Skip to content

Man of the Match - MK

It feels a bit silly to put any attacking players in, but here goes...

Poll not found

Comments

• Stockdale easy first (wow, Sky MotM got it right). Second: JJ. But everyone played their part.

• How anyone can vote other than Stockdale is beyond me.

• I went JJ, partly for that absurd tackle, but also because he was bloody good. Gape and Scowen must be absolutely knackered.

• I only came to got to vote for Mehmeti @shev!

• I went for Stocko, but frankly the back 4 plus Obita, Gape & Scowen ran him a close second

• Stocko. Inspired.

• Stewart was absolutely immense all night but has to be that man Stocko - a goalkeeping performance for the ages.

• JJ for the tackle but...football! bloody hell!

• Anthony Stewart loves the playoffs, defended like a lion.

• @floyd said:
      I only came to got to vote for Mehmeti @shev!

I happen to get it right on a day GMac has no hope of a vote!

• Hopefully we'll be able to to vote for Anis after our next game.

• Stockdale, obviously.

I thought the core spine of Stewart, Taf, Dom & Scowen were excellent though. The rest not so much.

• Whilst not an attacking threat tonight everyone played their part - we won the tie as a team

• @PJS said:
      Whilst not an attacking threat tonight everyone played their part - we won the tie as a team

Agreed. They did what they needed to do so no criticism intended!

• JJ's tackle was worth a goal, but then so we're several of Stockdale saves so easy in the end.

• edited May 2022

I went for Stewart, but Stocky or JJ are fine picks too.

I did have an Arsenal-supporting friend watching, and he may have swayed me by calling Sir Anthony of Stewartshire "immense"...

• Stocko for sure, closely followed by Tools for me.
      Great tackle by JJ but apart from that I didn't think he had the best of games.

• @floyd said:
      Hopefully we'll be able to to vote for Anis after our next game.

Stopped the car yesterday to let Anis, Hanlon and Young cross the road (loved the thought they’d shared lifts). Anis had a pronounced limp, the other two seemed fine

• Voted Stocko, been brilliant all year too.

Stewart was immense 2nd half too.

• @53cheese said:

@floyd said:
      Hopefully we'll be able to to vote for Anis after our next game.

Stopped the car yesterday to let Anis, Hanlon and Young cross the road (loved the thought they’d shared lifts). Anis had a pronounced limp, the other two seemed fine

Dark arts!

• Not sure "cos we ranking high in them tings" is a great advert for university education

• I voted Stewart, but very nearly Stocko

JJ had a torrid first half, but he was moved away from Corbeanu at HT and then produced an imperious defensive performance for the rest of the game

• Those pass / pass accuracy / 10+ pass sequence stats are pointless though, aren't they. Anyone can have a high pass success rate if they're knocking between the defence for 5 minutes thinking about an opening. It's not pretty football, it's pointless football.

Taf's 'pass' to Vokes on Thursday was the most important pass of the game. 4 times out of 5 it might not hit its target but when it does, it wins matches.

I wonder if Jamie Mackie is still scowling into his supper of sour grapes and bitterness.

• @MindlessDrugHoover It's only pointless football in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to coach it effectively - which doesn't apply to Liam Manning, who will go onto much bigger things.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
      Those pass / pass accuracy / 10+ pass sequence stats are pointless though, aren't they. Anyone can have a high pass success rate if they're knocking between the defence for 5 minutes thinking about an opening. It's not pretty football, it's pointless football.

Taf's 'pass' to Vokes on Thursday was the most important pass of the game. 4 times out of 5 it might not hit its target but when it does, it wins matches.

I wonder if Jamie Mackie is still scowling into his supper of sour grapes and bitterness.

You are absolutely spot on with these comments. The modern thinking is that possession and pass accuracy are more important than anything else. It’s only important if it’s effective and even then I’m not aware of the law that states you’re not allowed to pass beyond a maximum distance of 10 yards:

• @glasshalffull said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
      Those pass / pass accuracy / 10+ pass sequence stats are pointless though, aren't they. Anyone can have a high pass success rate if they're knocking between the defence for 5 minutes thinking about an opening. It's not pretty football, it's pointless football.

You are absolutely spot on with these comments. The modern thinking is that possession and pass accuracy are more important than anything else. It’s only important if it’s effective and even then I’m not aware of the law that states you’re not allowed to pass beyond a maximum distance of 10 yards:

Gaz and Dobbo are far more analytical than most of our fans, let alone the general twitter noise, would see. The stats do describe styles, they would have been useful for us to prepare and it's not doing any harm informing spectators in context.
      The problem I had with much of the Sky coverage was the need to frame a story at the outset and paint MK as some kind of crusading heroes. They seemed to be absolutely gutted when we heroically held out. It's also why they are taking a lot of stick around Liverpool/City.
      Mackie trying to make out he's some kind of purist was hilarious, he spent the tail end of his career barging in to people, whining and trying to get people sent off, seem to recall it working once on Bayo due to some abject refereeing.

• edited May 2022

And of course we have every single official ( league and now play-offs) in our pocket refusing to see the evidence of our wrong-doing before their very eyes. I am sure every fan forum is repeating some form of 'I hope they go up so we won't have to play them again'

• edited May 2022

Mackie trying to make out he's some kind of purist was hilarious, he spent the tail end of his career barging in to people, whining and trying to get people sent off, seem to recall it working once on Bayo due to some abject refereeing.

Mackie spent his whole career doing that, just scored and contributed to less and less goals as he got older!

• Just watched the opening and Mackie’s dislike of Wycombe is all too obvious. Not a single word of praise, just bitter criticism.