Skip to content

Man of the Match - Plymouth

2»

Comments

• edited April 2022

@eric_plant said:
    McCleary seems obvious for his goals, but take those away and he still mesmerised Plymouth for the best part of 90 minutes

He is levels above almost every player we've ever had and we have lived through a blessed era indeed to watch him play for Wycombe.

The above can be applied to Vokes as well.

You have absolutely nailed it @eric_plant. These two are by far the best players I have ever seen at Wycombe. I know several Wycombe players have gone on to great things but Vokes and McCleary are playing at another level to this division. Amazing signings and thanks to the Couhigs, Gaz and Dobbo.

• Plymouth were without a couple of regulars today but we were without three, one of whom (Mehmeti) apparently terrorised them at Home Park. Hope Wing and Mehmeti will be available for the Grande Finale on 30 April. Three wins (or even two wins and a draw) should see us into the playoffs.

• @micra said:
    Plymouth were without a couple of regulars today but we were without three, one of whom (Mehmeti) apparently terrorised them at Home Park. Hope Wing and Mehmeti will be available for the Grande Finale on 30 April. Three wins (or even two wins and a draw) should see us into the playoffs.

I think I saw Mehmeti with a leg brace on fingers crossed he will be back quickly

• The fact that despite some important missing pieces, we could do that to a play-off rival is heartening.

• Mehmeti is brilliant but so is Hanlan. I don't think it significantly weakens us either way depending on who starts.

And as much as I like Wing, I do like the control playing Scowen plus Gape/Thompson gives us. I thought it yesterday and I thought it after that Oxford game.

It's a great position to be in. Anis Mehmeti has been incredible lately but Hanlan is such a good player that he might not come straight back into the side when he's fit.

• GMac for that extra quality. The strike for his 1st was top class.

A top team performance

Stocko had very little to do
    Taf, JJ, Scowen and Vokes were superb
    All the rest had good games also but special praise to Gape for coming in, having missed so much of the season, to play like he did.
    Hanlan looks a far better player on the wing and that was a fantastic assist for the second goal

Finally I thought the atmosphere was excellent on the terrace. It only went quiet when at times we were quite obviously beating Plymouth easily

• Add my support for Dom Gape, a great come back game and huge work rate. Wycombe midfield was quite small but Plymouth weren’t exactly giants so no worries. I think Horgan and Gape won a few headers yesterday.

• Gape is really good at flying headers and punching above his weight(height?) for leaping.

Otherwise you might wonder about 2 centre mids of 5ft 5 or whatever they are!

• The way he wins those battles reminds me of Jack Large from Blackadder

• Alfie Mawson was at the game yesterday....

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Alfie Mawson was at the game yesterday....

Did you see him? Cause there was some nonsense going around on Twitter.

• I hesitate to add to the nonsense but I heard the same from a Fulham supporting mate, usually well-informed, yesterday. Only if we go up surely?

• Rumours saying he has signed a pre contact from Jan.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Rumours saying he has signed a pre contact from Jan.

With us? You can't sign a pre contract with a team in the same country can you?

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Correct but you can within a month of your contract expiring. You can't tell me it doesn't happen despite the rule.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Correct but you can within a month of your contract expiring. You can't tell me it doesn't happen despite the rule.

I'm sure numbers and arrangements are put in place for certain.
    But it can't be done legally, so it's not legally binding.

Mawson would be great in theory, but he's barely played in 2 years, so comes with some level of risk.

• I thought it was a Gasroom fact that we couldn't afford another year of Vokes so surprised to hear Mawson has them opening the checkbook.?

• Looks like he signed a 4 year deal in summer 2018, so could be a case that he'll be earning zero, so our offer will be perfectly fine.

We will see.

Depends if the rumours are from the same team that created the Revs-gate Taf and Stewart one.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Mawson would be great in theory, but he's barely played in 2 years, so comes with some level of risk.

A talented player whose career hasn’t panned out the way he hoped sounds right in our wheelhouse. I still don’t believe it tho.

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

A talented player whose career hasn’t panned out the way he hoped sounds right in our wheelhouse. I still don’t believe it tho.

I don't believe anyone that spells "though" as "tho"

• I reckon a chance of Pierre coming back, benched of late I understand. Mawson has barely played in 2 yrs and also have a pretty well informed Fulham mate who can’t wait to be shot of him due to injuries. However, let’s not forget he has family in Uxbridge area and it’s Easter time, plus the Bloomfield factor too.

• edited April 2022

@username123 said:
    I reckon a chance of Pierre coming back, benched of late I understand. Mawson has barely played in 2 yrs and also have a pretty well informed Fulham mate who can’t wait to be shot of him due to injuries. However, let’s not forget he has family in Uxbridge area and it’s Easter time, plus the Bloomfield factor too.

I loved having Pierre here, and it's probably an unpopular opinion, but preferred him to Stewart.
    But that was then, and Stewart has stepped up since then, and if Pierre isn't getting into a team that play 3 centre backs in mid league 1, then I'm not sure he's getting into a top league 1 team with championship aspirations, and certainly isn't keeping Taf or Stewart out, let alone with Forino stepping up.

Mawson though, if he's anything close to what he was, or became afterwards, gets in over all of them though. But we'll see.

• @username123 said:
    I reckon a chance of Pierre coming back, benched of late I understand. Mawson has barely played in 2 yrs and also have a pretty well informed Fulham mate who can’t wait to be shot of him due to injuries. However, let’s not forget he has family in Uxbridge area and it’s Easter time, plus the Bloomfield factor too.

Unless they have moved recently Mawsons parents live on the edge of Wokingham near Winnersh. Interestingly they live very close to Rob Dickies family who now plays for QPR.

Ainsworth lives no more than 10 mins away.

• @wwfcblue said:

@username123 said:

Unless they have moved recently Mawsons parents live on the edge of Wokingham near Winnersh. Interestingly they live very close to Rob Dickies family who now plays for QPR.

Ainsworth lives no more than 10 mins away.

Fair enough certainly grew up just down the a40 though ?

• His Dad had a fruit and veg stall on Ealing Broadway

• My old man lived by the a40. Oh boa mortey

• I have a funny feeling we will be seeing Alfie Mawson in a Wycombe shirt next season

Hope I am right

• @DJWYC14 said:
    I have a funny feeling we will be seeing Alfie Mawson in a Wycombe shirt next season

Hope I am right

I hope you're right too.

Everyone loves signing a favourite old boy, and he has to be the best one still playing out there.