Skip to content

Wednesday debating club

Is Friday's game a six pointer, a proverbial six pointer, or neither?

Do female teams concede 'emotional goals?'

Comments

• What's the most emotional you've ever been at Wycombe conceding a goal?

Got to be Bristol Rovers in the penultimate game of the "Torquay Season" for me

• I remember being quite emotional when Scott Barrett scored that last minute winner in ‘91.

• I may have been but I don’t even remember the name!

• Graham Pearce classic own goal from 30 yards at home to Alty, It played a large part in our relegation from our first season in a national league. In a midweek game at Loakes Park, Altrincham were playing at Wembley in the Trophy final a few days later. They basically didn't put a challenge in, or rarely cross the halfway line as they were making sure they didn't get injured for there big day.
    Then Mr Pearce had his moment of madness, and the feeling of helplessness set in, and was resigned to the fact, that the with the then lack of ambition from the Wanderers committee, we would be back wallowing around in the Isthmian Lge for a few more of years.
    But then arrives the God, that was Noel Ashford and the 86/87 season was one of my favourite seasons following the Wanderers.

• @Ed_ said:
    I remember being quite emotional when Scott Barrett scored that last minute winner in ‘91.

I was thinking that but it was so bizarre I think my overriding feeling was one of bafflement at how it had happened plus some annoyance that Paul Hyde had allowed it to happen.

Of course the sheer enormity and importance of that goal wasn't apparent until some time later

I think that's why the Bristol Rovers one hit so hard. It felt like the goal that sent us down and possibly out of business

• Probably late equaliser from Southend at Wembley

• Spurs' late winner at White Hart Lane would be up there

• The equaliser was bad enough

• Probably the second Liverpool goal in the semi final.

Not in a bad way but just remember thinking that the run was going to be over and would probably never experience anything like it again!

Most emotional I’ve felt at end of a game is when we went out to Cheltenham in the playoffs. Really felt for the team that day after the performance that night and the season we’d had.

• I remember telling mrs micra as Spurs equalised that I’d be seeing the mighty Spurs at Adams Park in an FA Cup replay, a comment that was met with characteristically supreme indifference.

• @LX1 said:
    Probably late equaliser from Southend at Wembley

That would probably be mine

• My own disappointment at Wembley was softened somewhat by the knowledge (or at least my understanding) that the club were not ready for promotion at the time. Quite why I wasn’t sure.

• Agree with all the above. Just to shake things up will give you one from The 1970s. Our very last Amateur cup match which was away to a very good Blyth Spartans side. With about 10 minutes ago it looked as though we were heading for a hard earned but deserved draw and a replay back at Loakes Park. The normally faultless Keith Mead Lobbed a back pass over John Maskells head and into the net. So we lost 2-1 and of course it’s a heck of a long way home!

• Not a Wycombe game but at junior school I remember getting very upset about losing a semi-final. The final was at the new Adams Park.

The following year we got to the final...played at our school field.

• @eric_plant said:
    Spurs' late winner at White Hart Lane would be up there

God! That's the one! Elation at Weston and Thommo combining for such a fantastic goal so late and then...

• @LX1 said:
    Not a Wycombe game but at junior school I remember getting very upset about losing a semi-final. The final was at the new Adams Park.

I once scored an own goal in extra time of a semi final and it was the winning goal

• I agree with @ChasHarps. I’ve got a terrible memory for goals, results, stats. I can only recall stuff where the emotion (either positive or negative) was high.

Reading your post took me straight back to Loakes Park. I can see the ball heading towards the net through the night sky when I close my eyes. I know exactly where I was stood on the Gasworks End. Probably as grim a moment as I can remember supporting Wycombe - made more so by my young age.

The season after, for me, was the start of where we are now - with a few obvious bumps along the way.

• edited April 2022

JJ in the play-off final. Actually at the game: Beany v Carlisle, was in press that day and absolutely battered the press box window (I wasn't the only one).

