Skip to content

Away fans in the family stand?

2»

Comments

• That is obviously what he's saying. He even references that game the other week where we did exactly that

What a lot of old fuss about nothing

• edited March 2022

@Malone said:
    If there wasn't that direct quote from Rob C saying "....move half of them family side"
    you'd suspect this was a bit of a lost in translation thing.

And that the actual premise being mooted was IF the opposition brings small numbers, we'll have half the away end for home fans.

But why would they need to put away fans in the family stand in that event?

• I don't think that's what he meant

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    If there wasn't that direct quote from Rob C saying "....move half of them family side"
    you'd suspect this was a bit of a lost in translation thing.

And that the actual premise being mooted was IF the opposition brings small numbers, we'll have half the away end for home fans.

But why would they need to put away fans in the family stand in that event?

Exactly, the quote is pretty impossible to misunderstand.

• I trust the club to make the correct decision.

• Hi all, wouldn't look into it too much at the moment - nothing confirmed - The quote/ conversation is a little out of context to the point - its part of a wider conversation about how we best arrange supporters, improving the atmosphere and how we utilize our stadium. We should always be looking to make sure we are reviewing things like this for the best matchday experience in my opinion, but if anything is proposed it will all done the right way and you'll know as soon as anything is confirmed!

• The fact that this discussion is going on is what puts so many people off from attending football at all. It's a very sad illustration of modern society.

• @wingnut said:
    The fact that this discussion is going on is what puts so many people off from attending football at all. It's a very sad illustration of modern society.

The day the Gasroom is illustrative of the whole of modern society we'll all be in big trouble.

• The idea is reasonable enough when we are playing perceived lesser clubs like Fleetwood, Stanley Poxford Crewe etc. But is impractical for the majority of home games

• @Wendoverman said:

@wingnut said:
    The fact that this discussion is going on is what puts so many people off from attending football at all. It's a very sad illustration of modern society.

The day the Gasroom is illustrative of the whole of modern society we'll all be in big trouble.

But I don't think it is those who post here who cause the trouble. It's all those others! Years ago I was in the family stand near some Stoke fans and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

• @Malone said (inter alia):

You don't get to decide who the "nice" and "nasty" away fans are, meaning you could have some of the foulest hardcore being a few seats away from kids in the family stand. That screams risk to me. I remember yonks ago when they did it with Stoke and Millwall fans of all people, and it was horrible.

Not to mention giving the away team more of a boost having fans half way down the pitch as well.

That's before you think about those fans that all clubs have who actually choose to sit right next to the away fans to goad them all game.

Plus any corporate boxes in front of away fans might not appreciate any "feedback" they get from away fans in front of them.

Sounds like @Malone shared your unpleasant experience @wingnut.

• No idea how the yellow highlight happened!

• @micra said:
    No idea how the yellow highlight happened!

I like it. Like a digital post-it note.

• From 1996 to 2001 this happened every now and then when clubs brought large followings. I had a season ticket in the family stand for a couple of years in that time and wasn't a huge fan of it (I remember one particularly boozed-up Stoke fan celebrating in front on young children) but I don't think anyone came to any harm.

• Bit concerned about the nature of the celebration but glad no one came to any harm.

• Putting a fan base with one of the most notorious hooligan firms around right next to the family section hardly screams good idea...

• But we had a smaller away end then, so we either had to shut out considerable numbers of away fans or accept giving over some home areas. Extending the Hillbottom Road End was - I always assumed - a way of preventing the need to do that in the future.

• @Platform_3 said:
    From 1996 to 2001 this happened every now and then when clubs brought large followings. I had a season ticket in the family stand for a couple of years in that time and wasn't a huge fan of it (I remember one particularly boozed-up Stoke fan celebrating in front on young children) but I don't think anyone came to any harm.

Glad you said that. I was beginning to wonder if I’d imagined it. I remember Yeovil and Brighton was about the same.

• Pretty sure we gave Watford the whole of the family stand one year.

• @NewburyWanderer You are quite correct. I believe they were allocated a total of 3,400 tickets.

• My worst experience in the family stand was having a season ticket as a teenager seated next to an older Wycombe fan who relentlessly shouted "you're rubbish aren't you Cornforth!" at every game.