Skip to content

Comments

• Future Wycombe manager.

• Those players are going to learn how mango consumption can aid a relegation battle.

• Time for a hero and he's not a bad choice. I hope he keeps them up but only after losing to us!

• So pleased for Darius and I hope he does well except against us on the 18th

• "Temporary charge" would suggest that he probably won't be in charge against us on the 18th.

• There is talk that Alan Pardew is favourite for the job? can’t see Darius getting on with “we won because of my tactics” / “we lost ‘cause the players weren’t up to it”. Time to come back to AP next season?

• I don't understand how nobody mentions Pardew for ANY job, then all of a sudden....he is a favourite! What has he done in that time to warrant being the favourite?

What a story if Emma Hayes took charge and kept them up. Can see it happening.

• Sunderland fans on Twitter still seem a bit upset about the whole 'Our House' thing, bless 'em.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sunderland fans on Twitter still seem a bit upset about the whole 'Our House' thing, bless 'em.

We seem to loom very large in their legend. Have the Wombles got to play them?

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I don't understand how nobody mentions Pardew for ANY job, then all of a sudden....he is a favourite! What has he done in that time to warrant being the favourite?

What a story if Emma Hayes took charge and kept them up. Can see it happening.

Steve Evans taken I suppose.

• Again you can see why Sol Campbell gets pissed off.

• On a separate note. England fans booing Maguire is appalling. The guy has never put a foot wrong for his country. Fickle football fans, quick to forget. If Maguire makes himself unavailable we will soon be booing his backup, because there isn't one as good enough!

• Why are people booing him?

• @eric_plant said:
    Why are people booing him?

Exactly my point! Has he even been that bad for Man Utd?

• @eric_plant said:

The majority of Man U fans live in the South East and they think we should all care that The Mancs are struggling and he is their scapegoat?

• @thecatwwfc said:

@eric_plant said:

Yes. Not justifying the booing because he's been great for England, but yes.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@eric_plant said:

Yes. Not justifying the booing because he's been great for England, but yes.

Surely no worse than any other United player? Have they booed Pogba, Varane or Rashford? Or is it because Maguire is an easy target and doesn't speak up?

• Never understood why he was rated the way he is or why Manc paid so much for him, to me he is a very average PL CB

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Never understood why he was rated the way he is or why Manc paid so much for him, to me he is a very average PL CB

But very suited to England and has never let us down. Perhaps a little unorthodox and doesn't pull down trees, but the best we have at the moment. I trust him over Mings or White at the moment.
    If Pep was in for him at one point, I trust his judgement over any of ours.

• Seriously, if you shell out the money it costs to watch England to then boo a player because you think he hasn't been playing well for his club then you need some serious help

• Watched first half v Côte d’Ivoire. Hadn’t heard of either full-back. Must have sneaked into the England squad while I wasn’t looking. I’m not too well up on Premier League players but we do seem to have a lot of prodigiously talented players these days. Is Eze still in the England squad? I think he’d have a job to get back in if he isn’t.

• edited March 2022

Can anyone tell me why we are playing Cote D’Ivoire in a friendly at Wembley in March. Seems the definition of a pointless fixture of no value to our World Cup preparation.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Can anyone tell me why we are playing Cote D’Ivoire in a friendly at Wembley in March. Seems the definition of a pointless fixture of no value to our World Cup preparation.

I guess it's the last chance we will have to play African opposition with the upcoming Nations League. Switzerland seems more pointless if my theory is correct. Should have played a South American or Asian team.

With the WC in December, and in a new Premier League season, there is so much that will change from now til then, so with that in mind, utterly pointless.

• I find all friendlies pointless...sometimes I think they are to give senior caps to young players who might otherwise have chosen to play for someone else.

• @Forest_Blue said:

International football seems to throw up constant debates about pointlessness.

What's the point for example of England having 4 fixtures in 10 days in June, after a packed season with an even more packed season ahoy, including the ludicrously scheduled winter World cup?

• Cote D'Ivoire were just about the best non-European side available in this window given World Cup qualifiers elsewhere. I get that international friendlies are generally of little value, but six months out of the World Cup there is value in seeing whether fringe players are capable of playing within the system. Being friendlies they don't affect eligibility for other countries.

Not sure how this relates to Darius Charles though...

• edited March 2022

When else are international managers supposed to try things out? It's a World Cup year and Southgate will have very little time with the players between now and the tournament; every game is important. I've got to say, though, this practice of playing opposition from Africa, South America etc. as if one team's style is representative of the whole confederation feels quite outdated.

• @micra said:
    Is Eze still in the England squad? I think he’d have a job to get back in if he isn’t.

He's only started 1 league game all season for Palace so no. Hopefully he can come back from a whole season pretty much wiped out by injury, he's only 23 so plenty of time still.

• ...just been announced that Zaha has picked up a hamstring injury so might be Eze's chance to get a run of games at the end of this season

• He might not even want to play for England