Skip to content

Scott Young

@ChasHarps you appear to know an awful lot about Loakes Park days and former players. Having ‘Young Jack Young’ on the books reminded me we had a player called Scott Young when I was a nipper. When was this and was he any good?

Comments

• Late 80s, wasn't that good really. 25 games, only 3 goals. Did have an impressive 80s-style ginger perm though.

• Cheers @NewburyWanderer I need to see this perm !

• @username123 said:
    @ChasHarps you appear to know an awful lot about Loakes Park days and former players. Having ‘Young Jack Young’ on the books reminded me we had a player called Scott Young when I was a nipper. When was this and was he any good?

Not really, we signed him along with Johnny Ray from Col utd reserves/youth. Ran around a lot, very similar style to Alex Samuel but never really carried a goal threat.
    I think we paid £2500 for Young.

• I thought that Laurence Osbourne was the possessor of the afro, and Scott Young had more of a Nik Kershaw mullet?

• @TwinBrother said:
    I thought that Laurence Osbourne was the possessor of the afro, and Scott Young had more of a Nik Kershaw mullet?

@username123 @TwinBrother Forget about Scott Young's ginger perm, yes I believe his barnet was more of a mullet. I was thinking of Terry Scott from about ten years previous, he had the ginger perm. Left us to go to Germany IIRC, was dubbed 'a poor man's Kevin Keegan' by a letter writer in the BFP.

• @NewburyWanderer said:

@TwinBrother said:
    I thought that Laurence Osbourne was the possessor of the afro, and Scott Young had more of a Nik Kershaw mullet?

@username123 @TwinBrother Forget about Scott Young's ginger perm, yes I believe his barnet was more of a mullet. I was thinking of Terry Scott from about ten years previous, he had the ginger perm. Left us to go to Germany IIRC, was dubbed 'a poor man's Kevin Keegan' by a letter writer in the BFP.

Anyone got a pic of Terry Scott’s ginger perm??

• Sounds like you just need to see a ginger perm @username123 regardless of who’s wearing it.

• Terry Scott's was more blonde than ginger, he would often call for the ball and shriek "But,But Juuuuuuuuuuune".

• Not heard that one @ChasHarps. What did he mean, I wonder?

• It was my attempt at humour, think of June Whitfield .

• @username123 Here you go, number 11 in yellow (obvs).

• If you're using a phone...

• What ground is that?

• Walthamstow Avenue, 28 August 1978.

• If you search the wonderful Wanderers archive site, and go to 78/79 season, there is a wonderful team photo.
    Terry Scott and Peter Spittle both sporting cracking perms, but Dylan Evans wins the perm off, with a great bubble perm.
    I'm sure someone wiith more tech skills can upload.

• Surely that’s Keith Mead second left oin the back row. Why is he wearing a suit?

• Never mind the perms on view, just admire those tashes along the back row.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @username123 Here you go, number 11 in yellow (obvs).

Players were so skinny in those days.

• not all of them.

• Whoops! Just a silly quip based on the distorting mirror effect on my iPhone.

• ha ha! Very good. I was just thinking of the well-built players of yesteryear: Frannie Lee, Terry Venables, John Robertson, Paul Gascoigne, Larry Lloyd. Can we come up with an XI?

• @our_frank said:

ha ha! Very good. I was just thinking of the well-built players of yesteryear: Frannie Lee, Terry Venables, John Robertson, Paul Gascoigne, Larry Lloyd. Can we come up with an XI?

I'd nominate William Foulke, one time Sheffield United goalkeeper. @micra might remember watching him play...

• Peter Garland

• Simon Garner had a bit of timber, still brilliant though.

• Jan Molby would be a certainty but to be honest, as a man built sturdily I am not really for this kind of segregation.

And the Simon Garner suggestion is just wrong.

• @our_frank said:
    ha ha! Very good. I was just thinking of the well-built players of yesteryear: Frannie Lee, Terry Venables, John Robertson, Paul Gascoigne, Larry Lloyd. Can we come up with an XI?

Neville Southall in goal?

• Tomas Brolin up top

• Phil Parkes, (ex QPR & West Ham), could make the GK slot?