Skip to content

Jersey Bulls

2»

Comments

• It must be something in the air at Adams Park! Different air (and lots of it, some hot) at Fratton Park.

• The result was an upset, the first 'home' defeat for the Bulls, against a team second from bottom and still four points from safety.

The attendance was 129, which was disappointing, not many locals or goundhoppers there then. The match was streamed outside of the UK, for £5.50 I think it was.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    The result was an upset, the first 'home' defeat for the Bulls, against a team second from bottom and still four points from safety.

The attendance was 129, which was disappointing, not many locals or goundhoppers there then. The match was streamed outside of the UK, for £5.50 I think it was.

Explain dissapointing to me. A random team airlifts in to a random ground and 129 people watch. What is a normal home crowd for Jersey Bulls? Are the other team well supported?

Using dissapointing suggests a dissapointment in people who really have no reason to take this judgement.

• I can understand @Steve_Peart’s disappointment. I don’t know how well advertised the match was but it was an interesting and unusual initiative and an opportunity for Banstead supporters to see their team playing in a well appointed Football League stadium in lovely cloudless spring weather and on a superb playing surface. Properly advertised, I would have thought the match might have attracted a few hundred locals as well.

I wonder if the American sounding name of the visitors put people off (or am I just being mischievous)?

• Not disappointment in people, disappointing for Jersey Bulls in their bold venture. Recent home games are around 700-800. Banstead's gates are not given and are likely to be low. I think the Bulls would have hoped the match generated a bit more interest, it's unusual to play a tier 9 league game at an EFL ground.

I remember when Wealdstone ground shared with Watford, in the early 90s, and going to Vicarage Road to see them play a league game for the novelty value.

• Bit of a trek for the Jersey fans, tbf!

• In my ignorance I'd assumed the Jersey Bulls were an NFL team. As personally I wouldn't cross the road to watch an NFL game, I hadn't given going to AP a seconds thought. Sounds like my loss to be honest.

• @Right_in_the_Middle
    There are a lot of people who support Non-League football (& are involved with clubs, both officials & players) to whom this game would have been of interest - just from a curiosity point of view. If you go & watch a local team e.g. Risborough Rangers or Flackwell Heath when there’s no other games on it’s amazing how many people turn up from other clubs to watch.

The Jersey Bulls v Banstead Athletic game was played on a Saturday when 1,000 diehard Blues fans were at Fratton Park but all the other local Non-League teams had a game. There was a lovely piece on the Jersey Bulls game in last week’s Non-League Paper but the timing of the match was impractical for so many would-be attendees. I certainly would have gone had it been today (Sunday) & I’m sure the crowd would have topped 500 instead of 129.

Next Saturday is “Non-League Day” when lots of curious & occasional fans will turn up at local Non-League clubs and bumper crowds will be recorded across the country. There is a huge pool of people who, although having a favourite team to support, will go and watch matches of interest. At a recent Holmer Green v Risborough Rangers match one person next to me had travelled from Lowestoft in Suffolk & another from Southampton - both to watch a local Bucks derby in the Spartan South Midlands League!

The Jersey Bulls v Banstead game sounded very exciting but it was simply played at a time inconvenient for a large number of people that would otherwise gone along to watch.

• @A_Worboys said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle
    There are a lot of people who support Non-League football (& are involved with clubs, both officials & players) to whom this game would have been of interest - just from a curiosity point of view. If you go & watch a local team e.g. Risborough Rangers or Flackwell Heath when there’s no other games on it’s amazing how many people turn up from other clubs to watch.

The Jersey Bulls v Banstead Athletic game was played on a Saturday when 1,000 diehard Blues fans were at Fratton Park but all the other local Non-League teams had a game. There was a lovely piece on the Jersey Bulls game in last week’s Non-League Paper but the timing of the match was impractical for so many would-be attendees. I certainly would have gone had it been today (Sunday) & I’m sure the crowd would have topped 500 instead of 129.

Next Saturday is “Non-League Day” when lots of curious & occasional fans will turn up at local Non-League clubs and bumper crowds will be recorded across the country. There is a huge pool of people who, although having a favourite team to support, will go and watch matches of interest. At a recent Holmer Green v Risborough Rangers match one person next to me had travelled from Lowestoft in Suffolk & another from Southampton - both to watch a local Bucks derby in the Spartan South Midlands League!

The Jersey Bulls v Banstead game sounded very exciting but it was simply played at a time inconvenient for a large number of people that would otherwise gone along to watch.

So would you say it was right to describe an attendance of 129 as a disappointment?

• Remember Andy that at this level players hold jobs. In this case many would need a flight home. Sunday night flights to Jersey tend to be quite expensive as mostly aimed at business commuters.

• @DevC said:
    Remember Andy that at this level players hold jobs. In this case many would need a flight home. Sunday night flights to Jersey tend to be quite expensive as mostly aimed at business commuters.

Not sure about flights on Sunday evening but their CEO said their midweek away routine is to catch a flight back at 07:30 the next morning, in time to be at work that day.

• A 1pm kick-off on the Sunday would have been fine, allowing a teatime hop back to Jersey from Southampton. I thought more people who didn’t travel to Portsmouth might have gone along for a look & I would have expected a few more from Banstead - friends & family of players watching them play on an EFL ground. In that respect I would have anticipated 250 being there so I suppose 129 is a bit disappointing. I’d like to hear some interviews with the players as to how it felt playing at a League One stadium.

• @A_Worboys that Holmer v Risborough game was 70% groundhoppers looking for their 5th game over the Christmas period. Bloke next to me came up from Gosport to tick off the famous Watchet Lane venue

• I would imagine the parking put everyone off..

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Steve_Peart said:
    The result was an upset, the first 'home' defeat for the Bulls, against a team second from bottom and still four points from safety.

Explain dissapointing to me. A random team airlifts in to a random ground and 129 people watch. What is a normal home crowd for Jersey Bulls? Are the other team well supported?

Using dissapointing suggests a dissapointment in people who really have no reason to take this judgement.

A bit of a miserable post, but I agree with it to the letter!!