Skip to content

Pendlebury returns from his loan

Can't seem to find the definitive loan thread for this, but looks like Ollie is coming back from Woking early, which suggests Wing's red won't be appealed or rescinded and midfield injuries are an ongoing issue.

Comments

• edited April 2022

How many appearances did he even make for them?

• Excellent news.

• He made 4 appearances according to the recently updated Wiki

• Good security, as while we do have Young and Wheeler as options, we're only a Scowen missed game away from peril there.

• I'd consider a little out of the box thinking for Plymouth or Wimbledon, should we really be struggling.
    I think it's more important to not be overrun in midfield and keep it tight on Good Friday.

First hypothetical - if Stewart is fit and a big if, I'd consider playing Stewart or Forino as a holding midfielder and pushing Scowen a bit further forward.

If Stewart isn't fit, then Wheeler needs to start alongside Scowen with Forino in the back four.

Second hypothetical - if Mehmeti is out, then Obita comes in at left wing, he was brilliant in that 25 minute cameo he had up top earlier in the year.

• Stewart as a holding midfielder would be absolutely kamikaze - have you seen his passing?!

• @Commoner said:
    I'd consider a little out of the box thinking for Plymouth or Wimbledon, should we really be struggling.
    I think it's more important to not be overrun in midfield and keep it tight on Good Friday.

First hypothetical - if Stewart is fit and a big if, I'd consider playing Stewart or Forino as a holding midfielder and pushing Scowen a bit further forward.

If Stewart isn't fit, then Wheeler needs to start alongside Scowen with Forino in the back four.

Second hypothetical - if Mehmeti is out, then Obita comes in at left wing, he was brilliant in that 25 minute cameo he had up top earlier in the year.

I’d be inclined to fit round pegs in round holes

• If Stewart is still out, Wing banned and Anis out injured then I would play the same 4-2-3-1, bringing in Young for Wing and Obita for Anis and starting with the same team.

I’ve got faith in Young and Obita to play their part.

• Reasonable chance of Mehmeti being fit for Friday, according to Gareth.

• edited April 2022

Wheeler or Young alongside Scowen, probably Wheeler but keen to see more of Young

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Reasonable chance of Mehmeti being fit for Friday, according to Gareth.

???

• @Commoner said:
    I'd consider a little out of the box thinking for Plymouth or Wimbledon, should we really be struggling.

Not the time to be experimenting.
    Any of the following could slot in alongside Scowen. If they are not good enough to play then they shouldn't even be making our bench...

Mehmeti
    Horgan
    Young
    Pendlebury
    Wheeler
    McCarthy

Think I'd rather see Mehmeti in there, with either Obita or Hanlan at left wing.
    Maybe Obita to offer a bit more defensive support, and Vokes and McCleary become a two without the ball.

• edited April 2022

If Mehmeti is fit, he starts in his usual role - would be mad to meddle with that trio

• @Commoner said:

Moving Scowen, who has been phenomenal this season, out of position to shoehorn in a centre defender who has never played there would be utterly baffling behaviour.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    If Mehmeti is fit, he starts in his usual role - would be mad to meddle with that trio

I do agree to an extent, but difficult to ignore Hanlan after his recent cameo - and has generally played well for us. A little unlucky not to be a starter.

Who would you play next to Scowen?

I thought Gape was nearing a comeback...?

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I do agree to an extent, but difficult to ignore Hanlan after his recent cameo - and has generally played well for us. A little unlucky not to be a starter.

We have just signed Young on a 3 year deal, which is normally reserved for nailed on star players.

However, it might be better to keep Hanlan on the left and bring Mehmeti back deeper if fit.
    Risky though as Scowen will have even more work than usual.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Wheeler for me, but I wouldn't be surprised to Young handed his first start and he would offer more balance in that pivot

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

We have just signed Young on a 3 year deal, which is normally reserved for nailed on star players.

However, it might be better to keep Hanlan on the left and bring Mehmeti back deeper if fit.
    Risky though as Scowen will have even more work than usual.

Which brings me back to perhaps playing Obita on the left in Mehmeti's place. Can tuck in when we don't have the ball.

I think it will be Wheeler though. He is proven at this level and I'm surprised that he never REALLY kicked on at Wycombe. I always thought he was a goalscoring midfielder.

• edited April 2022

He played on one side of a front three in his prolific season at Exeter, and when he's played there for us it's effectively been as a wide target man, so he's never really had the chance to hit a purple patch

• Pendlebury played two or three games at the start of the season and looked very assured. I think he scored (twice?) away at Cheltenham if I recall correctly. I’m slightly surprised we’ve not seen more of him.

• He was still a bit off the pace out of possession and got quite easily caught on the turn - made a few slightly rash challenges as a result. Should become a very good player in time but still only 20.

• Only turned 20 in Jan actually, didn't realise he was quite that young

• I’m just going to chuck it out there that Scowen did not seem to be moving as freely in the final 20 mins against Gillingham (looked to be hamstring) and I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t play but the camp keeps quiet until lineups announced. 100% I hope I’m wrong!!

• Guaranteed Mehmeti will not be fit considering Gareth’s comments on him. Obita playing high on the left is a good shout. Either that or back into left back as we miss him in the side.

• edited April 2022

If Mehmeti's not fit then shift McCleary to LAM and bring Hanlan in at RAM - and bring Obita back in at LB in any case.

• @Glenactico said:
    Pendlebury played two or three games at the start of the season and looked very assured. I think he scored (twice?) away at Cheltenham if I recall correctly. I’m slightly surprised we’ve not seen more of him.

By contrast I feel Gaz had great hopes for him as a ‘break through’ player yet, despite the two excellent goals at Cheltenham, he was not up to it, indeed the Cheltenham game was largely passing him by. So, the club shipped him out to toughen up in the mens game. Not sure if a lack of appearances is injury, form or potential driven? But looks to me like he is back as a bench warmer.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    If Mehmeti's not fit then shift McCleary to LAM and bring Hanlan in at RAM - and bring Obita back in at LB in any case.

What's the thinking with moving both Hanlan and McCleary when Hanlan is a decent threat from the left?

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

What's the thinking with moving both Hanlan and McCleary when Hanlan is a decent threat from the left?

To accommodate the McCleary-Obita link-up, but I'm sure they'd switch during the game anyway

• But I'd rather have McCleary cutting inside and have Hanlan on the right so he can be at his most blisteringly direct

• @username123 said:
    I’m just going to chuck it out there that Scowen did not seem to be moving as freely in the final 20 mins against Gillingham (looked to be hamstring) and I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t play but the camp keeps quiet until lineups announced. 100% I hope I’m wrong!!

@username123 really hope you are wrong!!
    Hopefully the fact that our final sub was made on 83 mins suggests that he was ok