• well the question was about conceding a goal but if we're talking about most emotional scoring a goal then it's obviously Essandoh at Filbert St by a million miles

I look back upon that as a life-changing moment. It was absolutely overwhelming

• The goals already mentioned against Southend and Spurs, on both occasions I genuinely couldn’t take it in.

And, randomly, the late goal that knocked us out of the FA Cup in the second round at Mansfield in 03/04. I felt like all the hopelessness of that season landed on that single moment. Never a penalty either.

• Oh, JJ's OG v Spurs was the biggest sickener for me

• Scott Barrett for Col U and Southend’s equaliser at Wembley for me.

As others have mentioned, that playoff defeat at Cheltenham was hard to take after such a rollercoaster of a season and the excellent performances on the night.

• James Collins' injury time winner for Luton back in 2017 was an absolute sickener and ruined my entire week, all compounded by DDH lording it up among our players until Bayo strode towards him and he shat his pants and ran away.

• edited April 2022

@eric_plant said:

@LX1 said:
    Not a Wycombe game but at junior school I remember getting very upset about losing a semi-final. The final was at the new Adams Park.

I once scored an own goal in extra time of a semi final and it was the winning goal

Almost the same, I scored an OG in a semi final with about 5 minutes to go when we were leading, and we lost after extra time

And if I say so myself, it was a belter ! Volley in the top corner !

• The Bristol Rovers goal was different level, compounded by their pitch invasion which seemed to go on for hours. People responded differently, anger, silence, and one little old bloke was going round trying to put a mob together to go at them and getting no takers.

The Vere was eerie as well. Just people staring at the walls while Trust bods scampered around the room giving each other looks.

• @peterparrotface said:
    The Bristol Rovers goal was different level, compounded by their pitch invasion which seemed to go on for hours. People responded differently, anger, silence, and one little old bloke was going round trying to put a mob together to go at them and getting no takers.

The Vere was eerie as well. Just people staring at the walls while Trust bods scampered around the room giving each other looks.

I'm still slightly disturbed by that Rovers game.
    A girl who sits near me in the Frank Adams went absolutely mental.
    Flurry of foul swears, standing up, shaking with rage at Ainsworth and the players.

She only looks about 20 or so at max now, so as a girl of about 13 or so back then it really was a shocking thing to see. Especially sat with her dad.

My own reaction with my pal was pretending that the new non league division we'd clearly find ourselves in would be a "new experience" and maybe we could "come back up stronger", and similar lies.

• edited April 2022

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    James Collins' injury time winner for Luton back in 2017 was an absolute sickener and ruined my entire week, all compounded by DDH lording it up among our players until Bayo strode towards him and he shat his pants and ran away.

Remind me about this one. Was this the one we were actually winning with not long to go, and then lost?

I hardly ever leave early, and we're talking almost never, not even when 6-0 down v Huddersfield etc, but for some inexplicable reason I think I'd left very slightly early for this one, and heard the cheer when I was just in the carpark.

• @Malone said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    James Collins' injury time winner for Luton back in 2017 was an absolute sickener and ruined my entire week, all compounded by DDH lording it up among our players until Bayo strode towards him and he shat his pants and ran away.

Remind me about this one. Was this the one we were actually winning with not long to go, and then lost?

I hardly ever leave early, and we're talking almost never, not even when 6-0 down v Huddersfield etc, but for some inexplicable reason I think I'd left very slightly early for this one, and heard the cheer when I was just in the carpark.

Yeah, 1-0 up in the 90th minute when they equalised, then won it in the 98th minute. Horrible, horrible end to the afternoon.

• Tuesday January 7th 1975, about nine fifteen, and it was a school night with double maths the next day.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Tuesday January 7th 1975, about nine fifteen, and it was a school night with double maths the next day.

Me and a few fellow Wanderers supporters once spent a few hours company in David Armstrong's sister in Magaluf.
    A chance remark about Wycombe, and she said she had been to Loakes Park to see her brother play for Middlesbrough. Instantly through her looks, you could see who her brother was.
    Had a great evening, constantly reminding her, that her brother had broken thousands of Bucks hearts.