Skip to content

Wednesday debating club

2»

Comments

• Hard to forgive this who chanted 'Ainswirth out' after that

• I’ve just remembered 2-1 away at Bognor Regis to pretty much secure the Vauxhall Opel League title. That was a pretty spectacular night.

35 years ago yesterday.

• edited April 2022

One that was a sickener in my formative years was the penalty deep into the inexplicable amount of injury time that Fr*s*r Str*tt*n gave to Col U in 1999 while having seemingly set his watch to 'next goal wins'. At the time it felt like another nail in the coffin as it left us firmly rooted to the foot of the table with 13 games left, though with hindsight it just created that bit more drama to set up the redemption of Emblen's late winner at Sincil Bank.

The Bristol Rovers game was admittedly on another level, but at least we had the mother of last laughs at what turned out to be their relegation party a week later.

• In the spirit of @perfidious_albion I’ll go Tuesday 8 April 1975 about 9.20. Probably double chemistry the next day. (Much shorter journey home though). But that probably was the most emotional I can remember being with a goal scored against us. Top of the league clash away to fierce rivals Enfield and an equaliser after what seemed an eternity of injury time. I just remember being equal parts crushingly disappointed and angry (I think with the ref but can’t remember why). (The late Middlesbrough winner was equal parts disappointment but relief - I think we would have let in 3 or 4 if we’d held out to extra time. And I’d got the whole day off school next day!)

For the other side of the coin I’ll go Jason Cousins goal in extra time that put us 4-0 up against Coventry.

• Hendon’s winner, Amateur Cup Semi Final 1972 at Brentford, that the BFP claimed was offside - denying us a Wembley final against Enfield.

• The goal at Plymouth that pretty much confirmed our relegation, went home and away then and put everything into supporting the club, Moved me to tears

• @ChasHarps said:

Me and a few fellow Wanderers supporters once spent a few hours company in David Armstrong's sister in Magaluf.
    A chance remark about Wycombe, and she said she had been to Loakes Park to see her brother play for Middlesbrough. Instantly through her looks, you could see who her brother was.
    Had a great evening, constantly reminding her, that her brother had broken thousands of Bucks hearts.

“Friendly” young lady keen to make up for your pain? Or is the first paragraph not quite right?

• In company with? Not quite as enjoyable perhaps.

• A few of my pals showed varying degrees of interest. But the fact that she looked facially identical to her brother David, would have made any advancements wrong on so many levels.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Hendon’s winner, Amateur Cup Semi Final 1972 at Brentford, that the BFP claimed was offside - denying us a Wembley final against Enfield.

Was going for this one too!
    As a 12yr old I was heart broken - plus we had to drive back in a car with no front windscreen which had been shattered by a stone on the A4 on the way up. My dad wasn't best pleased that day!