good run, 14 unbeaten for us and I think you had a similar run up to the second leg defeat at MK Dons. So don’t knock us for being confident.

As I said in my first post we are a different team under Alex Neil. We can defend! Under Johnson we could play some really good attacking football but it was more we score one more than you stuff. That falls apart when you have a bad day like the one we had at Bolton 6-0 was never acceptable and it had been coming as the defending had got worse and the defenders were short of confidence because they had no cover in front of them.

The way we play now has taken a few pointers from your style, we are getting better at the ugly side of the game , stopping other teams from playing their game. This has been less attractive but much more effective.

The three signings made in the window have all had a positive effect on the team, once they were fit and bedded in. Batth has added strength and height at the back, which will be key against a team like yourselves who are very good at getting in crosses and corners and winning headers. Both Roberts and Clarke took some time to settle, but now that they have they are causing problems in every game, the wide spaces at Wembley should help them as well.

So our style of play and the strength of character to keep going and score important late goals are the big changes since the 3-3, what has changed in you set up since then, you have obviously been done the right things to have the run you have had?

'Reasons to be cheerful'.

Signed Wing late in January.
    Reverted to 4 at the back.
    Slightly less direct football. More intricacy.
    Tafazolli and Stewart back to full fitness.
    Core players hitting fantastic form: Vokes, Scowen, Gape, Tafa, Stewart, Stockdale.
    Beaten surrounding teams: Plymouth, Sheff Wed and MK (over two legs).
    Only conceded six in 14.
    Only 'lost' one in 14 (the MK second leg, which was still enough to win on aggregate).

Our only gripe is that Thompson, Mehmeti and Hanlan are all likely to miss through injury. All excellent players.

• I don't hate O'Nien, I just don't rate him as any better now than when he left us as a League 2 player. He was 23 then, he is 27 now. He should be at the top of his game. If he returned to us he would be fifth choice behind Thompson, Gape, Scowen and Wing.

Compare his development with that of Thompson over the same period. O'Nien is still a little boy in a mans game.

As for the play-off final, what makes Sunderland such big favourites? Over 46 games they finished one place, and one point above us.

• What's their PPG under Alex Neil?

• I'm not even going to acknowledge the arrival of our 2nd guest, but the 'in peace' guy deserves an answer which @frequentstander has eloquently provided. Add Horgan to the list of core players hitting fantastic form.

It's interesting (and would appear to be true) that Sunderland's uptick in form has co-incided with a style change more in keeping with our own. Yet 'in peace' is the only one I've seen who has acknowledged this sincerest of forms of flattery by Sunderland AFC.

We had some big players missing up there in August (McCleary, McCarthy, Gape, Stewart), and it was 9 months ago, so has little bearing on the final. We are both defensively tighter now than the 3-3 in January.

Can't call it.

• @drcongo said:
    What's their PPG under Alex Neil?

2 (if we imagine points for the play-offs)

• Thanks, just wanted to give them some hope to cling on to.

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    09 is a niggly 100% player who gives his all. He did for us...he does for them. He did well for us and we got money for him. He's no more of a shit now than he was before.

100%. The grief 09 is getting on here is hilarious. We loved him when he did all this shit in a Wycombe shirt, now he's a bellend because he does it in red and white stripes?

It's almost like we support someone playing for us, and don't support them when against us. We used to celebrate goals he scored for us too!

I'm not suggesting we all cheer for 09 at Wembley, and go out and buy shirts with his name on the back.

But attacking his personal character is not just uncalled for but makes no sense, given he was exactly the same lad when he pulled on a Wycombe shirt.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I'm not even going to acknowledge the arrival of our 2nd guest, but the 'in peace' guy deserves an answer which @frequentstander has eloquently provided. Add Horgan to the list of core players hitting fantastic form.

