Skip to content

Away fans in the family stand?

Comments

• You'd need to put a proper barrier along the pitchside, plus sort out the problem of away fans entering right alongside home fans - you've obviously got the Frank Adams entrances at either end.

• bit sad when football supporters can't be trusted to enter a ground together and not cause trouble isn't it?

I think it shames football that segregation is needed at all if I'm honest. Don't know why we all accept it so readily. If you can't sit/stand next to a fan of another team for a couple of hours without fighting them I'd rather you stayed at home.

• edited March 2022

It shouldn't need to be that way, but the hostility is an important part of football. Last thing you'd want is for the atmosphere to become like a rugby match ?

• Not sure hostility is the word to describe what I think you are saying

• Shameful indeed but the days of milling about together, a friendly handshake, agreement to differ and a hearty 'well played' have been gone in the professional game for about 50 years @eric_plant we all know it's a minority of nutbags (of which we have a selection) but sadly they have the ability to cause bother disproportionate to their numbers or braincells.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It shouldn't need to be that way, but the hostility is an important part of football. Last thing you'd want is for the atmosphere to become like a rugby match ?

I enjoy the atmosphere at rugby matches. I also enjoy the atmosphere at football matches.

But it should be possible to keep the more tribal nature of football supporting and not fight each other. Why do we all just accept it?

• Maybe more tribalism, but I hate that word because of what it's come to represent. 'Banter' probably best describes it but is an even more awful word.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Shameful indeed but the days of milling about together, a friendly handshake, agreement to differ and a hearty 'well played' have been gone in the professional game for about 50 years @eric_plant we all know it's a minority of nutbags (of which we have a selection) but sadly they have the ability to cause bother disproportionate to their numbers or braincells.

I agree, and I know that segregation is needed. What I'm saying is that it shames football that it is

• edited March 2022

Also, in a more positive sense, there's that feeling of belonging when you're with solely your own team's fans - that's even more important, especially at away games.

• @eric_plant said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Shameful indeed but the days of milling about together, a friendly handshake, agreement to differ and a hearty 'well played' have been gone in the professional game for about 50 years @eric_plant we all know it's a minority of nutbags (of which we have a selection) but sadly they have the ability to cause bother disproportionate to their numbers or braincells.

I agree, and I know that segregation is needed. What I'm saying is that it shames football that it is

I know...and just when we all thought things were improving and we had all matured and boorish, racism and hooliganism in the game was largely dying out or at least limited to the usual few clubs and the idiot faction of England supporters, the last six or so years have seen a complete regression for me.

• Yeah, but you can still all stand/sit together even if it's unsegregated. Many used to in non-league

• Don't Fulham have a mixed section next to the away bit?

• Think they redeveloped that end and got rid of the neutral (I think it was called rather than mixed, but effectively the same thing) section in the process

• The last thing i want is to be sitting near people celebrating when we concede. That's not because i want to punch them, it's because i support Wycombe Wanderers!

Family tickets used to be sold to away fans in the family stand didn't they? I'm not sure i see a benefit to what RC's proposing tho.

• I also can't see this going down too well with season ticket holders in the family stand...

• There was an away enclosure in that stand when it was originally a terrace.

• Listening to it, I got the impression he was talking more about the setup we had for the Cheltenham game, so when there's a small away support expected, we can split the stand and have home fans (possibly schools etc.) on the other side.

• Yes, and that was successful as far as I could see. Although I suspect people were too busy trying to work out where 10 goals had suddenly come from to have a go at each other.

(Thinking about it, I doubt there has ever been a punch thrown as a result of a Wycombe v Cheltenham game, has there? Even when rEdAnDwHiTeFoReVeR was trolling around...)

• The original planning permission for the away end was granted so that all away fans could be put together in one place. This would appear to go against that.

• edited March 2022

Trying to think of the advantages with this. Main one I can think of is making use of the famed "better acoustics" in that end?
    If we're league one still, you'd probably get quite a few clubs only needing half of that away stand anyway. Maybe it maximises room for that?

If we hit the championship, and we were keeping the away stand at 1,800 and creating 100s more in the Family Stand I could understand trying to maximise income, but it specifically says cutting the stand in two.

But there seem to be quite a few potential issues.

You don't get to decide who the "nice" and "nasty" away fans are, meaning you could have some of the foulest hardcore being a few seats away from kids in the family stand. That screams risk to me. I remember yonks ago when they did it with Stoke and Millwall fans of all people, and it was horrible.
    Not to mention giving the away team more of a boost having fans half way down the pitch as well.

That's before you think about those fans that all clubs have who actually choose to sit right next to the away fans to goad them all game.

Plus any corporate boxes in front of away fans might not appreciate any "feedback" they get from away fans in front of them.

Plus as @ReturnToSenda has mentioned, you would need SOME sort of barrier to stop people sprinting on after a goal. It's probably even riskier if they're approaching from the side of the pitch than behind the goal for security.

I think it's as simple as just blocking home fans from entering the Family stand from the direction the away fans do - that's the one easy bit to resolve.

• What's the 'family side?'

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Listening to it, I got the impression he was talking more about the setup we had for the Cheltenham game, so when there's a small away support expected, we can split the stand and have home fans (possibly schools etc.) on the other side.

THIS sounds wise. Maximise an area for home fans for lesser away followings.
    Although I still wonder about putting kids in there!

But it specifically mentions putting the "halved" away fans in the family stand (or side!)

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Yes, and that was successful as far as I could see. Although I suspect people were too busy trying to work out where 10 goals had suddenly come from to have a go at each other.

(Thinking about it, I doubt there has ever been a punch thrown as a result of a Wycombe v Cheltenham game, has there? Even when rEdAnDwHiTeFoReVeR was trolling around...)

The play off home leg the Cheltenham Youth Firm enraged some usually law abiding Wycombe fans so much that a Stone Island woolly got thrown over a fence.

• edited March 2022

The other thing is anyone sitting outside a box will have their view obstructed - you're not going to get away fans to sit down. Utterly stupid idea. Are we a family club or not?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The other thing is anyone sitting outside a box will have their view obstructed - you're not going to get away fans to sit down. Are we a family club or not? Utterly stupid idea.

I think a bit like the Super League fiasco, I'm not totally convinced they quite understand British football fandom yet.
    'Smash the place up? Why would they want to do that?'

• @A_Worboys said:
    The original planning permission for the away end was granted so that all away fans could be put together in one place. This would appear to go against that.

I've seen a number of councillors being given the hospitality treatment recently. Including those who were previously only seen at Adam's Park when the London Parasites were churning up our pitch.
    No doubt a charm offensive is underway towards councillors etc.

• edited March 2022

It's also unnecessary extra hassle for the poor stewards

• The question you have to ask is why, when we can’t sell out other areas of the ground, would you want to split the away end? I’m assuming one half would be given over to home supporters?

Equally as important though is why would I want to rent boxes 1-10 to potentially have my guests abused & sworn at by away fans?

This doesn’t seem to have been properly thought through. I’d like to know if the Trust Board have been consulted on this idea & if so, what their response was?

• edited March 2022

@A_Worboys Only thing I'd say on your second point is that you get a fair few sweaty and abusive box holders - worst I've ever experienced was at the Stourbridge FA Cup game, to the point several fans around turned around and told them to mind their language (admittedly I don't remember any other game that bad, but hox holders can be just as bad as fans in the stands!). I wonder if we'd end up with an away end of the executive area.

• If there wasn't that direct quote from Rob C saying "....move half of them family side"
    you'd suspect this was a bit of a lost in translation thing.

And that the actual premise being mooted was IF the opposition brings small numbers, we'll have half the away end for home fans.