Skip to content

Pendlebury returns from his loan

2»

Comments

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Reasonable chance of Mehmeti being fit for Friday, according to Gareth.

Out for the season then.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    But I'd rather have McCleary cutting inside and have Hanlan on the right so he can be at his most blisteringly direct

Very much with you on this @ReturnToSenda. Probably because they’d spent a lot of time together (at Reading?),
    McCleary and Obita seemed earlier in the season to have an understanding bordering on the telepathic. And Hanlan’s most productive forward surges seem (from memory) to have been mainly on the right. A contra argument might be that McCleary has also been very effective recently on the right. Who’d be a manager.

Whatever permutations GA and Dobbo come up with to accommodate inevitable absences through suspension, injuries, less than optimum fitness etc, we can be sure that we’ll have a lineup well capable of winning tomorrow.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Reasonable chance of Mehmeti being fit for Friday, according to Gareth.

Out for the season then.

Sadly, I fear you’re probably right @Right_in_the_Middle. I think Mehmeti has been struggling intermittently for some time. Remember he played several games not long ago with strapping on one leg (right I think).

You won’t see too many posts with three definitions of ‘right’ in quick succession!

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Glenactico said:
    Pendlebury played two or three games at the start of the season and looked very assured. I think he scored (twice?) away at Cheltenham if I recall correctly. I’m slightly surprised we’ve not seen more of him.

By contrast I feel Gaz had great hopes for him as a ‘break through’ player yet, despite the two excellent goals at Cheltenham, he was not up to it, indeed the Cheltenham game was largely passing him by. So, the club shipped him out to toughen up in the mens game. Not sure if a lack of appearances is injury, form or potential driven? But looks to me like he is back as a bench warmer.

Gaz spoke very highly of him after the Wigan game, which followed his debut at Cheltenham. Now we've signed Jack Young I can see him being lost in the shuffle next season tho.

• Is there any player Gaz hasn't spoken highly of at some point?

• Sometimes he just stays schtum. Never negative.

• Young player who has played and scored set to depart after we sign young player who has played ten minutes. That is what you call turnover! :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:
    Young player who has played and scored set to depart after we sign young player who has played ten minutes. That is what you call turnover! :smile:

We see 80 minutes some Saturdays. Gaz, Dobbo, Blooms et al see them four / five days a week hours on end week on week. So they are probably best equipped to make the correct call.

• Sounds like I leave early. 90+x of course.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Young player who has played and scored set to depart after we sign young player who has played ten minutes. That is what you call turnover! :smile:

We see 80 minutes some Saturdays. Gaz, Dobbo, Blooms et al see them four / five days a week hours on end week on week. So they are probably best equipped to make the correct call.

But it was a Gasroomer who seemed to be suggesting he would be off @perfidious_albion not Gareth and if anyone only sees '80 minutes some Saturdays' I agree that opinion may be worth nowt. I usually see at least 95 most games.
    For all you and I know GA and Dobbo may think Penders is The Player.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    But I'd rather have McCleary cutting inside and have Hanlan on the right so he can be at his most blisteringly direct

I'm surprised a young hip guy like you doesn't weep at the idea of a wide attacker playing on his favoured foot side!
    Thought it was all about the right footer cutting in on the left these days.

• TBH, I can't see Plymouth "going for broke" Friday. They have no need, a point will be fine for them as it will keep us at arms length with only three games left. A draw isn't too much use to us so I can see them playing counter attacking football a bit like Portsmouth did when they came here. Hope I'm wrong though.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    TBH, I can't see Plymouth "going for broke" Friday. They have no need, a point will be fine for them as it will keep us at arms length with only three games left. A draw isn't too much use to us so I can see them playing counter attacking football a bit like Portsmouth did when they came here. Hope I'm wrong though.

We could get into the play offs with a draw and 3 wins I think.
    But it'd be a very stressy way of doing it if we draw the first one.

I just keep thinking about that "So Very Near" video, with us losing 1-2 v Plymouth at home late on that season, and it being the end of the Martin O Neill journey as we marginally missed the playoffs that year.

• I do not want to go to Wimbledon off the back of anything other than a win

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    TBH, I can't see Plymouth "going for broke" Friday. They have no need, a point will be fine for them as it will keep us at arms length with only three games left. A draw isn't too much use to us so I can see them playing counter attacking football a bit like Portsmouth did when they came here. Hope I'm wrong though.

I just keep thinking about that "So Very Near" video, with us losing 1-2 v Plymouth at home late on that season, and it being the end of the Martin O Neill journey as we marginally missed the playoffs that year.

You're expecting us to do it the 'non-stress,' way?

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

You're expecting us to do it the 'non-stress,' way?

I just hope it's fairly clear what'll happen over the next 2 games as I've foolishly doubled booked myself on the Sheff Wed game day.

Tantalisingly not quite ruling it out totally, but leaving the very slight chance I could get in for 20-30mins max at the end, if we're in peak time wasting/injury time first half mode!
    Would involve a long tube ride, 30min drive, mate drop off, and then either a taxi, or park half a mile and sprint in though...so will weigh that up after Monday!!

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm surprised a young hip guy like you doesn't weep at the idea of a wide attacker playing on his favoured foot side!
    Thought it was all about the right footer cutting in on the left these days.

We don't really have much choice when we don't have a left-footed attacking player in the squad (unless you stick Obita there)

• Can’t really see Plymouth tarting around hoping for a draw against us, when they entertain Sunderland on Mon, then finish with Wigan and Franchise. Yes, they may have the apparent comfort of 78pts but it’s perfectly possible that they could end the season on that. Go for broke at AP, successfully, and they break the psychological 80pt barrier and the pressure piles on to the chasing pack.