Skip to content

RIP Shane Warne

2»

Comments

• I absolutely hated watching Warne cut England batting lineups into little ribbons in my youth, though looking back it was a privilege to see such outstanding cricket, the likes of which we'll be lucky to see again. The Ashes win in 2005 was all the sweeter for having been against one of the great Aussie bowling attacks with arguably the greatest leggie of them all.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I remember bunking off school to watch Botham when he hit one of his hundreds in the "Bothams Ashes" series... got in serious trouble at home for that, but it was worth it !

It's so difficult to pick an all time 11 so I tend not to try as you could probably pick 3 or 4 different teams, reason I tried not to on the Wycombe one haha

I was at primary school and one of the teachers stuck her head in the class and said 'anyone want to watch history being made?'. And if you were so inclined we were allowed to watch THAT day happen on a TV on a stand with wheels. I don't know why that lady had the foresight to do that, I can't remember at what point in the day it happened but it was something I will never forget.

I contacted an Aussie family member to send our thoughts. I said we hated him when he ball in hand but knew what a genius we were watching.

• I heard Mike Gatting pay tribute today and it reminded me of this by the incomparable DLM

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I heard Mike Gatting pay tribute today and it reminded me of this by the incomparable DLM

Not heard that before. Lovely! Thanks for sharing.

• Likewise, that’s brilliant!

• Sorry, DLM?

• Duckworth Lewis Method!

• Good afternoon @micra they are a musical duo named after the impenetrable method of calculating cricket results when rain stops play. All their songs are cricket related and imo amusing a little like Flanders and Swan . I highly recommend giving them a listen.

• Fancy you, @micra, not recognising DLM as an abbreviation of Duckworth Lewis Method? Of all the posters, I'd expect you to be the one capable of explaining it to the rest of us!
    Even more difficult to follow that PPG.

• Thank goodness for that comma @Twizz !

You’re right of course and I can only plead ignorance as a result of skimming the thread and not having listened to the song. I’d certainly never heard of the musical duo (who didn’t come up on Google) and I’ve never seen an abbreviated version of the Duckworth Lewis Method. But I do remember Lord Beginner and that wonderful calypso about the feats of Sonny Ramadhin and Alfi Valentine and their West Indian teammates in beating England 3-1 in their first ever series here in 1950. I found a recording via Google but have no idea how to download it on to the Gasroom.

Many thanks to @Lloyd2084 and @MorrisItal_ .

• @Twizz said:

(DLM…)Even more difficult to follow that PPG.

Thanks Twizz - wondered how I was going to fill the next 4-6 weeks before my heart bypass (heart attack on Sunday and now confined to hospital!!). I’ll get my laptop brought in and run analysis of PPG for the EFL for past 10 years to compare PPG against final positions based on number of Match weekends. Will assume at least half season must have been played before PPG could be effected. If anyone is interested I’ll write up the analysis somewhere.

If anyone has suggestions/ideas for how they might like a breakdown please let me know

• really sorry to hear that @carrickblue but glad you are in the right place to get it sorted. Hope it's a short stay and you get to watch the Wanderers while you're there.

• Good luck with the internal renovations @carrickblue

• @our_frank said:
    really sorry to hear that @carrickblue but glad you are in the right place to get it sorted. Hope it's a short stay and you get to watch the Wanderers while you're there.

The hospital is in the Vipienne area - just not sure a match against table toppers is on the prescribed list of medications

• Was supposed to be watching Coleraine in cup final on Sunday. I can see the bloody stadium from the ward window but obviously can’t go.

• can you see the pitch, like Loakes Park?

• @our_frank said:
    can you see the pitch, like Loakes Park?

That would have been great - but no it’s Windsor Park, NI National Stadium so pretty enclosed these days

• Very sorry to hear about your heart attack, @carrickblue. Hope all goes well for you over the coming weeks.

• Thanks @Forest_Blue for downloading that wonderful recording. On reflection, it was Cy Grant that I remember hearing on the BBC Tonight show hosted by Cliff Michelmore - the late ‘50s/early’60s equivalent of The One Show. Cy had a regular calypso spot on the programme and the most memorable was the one that celebrated the achievements of Ramadhin & Valentine.

Good to see Forest doing so well. I was going to say “pulling up trees” but wasn’t sure whether that meant the same as “setting the Thames on fire”. I don’t think it does.

• Yes, thanks @Forest_Blue, that was ace.

• Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery @carrickblue.

• Does anyone remember Lance Perceval doing topical calypsos regularly on the BBC?