Skip to content

Vokes Contract Terms

2»

Comments

• @Shev said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I do enjoy a good 'random bloke on the internet says' story. Amazes me how they get any traction at all but they do. We live in a mad world.

For every nutcase making stuff up though, there will be someone who does in fact know the ins and outs.
    I knew Bayo had signed for us a couple of days before the announcement for instance due to a tip off and I used to work with a girl whose sister is married to a famous premier league player who has managed in the same division we're in.

People do find stuff out.

Not sure about your one to one ratio on nutcases to people who know stuff. If true that answers my question.

I don't know as much stuff now as I used to but when I did I generally heard them in confidence and kept that confidence. I once knew of a Boyzone comeback a year before they announced it. Never told anyone.

Now here's a fun rabbit trail to go down! Has anyone else ever been ITK for a non-Wycombe or non-Football situation?

I spoke to the Grimsby Town manager Michael Jolley in June 2019 at an Oxford college garden party of all places. He said he was looking into signing Paris Cowan Hall and asked for my opinion on him. I told him that I rated PCH very highly, and then expected him to sign for Grimsby that summer. Didn't happen sadly, but I felt like I was ITK for a few weeks

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I was privy to many things in the football world. As mentioned above most of what I was told was "in confidence", as such sharing would have broken the trust so had to keep my cards very close to my chest. It can be a real gut buster when you read/hear of rumours that you know are so wide of the mark, but can't actually tell that person. As such, I often wondered if it was better not to know anyway?

I often think i'd love to know what the real truth is with life, the big criminal cases, how things work, and various scandals.
    But like you suggest, I dare say knowing and people not believe you, or not being able to correct people would make it an absolute nightmare.

• edited April 2022

Nothing too major for me, but an ex boss's son was best friends with a premier league footballer.
    Was just interesting hearing stories of how he bought a 10k watch and was a bit embarrassed at people realising. How he sat on their couch watching match of the day with them the evening of a tough game v Arsenal, saying how he'd not got anywhere near Fabregas. And how Jack Wilshere is, or at least was as obnoxious a character as we no doubt all imagined.