Skip to content

Man of the Match - Plymouth

Great performance.

Poll not found

Comments

• The whole team were great.

Stand outs were Scowen, another immense shift in midfield, Forino & Taffs totally solid at the back, but this week Im going for GMac who was a class apart up front.

• A tough choice between Forino and Gmac but i gave it to the latter just for his stunning first goal.

• I'd have said Gape deserves a mention in despatches. To be out for so long and come back in a crucial game and just do the basics effectively - I counted 2x mis-placed passes - was excellent. Maybe carried by Scowen's phenomenal stamina but I feared Gape would be off the mark.
      Finally McCleary for me, back close to his best and 2 clinical finishes.

• On the bus back to the station and the sourness of the Plymouth grapes is a joy

• Has to be McLeary, but Forino and Hanlan had faultless games.

• Only one vote so far for fabulous Forino. (Easy for me to say !)

• @mooneyman said:
      Has to be McLeary, but Forino and Hanlan had faultless games.

Not sure about that with Forino. Early on he looked a little ropey, turned inside out a couple of times, lunged in and left in no man's land, and caught on the half way line when they broke.
      Went down a couple of times, and wondered if he'd got a niggle, that might see him off at half time.
      Much better in the second half though and glad to see he came through.

• @OakwoodExile said:
      On the bus back to the station and the sourness of the Plymouth grapes is a joy

@OakwoodExile said:
      On the bus back to the station and the sourness of the Plymouth grapes is a joy

Said to my mate that it was slightly annoying Stockdale was overdoing the time wasting, as the Plymouth fans will be on about that, as opposed to the real story - being comfortably seen off by us.

• I wouldn’t say Forino was faultless by any means today, and I say that as someone who’s given him MotM before. But hey.

I’ve tried to be fair in recent weeks and spread the plaudits between the midfield and defence, not just, “give it to the guy who scored”, but hard to see past McCleary today.

• God this is so difficult so often. I went Gmac for the goals and his constant running but I thought Hanlan, Scowen, Taffs and Forino as well as the usual Vokes were all really on the ball today! My only bugbear today was the timewasting...it may play well with the terrace but I think we're better than that.

• I think the 3 best performers today are arguably the 3 who should be in for the player of the season vote.

McCleary, Vokes and Scowen.

They're definitely the 3 I'd most be concerned at being out.

• On that subject how close to a suspension is Scowen?

• @bookertease said:
      On that subject how close to a suspension is Scowen?

Well he'd need five more yellows, so he's fine!

• And they don't carry over into the play-offs

• Great team performance but I voted for Vokesey. Won everything and set up GMac for the first. They couldn’t handle him.

• Scowan for me as the song goes he was “every f ing” where but GMac was his brilliant best, Vokes did an amazing job and Forino just keeps getting better his best game

• I hate voting for the goal scorer, as it feels so “sponsor’s man of the match” but my goodness McCleary was good today. Like watching a premier league player having a field day against school kids.

• Could have been five or six MoMs today.

McCleary gets it for his first goal, a true moment of class fit to win any game. But also special mentions to Tafa (who I felt was imperious today) and Scowen (who is just an absolute machine, and a cut above this level).

• Yes McCleary scored the goals, but Scowen was incredible and covered every blade of grass, he wins it for me

• GMac…nailed on this week

• McCleary was the difference so an obvious choice today. However I voted for Taf, the guy did not put a foot wrong and so often he won challenges in the air and on the floor which simply didn’t allow them into our half. I thought he was immense. Pretty certain he gave 1 free kick away and that was it.

Mention for Gape though. Him being there meant no square pegs in round holes and we could continue with our recent style of play. He was far from his best but I don’t think any of us expect him to be but he grew into the game and got vital minutes. If we make the playoffs we can’t go into it with only Taf, Forino and Scowen. We need Gape and Stewart to be available as cover at least so it was fantastic to have Gape.

• I’d love it if Sunderland fail to make the playoffs and Scowen is our player of the season. Imagine releasing the best midfielder in League One.

• Beating Sunderland in the playoffs, ideally at Wembley would be the richest way to go up.
      But them simply missing out would be glorious too.

Such a shame they again got away with a late win today.

• Forino is a wonder find, his calmnesson the ball is fantastic. He looks to of but some muscle on too.

• There is part of me that would love to beat the Mackems out of the playoffs on goal difference. Preferably just one. ?

• Wtf calmnesson ?

• McCleary seems obvious for his goals, but take those away and he still mesmerised Plymouth for the best part of 90 minutes

He is levels above almost every player we've ever had and we have lived through a blessed era indeed to watch him play for Wycombe.

The above can be applied to Vokes as well.

• @eric_plant said:
      McCleary seems obvious for his goals, but take those away and he still mesmerised Plymouth for the best part of 90 minutes

He is levels above almost every player we've ever had and we have lived through a blessed era indeed to watch him play for Wycombe.

The above can be applied to Vokes as well.

Completely agree and on Quest they just said this is the best goal-scoring season of his career. I know it is League One but still...

• @MorrisItal_ said:
      Scowan for me as the song goes he was “every f ing” where but GMac was his brilliant best, Vokes did an amazing job and Forino just keeps getting better his best game

I agree with whoever mentioned Forino’s uncertainty at times in the first half and, following his lunge in the penalty area when he mistimed his tackle and virtually did the splits, I thought like @Malone, that he was going to have to be subbed. But he carried on, was solid under pressure in the second half, and will make it difficult for Anthony Stewart to regain his place. He and Tafazolli could become one of the best centre back pairings next season. Their height and their readiness to get forward (not just for corners and other set-pieces) are very valuable attributes.

• Sorry, meant to say that I do not agree that today was Forino’s best game but he is learning fast and will continue to improve.