Skip to content

Portsmouth (a) - Attendance Prediction - '8 to go' - Match 39 - Sat 19th March 2022

2»

Comments

• 16678 including 987 Chairfolk not ringing cowbells.

• @Ash1987 - I see you have just joined the Gasroom. Welcome indeed and thanks for the contribution on this thread.
    Are you making a prediction or do you have accurate information on the current capacity at Fratton Park?

@railwaysteve said:
    I didn't see that sell out coming, and I can't quickly find any information on what the actual capacity is for our game tomorrow during this particular phase of their redevelopment work.

So it looks like a guess on how many seats are out of commission tomorrow or indeed what areas the contractors have needed to be closed off. Or indeed how many ticket holders will not attend

So no change to the competition rules, one forecast only, if there is a published figure for the current maximum capacity, on here, or if I find one elsewhere, I will declare that as the the deadline point.

Otherwise the deadline is 2pm Sat as normal.

That seems to strike a reasonably fair balance between posting a forecast and waiting.

I have no special knowledge and most of you will know how far out most of my forecasts are.

I go 16395 with 799 Wycombe fans

If @Ash1987 knows the actual capacity for tomorrow that closes this as a prediction thread, but people are welcome to come on here, moan, blame Mel Morris, the EFL or indeed say that we will sing very loud.

• Clearly Derby County's fault!

• If @Ash1987 knows the actual capacity for tomorrow that closes this as a prediction thread, but people are welcome to come on here, moan, blame Mel Morris, the EFL or indeed say that we will sing very loud.

The ground is not sold out and the away end that we are solely in has hundreds of empty seats. In fact it probably won’t even be half full.

Add in the closure of one part of the ground for redevelopment about 7 weeks ago and I can’t imagine anyone knows the true capacity.

It’s a great shame we have not been given more tickets in the away end.

• 16100 including 975 Chairfolk.

• @wwfcblue Won't we be sharing the end with home fans as we've done before?

• Thanks for the welcome railwaysteve.

At the start of January the chief executive advised the fans 'The other factor is Fratton Park's capacity reduces from January 8, because of the North Stand Lower works, so we're back down to 16,200'.

Portsmouth have been selling home tickets in the Milton end (away stand) the last few games due to lower away followings at fratton. There has been some uproar from the fans for this game that the club won't or can't sell tickets in the Milton end for this game but that is due to a higher away following from Wycombe compared to Doncaster Accrington etc. The Milton end at this time is not designed to be able to segregate between larger away followings and home fans in that end. It used to be, not sure what's changed.

There would have been plenty of home fans in the Milton end had the tickets been sold for that stand.

Pompey have sold every ticket that has been made available to them for the game tomorrow. Wycombe have too. There will be empty seats especially in the south stand upper as some of these seats are not on sale currently due to health and safety concerns.

The capacity was/is 16200 at the start of january but it could be slightly lower now due to ground works. I've not heard any change to that figure though for the current capacity.

Should be a good game and I anticipate a 1 1 draw.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @wwfcblue Won't we be sharing the end with home fans as we've done before?

No, the home fans are not happy as the away end is solely ours, we will be surrounded by hundreds of empty seats.

• Oh FFS! That's my prediction miles out then!
    I had wrongly assumed that they were selling 1200-1400 tickets in the Milton End to home fans and a further 1000 available for WWFC with about 200-400 not being sold to Wycombe or Portsmouth for segregation.
    Suspect attendance will be about 15200 then.
    Although, I believe the council did sign off 17400 as max capacity over the summer for this season. so could be as much as 16000.

• 15,400 including 800 Wanderers

• @Commoner said:
    Oh FFS! That's my prediction miles out then!
    I had wrongly assumed that they were selling 1200-1400 tickets in the Milton End to home fans and a further 1000 available for WWFC with about 200-400 not being sold to Wycombe or Portsmouth for segregation.
    Suspect attendance will be about 15200 then.
    Although, I believe the council did sign off 17400 as max capacity over the summer for this season. so could be as much as 16000.

Since the summer they have started to develop one section of the North Stand and closed it in January. So that’s well down on its normal capacity.

• 15,972 including 843 away

• Many years ago i attended a match there with my son who was working in the area. They were playing Mansfield and one open end of the ground was set aside for their supporters. There were quite a few police in attendance but only about 6 visiting supporters turned up. The police outnumbered them. It looked rather ridiculous.

• 15850 including 1000 wanderers

• 16400 with 989 Wycombe

• No idea if this is valid as I’m thoroughly confused, but;

15678 with 876

• Match Day morning 29 predictions in -

I guess someone at Pompey knows how many have been sold, but I think we are all still guessing so the competition stays open for now. The normal deadline of 2pm will apply, I suspect, unless one of the clubs tweets something.

I'll think of a better set of rules for sell outs ready for when we reach the Championship. There probably shoud be a benefit to predicting early.

I won't be posting any reminders this week as I am travelling down there from East Anglia.

Chairboys!

• Great that you're going to the game @railwaysteve. I'll be there too. Up the Chairboys!

• 15888 including 999 us

• Enjoy the game, you two (and everyone else!)

Delighted to say that I was able to board my flight to Vipienne.

• 16,198, with 1202 chairboys

• I know i'm well out, just leave my prediction how it is.

• 16,000 with 1,000 away

• 15,874 with 806 most welcome visitors from the Chair Metropolis.

• 15,987 with 908 away

• edited March 2022

@DevC said:
    15187 with 562 arriving on their chariots enjoying a score of Wyc i-o Pompey

Must be a mention in dispatched for @DevC today - for overall attendance - and he posted first.

15092 given on Sky

• 958 given as the away figure. Think that's the highest turnout we've had there.
    Virtually the whole away end was open to Wycombe fans, just a small section roped off to the side as far as I could see, so around 2,800 seats apparently. How can they call it a sellout? A fair number of empty seats in some of the home sections too.

• Just used the spreadsheet to work out the best scores and @Twizz is absolutely correct.

@Twizz said:

@DevC said:
    15187 with 562 arriving on their chariots enjoying a score of Wyc i-o Pompey

Must be a mention in dispatched for @DevC today - for overall attendance - and he posted first.

15092 given on Sky

Many congratulations to @DevC and another award of Forecaster of the Week.

Confusion ruled with regard to predicting - sell out information was somewhat misleading as evidence at the ground was that there were empty seats which we could have sold. Perhaps that was just due to some miscommunication.

So just a top five this week for the total attendance:

1 @DevC whose prediction of 15187 was out by 95
    2 @wwfcblue whose prediction of 15318 was out by 226
    3 @SmiroludyBlue whose prediction of 15335 was out by 243
    4 @YorkExile whose prediction of 15400 was out by 308
    5 @bookertease whose prediction of 15678 was out by 586

The prediction honour sheet for our very vocal away support to follow. I really did enjoy being back at a away game.

Up the Blues.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    958 given as the away figure. Think that's the highest turnout we've had there.
    Virtually the whole away end was open to Wycombe fans, just a small section roped off to the side as far as I could see, so around 2,800 seats apparently. How can they call it a sellout? A fair number of empty seats in some of the home sections too.

I’ve only been there a couple of times. I’m not sure about the night of the biblical scale thunderstorm (which, remarkably, was in late October) but it felt like well over a thousand on the other occasion which was on a Saturday afternoon.