It's interesting (and would appear to be true) that Sunderland's uptick in form has co-incided with a style change more in keeping with our own. Yet 'in peace' is the only one I've seen who has acknowledged this sincerest of forms of flattery by Sunderland AFC.

We had some big players missing up there in August (McCleary, McCarthy, Gape, Stewart), and it was 9 months ago, so has little bearing on the final. We are both defensively tighter now than the 3-3 in January.

Can't call it.

Neither can I (and I’m not one to boast but I must be in serious contention for the King of Predictions crown) ! ??.

By ‘in peace’ I’m guessing you’re referring to @Safc_in_peace ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's going to pens btw

This is a relief thanks - I would have been a nervous wreck!

• A few years ago, when I was driving around the country as a sales rep, I visited the North East on some occasions. I found Newcastle to be an interesting and vibrant city, full of great pubs and restaurants, and great people. Sunderland was more like an inferior Pound Shop version.

On one trip, I had arranged to meet my contact outside the Stadium of Light, on a non-matchday. I asked him why they gave the stadium that name, as it never seems to get fully light that far north.

As for the new poster @Scallywag and his/her poor attempts at a windup, he/she should scuttle off back to the RTG forum, thereby raising the average IQ of both forums.

• I'm good friends with some Sunderland lads, all good people. Inevitably there will be plenty of nonsense over the next couple of weeks, such is the internet. Too close to call for me, it will take a piece of brilliance or a moment of madness. Football eh.

• Before the Darius game, one of them insisted on buying me a pint then buggered off and I never saw him again. What a hero.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:
    What's their PPG under Alex Neil?

2 (if we imagine points for the play-offs)

... for which their PPG was 2, no? So not only does the inclusion of the play-offs leave their PPG unchanged, but we can also assume that their uninspiring play-off performance was a perfect representation of their form under Neil. We've got this.

• edited May 2022

I'm sure they will point out the difference that they were in charge of both decisions releasing Josh and meeting our price for Luke, mostly as they are rolling in it and desperately try over and over to successfully regenerate the awful squad that were crying on Netflix. I think 09 plays a bit deeper for them than he did for us so probably gets involved a bit more in the Argy bargy but one of my last memories of him was throwing himself to the floor against a non league club in pre-season.
    They are obviously a very good, strong, in form team. With a few days rest and a bit of luck from the injury god's we aren't too shabby ourselves.

• @bluenotes said:
    I don't hate O'Nien, I just don't rate him as any better now than when he left us as a League 2 player. He was 23 then, he is 27 now. He should be at the top of his game. If he returned to us he would be fifth choice behind Thompson, Gape, Scowen and Wing.

Compare his development with that of Thompson over the same period. O'Nien is still a little boy in a mans game.

As for the play-off final, what makes Sunderland such big favourites? Over 46 games they finished one place, and one point above us.

I rate and like all of those four Wycombe players you just mentioned, but it is laughable and one-eyed to say that O'Nien would be 5th choice if he returned. I would put only Scowen ahead of him if we were ranking those five players

1. Scowen
    2. O'Nien
    3. Gape
    4. Wing
    5. Thompson
  • May god forgive you for putting Curtis at 5.

• @micra said:
    RTG @bargepole ?

The Sunderland fans' forum: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/

• Couldn't disagree more @WanderingDays.

• Will we be allowed to celebrate like we've won the play-offs if we win? Tinpot club that we are.

• @Scallywag said:
    Safc fan here, I’m confident. Mainly because we are class and yous are shite. have a good day all.

We lose our lads get a standing ovation (standing up clapping)
    Yous lose oh not again yous a fooking laughing stock .

P.s do you really get cheesey chips for a quid

• I like O'Nien but once everyone is fit midfield is not necessarily where we need strengthening.

• @drcongo said:
    Couldn't disagree more @WanderingDays.

Indeed, Gape and Wing are much better footballers I think and Dom has been immense since he came back in...Thompson is also a more skilled 'stopper' than 09 was/is.